Vet says puppy needs training

sfollis
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We will be getting our dutch shepherd in about 2 weeks.

Vet says puppy needs training

Post by sfollis »

I just took our 4 month old DS to the vet. The tech brought him out and said he needs major training. He tried to bite them several times. However, we don't see this behavior at home. We can pull on ears, feet, and tail, look in his mouth, and handle him anywhere on his body ( all for the purpose of a vet being able to handle him). We can stick our hands in his mouth, and in his food, with no signs of aggression. We can pull a favorite toy out of his mouth with no issues. She said he needs socialization. He is timid around other dogs and is friendly with people he comes in contact with.

We have been diligently training him ourselves. But maybe he needs more?

Any advice or can anyone recommend a trainer in the North Texas area (we live in Denton).

Thank you!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Vet says puppy needs training

Post by centrop67 »

I don't think this is a surprise for a breed that is very loyal and bonded to their owners - and typically just one person.

With the current state of not being able to be with the vet during examination, your dog decided to stick up for itself in the most Dutch Shepherd way possible.

I think you have to pursue two courses of action:

1. Train him to wear a muzzle for these occasions. There are lots of ways to do this, but this is my trainer's method that we are performing now with my new rescue DS:
- Slow progression of placing a little honey in the muzzle and getting him to go in and lick it up. Don't do the strap until he is really comfortable going in for the honey, and then don't fasten it - just wrap the strap around and release the muzzle. Eventually, you can start strapping it on. You don't have to use honey, but it works well. Just make sure that it is a high value treat if you use a substitute.

2. Socialization is overrated in my opinion, but this is typically going to be achieved by doing your training session in public places - NOT the dog park. Make sure you have a solid foundation of obedience at home before venturing into this arena.

A trainer is also going to be a good idea. Not because you can't do most on your own, but because you need a 2nd pair of eyes to guide you thru trouble spots. I wish I had a better trainer (like the one I have now) for my first Dutch Shepherd. I can't recommend anyone in your area, but I know we have some Texas members here on the forum who might.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I think I better expand on my socialization comment...

I didn't really mean to say overrated. I think I meant "misunderstood". You may or may not want your dog to be friendly with all other humans and dogs, and I think it's unrealistic to expect that. When you're training in public be firm about who you let approach, and enforce them asking permission to approach or even pet your dog. This is an area where you're really going to want professional help.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
sfollis
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We will be getting our dutch shepherd in about 2 weeks.

Post by sfollis »

Centrope,

Thank you for the excellent advice. Funny, I told my husband that I think he would have acted differently if I was with him. We have a muzzle for him, just need to get him used to it :)
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I have a slightly different view.

Vets aren't trainers, by any stretch. However, I would take the advice seriously. Most vets are familiar with powerful breeds, even if they aren't with DS...and a lot of vets undervalue the benefit of professional training.

To me, this suggests the vet saw something more than just a separated or anxious power breed.

Bramble needed a professional trainer. She was on her way to being a dangerous dog because despite having had very well behaved dogs for years, I over estimated my ability to train/care for her.

At a minimum, I would meet with a real K9 trainer for an evaluation, then decide.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Eh Yea idk you’ve got a 4 month old dutchie that likes to mouth hands arms etc... big surprise there!! :roll: :lol: maybe the tech doesn’t have much experience but these dogs are going to bite on things especially at that age. Cant say it was aggression cause we weren’t there but anyone who is not used to mals and Dutch puppies are going to be like what the hell...

I would definitely recommend training tho as early as you can. Always good to get started early. I’m in Austin and could recommend some trainers in my general area. Most are north austin but I do know of a trainer in the Dallas area. Look at http://dallask9.com/. He’s a known solid trainer in Texas and does protection sports and police k9 training.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas