not sure what to call this behavior

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
ValhallaK9
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: not really much to say. just a guy in his 30's married with no kids but have 3 dogs one of which is an 11 week old dutchie

not sure what to call this behavior

Post by ValhallaK9 »

so we just got a 11 week old dutchie. have had him for a week now. when we leave the house we kennel all our dogs and do not let them be unsupervised. however when we let Loki ( our dutch) out of the kennel he goes ballistic he jumps up and bites the hell out of our legs. but this is the only time he displays this behavior. once we finally get him outside and play with him a little bit he settles down and wont do it again the rest of the day. its like hes trying to punish us for putting him in his kennel. when hes doing this we try giving him tugs or toys instead for him to chew on or play with and he just totally ignores them and only focuses on biting us. we try to grab him before he latches on and tell him down and put all 4 paws back on the ground but he just jumps straight back up. not sure what to do or how to fix this because its like hes lost his mind and wont listen to anything while hes in this state. it lasts usually about 2 minutes till he will finally start playing and using the leather rag to bite instead of us
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: not sure what to call this behavior

Post by centrop67 »

Is kennel time only when you're away?

He needs to have more structure around kennel time.

Make in and out a routine of training. It doesn't have to be complex. Simple place training EVERY time he goes to kennel is one way to solve this.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Please keep in mind, he's a baby. He cannot control his impulses like an adult dog. Also, he's excited to see you when you return. Adding in structure is good as Michael suggested but don't push for adult behaviors out of a 12 week old baby.
Patty and Ice
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Yep. All of that. You have to figure out how to break the cycle before it's ingrained. Like Michael said, make going into the crate, going into the crate and closing the door, opening the door and staying in the crate- make that all part of a daily training regimen and I'll bet your see some results quickly. But also, don't expect too much, and don't expect a behavior learned and displayed once or twice to be displayed every time. It's a puppy. Stick with it though, and it's all worth it!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor