Trainer Question

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Trainer Question

Post by ladyjubilee »

Our trainer moved. The company has hired a new trainer, who apparently has a lot of experience and is respected.

But I haven't met this person. I kind of envisioned we'd meet him a the last session with our prior trainer, but no.

When we decided to go with this company it was after an evaluation with the trainer and several recommendations of THAT trainer from other dog trainers in our area. (I later found the company itself is well respected.)

I called and left a message asking that the new trainer call me to go over plans for the next session. What I got was a return call from the receptionist reminding me of the cost.

This bothers me. Is my expectation of wanting know who I will be paying over $100 an hour to work with unreasonable? I'm not really concern he won't be qualified, but more we won't mix. Let's face it, we're not the regular K9 training clients, and not everyone has been exposed to severe autism.

Also up until now, I've "followed the program". However, last night my son undid two locks and went out the front door-in a storm. (Elopement isn't normal for him.) I really need her trained to find him, as a priority. Is it ok for me to press for that training...or do we keep following the plan?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Trainer Question

Post by centrop67 »

Wow. It's a new person in in your son and Brambles's life. Your're damn right to be concerned.

The person who answered the phone may not be familiar with everything going on, but someone there is, and you should push all the way until someone cares.

BTW - my wife's name is Karen.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Hmmm, I'm not sure exactly who called me back if it was your wife sorry I was short. I have to be honest, I was kind of frustrated at that point not being called back by the trainer and being reminded multiple times of the cost...which I already knew and agreed to pay.

I'm just not experienced enough to know if this normal in the industry or if I'm being unrealistic.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I am sorry. I didn't mean to mislead you. I was playing off the pushy Karen meme (Always asking for the manager).

I should have been more straightforward.

I was just trying to say that you need to be clear and firm with them about your overall needs.

You seem to have had lots of success with the original trainer, so it's a shame you cannot keep that continuity.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I called the facility today and spoke with the owner. He had the new trainer call me. I think we're all set with the new trainer :)
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

Dogs like duchies should be fairly automatic in tracking familier and motivated for scents. The biggest problem I've always faced was in teaching patients so as not to blast right past and off track after either strong air scenting, cross contamination or just a plain more interesting track like other animals or other dogs.
When u do practice make a new scent trail. Your yard and house is going to be cross track saturated.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I am really hoping she can do it. One of my dogs could find my keys, my car and my nephew. But it was just a game and not serious work.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Hopefully the new trainer will be just as good (or better) than the last. So far, you've been the poster child for the importance of having a good trainer, and I would love for that to continue.
Michael
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

We have trained with two trainers. One is better in my opinion than the other, but both are awesome. I was lucky to find the better of the two in Utah where we will be full time in 18 months from now. Best wishes on your adventures to finding a trainer that meets your needs.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG