Is our dog a Dutch Shepherd?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
bern79
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We own 2 dogs. Our first a boston terrier. Our second a rescue dog we think might be dutch shepherd or at least part.

Is our dog a Dutch Shepherd?

Post by bern79 »

Hi,

We got our dog from a rescue when she was about 4 months old. The rescue said she was a German Shepherd/Black Lab mix. They said she was found by the side of a road on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota abandoned with her litter mates and mother. They were all hungry with the mother no longer lactating. She doesn't really look like a black lab and has the brindle in her which a kennel owner said looks like a dutch shepherd. From the photos of DS's she seems like it. She is 3 yrs old, 70 lbs. and 27" at the shoulder. For you DS owner's I would appreciate your input whether or not she looks like a DS from the photos below. My daughter wants to find out and we are considering doing the Wisdom genetic test but see that they cannot discern the DS breed. I suppose the test could tell if she has any brindle breed in her like greyhound or Plott Hound. She is a pretty fast runner, is relatively obedient, stays in our unfenced backyard fairly reliably. She is sweet, and has a slightly goofy personalty. She has a pretty good guard dog bark but is really kind of a chicken.

Thanks in advance

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99723488@N ... 617454796/

bern79
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We own 2 dogs. Our first a boston terrier. Our second a rescue dog we think might be dutch shepherd or at least part.

Re: Is our dog a Dutch Shepherd?

Post by bern79 »

Let me try copying the images again. I had to look down the FAQ for the 10 step process to do this!

Thanks
bern79
Just Whelped

Post by bern79 »

Oh yeah I forgot to say one of her ears droops a little also and she loves to swim.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Well, if the rescue found the pups with their mother, then they know half of the mix. Do you know what the mother looked like? I definitely see GSD or some sort of hound with the black saddle on the coat, but not really DS except for the brindle, which could be from a lot of dogs. I would guess GSD/plott hound mix.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I kind of see shepherd ears and the long legs, but it really is hard to tell. He sure is pretty!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Mod moved post.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
JerryLeeK9
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First time shepherd rescue who has wanted a pure shepherd since I was a kid. Now that I have the finances and space for it I took the plunge and I think I may have ended up with a part Dutchie! As soon as I met him my reserves for a pure GSD went out the window

Post by JerryLeeK9 »

WOW, I just adopted a rescue shepherd last week that looks very similar.

We think Jerry Lee is about 2 and a half years old but exactly how you describe her temperament. He's easy to handle, laid back and although he's on crate rest for heartworm treatment I don't see him straying far from my side.I do feel JL looks a bit more DS/GSD than your girl but your girl could very well be DS/GSD. A black lab/GSD would not yield such a slim and tall rib cage, labs are thicker and not as sleek IMO. GSDs or Black labs don't even have brindle genes so throw that out the window. I will say the face (eyes spacing) does look a bit lab and its possible to have something other than GSD/DS but who knows. I see the black being a GSD saddle. Just my opinion from hours of research for my rescue.

I just had to comment on here because of the similarities. If anyone could weight in that would be great, we may have an extremely similar mix. JL is a brindle with black saddle just like yours, even has the white chest patch and toes. The profile of her running in the snow is incredibly similar to Jerry Lee's build. Even if my pics don't seem like it, if our dogs were in the same room, anyone with eyes would think they are related. Would it be crazy to think.... ? Probably not possible but I just thought it was scary similar.
Attachments
JL06.jpg
JL06.jpg (105.21 KiB) Viewed 13372 times
WP952014010495002.jpg
WP952014010495002.jpg (281.14 KiB) Viewed 13372 times
JerryLee01.jpg
JerryLee01.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 13372 times
JerryLee04.jpg
JerryLee04.jpg (245.74 KiB) Viewed 13372 times
JerryLeeK9
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First time shepherd rescue who has wanted a pure shepherd since I was a kid. Now that I have the finances and space for it I took the plunge and I think I may have ended up with a part Dutchie! As soon as I met him my reserves for a pure GSD went out the window

Post by JerryLeeK9 »

Bummer... wish I would have gotten an opinion on our abnormally similar mixes.

No one?
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Actually labs do have brindle. I found a litter of them once out by a shooting range that some jerk dropped off, two brindles, two black labs, and a yellow lab- all in the same litter. I did some searching and found out that brindle labs do exist but it is rare and breeders won't breed to labs with brindles in their bloodlines. I re-homed all five of the lab puppies and two of them are living on a horse farm in South East, Indiana. One of those two is a brindle female lab.

M
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Sorry, for the delayed response. I definitely see the GSD in your dog! He is gorgeous. There is, of course, always the possibility and that there is Dutch in the woodpile too, but the brindle could come from a lot of different breeds. Rescues/shelters always try to find 2 breeds to fit the picture of the dog. In reality, it is probably the result of multiple crosses. If mom was a GSD, dad was likely a friendly visitor wandering by :D

Looking forward to more pictures!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Ecclissi
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: So, we inherited a very young Dutch Shepard (possibly a mix) rather unexpectedly. He is probably not even a year old yet. Our Boston is 13 and thinks his klutzy self will bowl her right over. She has some eyesight problems and gets scared when he suddenly runs right up wanting to sniff and play like he had with a play mate who was both younger and bigger.
He is clearly a real sweetheart, but the introduction between them is definitely challenging..
We intend to get him into puppy classes ASAP, but meanwhile we are working on potty training and walking on a leash.
That said, the walk with both dogs this afternoon went pretty well once we could get them to focus on walking instead of focusing on each other.
I'm putting it in the win column.
Meanwhile, suggestions to hold us over until puppy class would be very welcome...
Thanks!

Post by Ecclissi »

I just wanted to add that that picture of your dog running is an *amazing* photo!! Seriously!! ❤️
Also, if your dog is part Plott Hound, consider yourself lucky. They are amazing dogs!!!
:)
"Russell! Drop that! Where are your toys?"
(It seems to be my new most commonly used daily phrase lol!)