Dutch Shepherds in the News (July 2020)

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Dutch Shepherds in the News (June 2020)

Post by centrop67 »

K9 cops take the oath of office in Terrebonne Parish
Story Link
wwl.radio.com wrote:"Most of the dogs acknowledged the oaths with barks," Deputy John DeSantis explained.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Hero anti-terror dog gets new LEASH of life after retiring from long arm of the PAW
Story Link
www.thefirstnews.com wrote:Rico the nine-year-old Dutch Shepherd became a legend on the force for helping to bring down some of Poland’s most dangerous crooks, including drug dealers, murderers and organised crime mobsters.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

centrop67 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:13 pm K9 cops take the oath of office in Terrebonne

"Most of the dogs acknowledged the oaths with barks," Deputy John DeSantis explained.

Love it!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Union County Sheriff's Office K-9 dog to retire
Story Link
www.djournal.com wrote:Deputy Adam Fitts, the sheriff’s office K-9 Unit officer, has been Dutch’s handler for the past seven years. Once Dutch retires he will continue to live with Fitts. Dutch is a Dutch Shepherd, and he is expected to officially retire sometime in August.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Maxton police offer $200 reward in search for stolen puppies
Story Link
www.robesonian.com wrote:MAXTON — Police here are asking the public’s help in locating two stolen 3-month-old Dutch Shepherd police puppies.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Cancer-sniffing dogs: Program harnessing dogs’ sense of smell could be key to detecting disease
Story Link
www.jerseysbest.com wrote:The brindle-colored Dutch shepherd named Lucy bounded into the sterile room, panting softly, her bushy tail wagging slightly, the pads of her paws clomping against the white floor tiles. She took her time circling a metal, wagon wheel-like contraption, carefully sniffing a series of ports sticking out on the ends, which contained different types of blood plasma.

Lucy sniffed one, two, three, four, then five of them. Suddenly, she turned back to the fourth. She stopped there, her wet nose pressed against the port — and the one correctly containing plasma from a confirmed ovarian cancer patient.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Botetourt County K-9 unit discovers illegal drugs
Story Link
www.wdbj7.com wrote:A Dutch Shepherd named Jaap (pronounced Yopp) and his partner Deputy K.T. Smusz responded to a complaint about suspicious activity Monday morning.

They discovered a variety of illegal narcotics, including marijuana, methamphetamine, heroin and a substance believed to be fentanyl.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

K9 sniffs out guns, drugs and cash on Interstate-65.
Story Link
www.theindychannel.com wrote:(K9) Gunny was called to the scene and indicated a search of the vehicle was in order. Over $34,000 in cash, two guns and a "large quantity" of marijuana was found, according to Clinton County Sheriff Rich Kelly.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

This story is a little different.

The fate of the town's only K-9 Duchess (a DS) is in Limbo. The town's mayor says they don't need the dog.

I hope there's a follow-up story, so we can find out the fate of the dog.

Cherokee officer awaiting hearing set for Tuesday
Story Link
www.timesdaily.com wrote:(Officer Clay) Wilson handles the town's canine drug/tracking officer — Duchess, a young Dutch Shepherd that has been a part of the police force since last August.
(Mayor Terry) Cosby said Cherokee, at this time, doesn't need the dog. "We don't have anyone in the Police Department willing to handle her," he said.

Cosby said he also was concerned about some unexplained injuries to the dog, including a foot injury and a significant scar across her snout.
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Oh, that is terrible. I really hope the "unexplained" injuries were not abuse.

Hope they update the story after the Council meeting.

That said, this seems to be another instance where agencies "get a dog", but don't really "get a handler". Not to knock anyone, particularly considering I'm a terrible handler, but we encountered a working police dog at an event. I was surprised when the officer had to reinforce the sit command by physically making the dog sit. I *know* rely on Bramble the not a DS' ecollar too much, but I just remember thinking, hmmm at some point that powerful animal is going to be more powerful than you. Of course this was around the time Bramble pulled me out of my shoes

So, anyway, it seems it might be good for training facilities to have a handler standard.

I hope they work out a good hone for her. She is beautiful.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Child lost and found at Stub Stewart State Park
Story Link
www.bankspost.com wrote:"Special thanks to HPD Officer (Mike) Lee and K9 Oso (a five-year-old Dutch Shepherd) for tracking and locating him," the Sheriff's Office said in a post on their Twitter page.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Harrisburg Police Department is welcoming two K9 additions
Story Link
www.abc27.com wrote:HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) — The Harrisburg police department is welcoming two new additions to its K9 unit. Hawk a three-year-old dutch shepherd joined the force with new handler.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Morris County K-9 Tim tracks burglary suspect to vacant home
Story Link
www.dailyrecord.com wrote:(Det. Mark) Adamsky and Tim, a 3-year-old Dutch Shepherd, also teamed to produce a suspect surrender on July 12 in Chatham Township, working with Det. Michael McMahon and his K-9 partner, Kai, the sheriff's office said.
Michael