Mustang Training

General issues of training/education
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Mustang Training

Post by borellar15 »

So one thing I would mention by watching the previous video not the new one. Aside from the excessive clicking the new video looks great but the previous one, once his butt hits the ground it should be click - reward. I noticed he sat a couple times no clicks he got up and had to reset him etc. as soon as his butt hits the ground click and reward. I saw the one time he sat and you waited a few seconds and then gave him the click and reward. By that time the association with the behavior is gone.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I've kind of moved into needing him to remain in place until released more than obeying the sit/down. Thus, I don't reward him upon correction, but for remaining in place.

I probably could have waited longer for him to remain there as that is really what I am trying to achieve.

The excessive clicking in the second video was because he was being jackpotted for remaining in place so well.

He's 100% on sit/down when not stressed by the environment.

I just came back from a visit with the trainer, and we are going to start doing more walks in brand new environments to build his confidence. Not high stress environments, but new places, sounds, traffic etc.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble sometimes reminds in place after free. The trainer says that since free really means you can do what you want, its fine-she's doing what she wants.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

We've started taking Mustang to new places to try to help build his confidence in new environments.

More downs than ups, but tonight we had a good trip to the jetties of a nearby marina. He even did okay passing close to a reactive husky.

Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Damn snow dogs
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:48 pm Damn snow dogs
:lol:

I think they're a little out of place in South Florida, but there are a lot of them here.

In that photo, Mustang is actually staring at another one that was at the end of the jetties.
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

One thing that helped Bramble was having sessions out in the lobby of the center during pick up times. Then the trainer brought his well trained dog into training and we worked heel at ever closer steps. (Remember Bramble was VERY reactive.) Then he brought in a sassy little Australian cattle dog.

Now, at least when she has the ecollar on, she can behave around other dogs. At least before COVID, she could even go to dog events. It was one of the big things we had to overcome before she could start service training.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I know it's been a while since I posted here, and that has a lot to do with it not going so well :cry:

My trainer has been out of town giving SAR classes in Georgia, so we've been on our own for the last couple of weeks.

Our main goal while she was gone was to expose him to new places to try to build his confidence. Unfortunately, it's rare for him not to completely shut down.

There have been a few very positive days, but it does not seem to be progressing or consistent.

The places we take him are mostly low-traffic parks where we simply walk and ask very little of him other than no pulling on the leash.

Occasionally, I'll ask for a place on a bench, picnic table, or large rock. We also just chill out on a bench where I reward him for relaxed behavior.

I've also been working at least one time a day to reinforce the place-sit-down in the front yard or living room. He seems quite bored with that, and is slow to respond to commands now :eew:

I've tried to mix things up a little and even worked on some new training/games I know and did with Radar, but he isn't interested at all in them.

Hopefully, we can right the ship when the trainer gets back to town, but I am quite frustrated.

:pint: :pint: :pint:

Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

How does he respond to carrying pack? Do you think it might help him feel secure?

Also, could you funnel some of the nervous energy into work? I find Bramble does better in New situations when she is working. Having a purpose seems to give her a focus and seems to increase her confidence.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Ugh. Sorry man. I'm sure you'll find the right approach for him!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

He already knows the place command. They can learn that very quickly. No need for food anymore and many repetitions. Incorporate this command in every day life now. He is commanded to settled down next to you be it wherever. Also what do you do when or if he ignores you ? Obviously I am not a dog trainer so don’t listen to me...lol
Tim
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Mustang would all but refuse to walk anywhere without our other dog Leela alongside, but through a lot (I mean a lot) of walks in new places including high traffic cities, malls, and parks, he is starting to show a lot more confidence.

I know consistency matters, and I am happy with actually seeing progress now, It's slow, but the fact that things are getting better is encouraging.

The trainer had us bring him to a high traffic outdoor mall, and I recorded most of the trip.

It's not the most exciting thing to watch for most, but if you know the struggles we've had, it's actually pretty impressive the strides we have made.

The elevator ride freaked him out, but the 3rd time wasn't quite as bad as the first.

Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I hadn't that of escalators! We will have to work in that.

He's doing great. Seems far more confident now.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I can't believe how long it has been since I posted about his training, but TBH it's a snail's pace.

He is so confident at home and in our backyard, but get him out in public and his head is on a swivel. He's paranoid of even innocuous things.

This video is from last Friday. His reward for relaxing is we leave. It's taken as much as an hour to get there, but the last 3 days it's been around 10 minutes.

Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

:wtg: :wtg: :wtg:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

He's doing so well :)
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Keep at it. I took Riddick everywhere when he was little and I mean everywhere. We went to the park near daily, to the river front walk with tons of people, to outdoor festivals with fireworks, even to bars and the occasional live concerts. That on top of doing the obedience training for the first couple years before doing bitework later. I think socializing them and exposing them to new places at a young age is extremely important for their development.