Kibble Recommendations

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
natetut
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: 1st time Dutch shepherd owner, obsessed with the breed for 10+ years

Kibble Recommendations

Post by natetut »

Any recommendations on high quality kibble brands? My dutchie has a very sensitive stomach and gets diarreah every couple weeks. I have tried different Victor kibble, raw diets, and now am experimenting with Orijen and Team Dog (Mike Ritland's brand).

-Nate
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Kibble Recommendations

Post by centrop67 »

There may be an allergy issue. It might be best to have an allergy test done by the vet. Then you can chose a food brand that doesn't upset your dog's tummy.

If it's intermittent like that, it could be that the dog is getting into something it shouldn't at times.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TheVII
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Grew up with dogs, but none as a particular as the dutch shepherds. We decided to get a Dutch shepherd pup, but before we commit more feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Kibble Recommendations

Post by TheVII »

Hi Mate,

A bit late to the party. But if it helps out I'll give my 2 cents.

If your dog has a sensitive stomach and having issues with kibble you would problem face constant soft stool. It's unlikely that on same food the dig wouldn't be on and off. I wouldn't agree with what was said above, the dog probably gets into something it shouldn't.

Also make sure you are changing a diet gradually. Victor's is high protein diet. Moxie's breeder was suggesting it, but Moxie painted the walls walls with her diarrhea, and was turning her into a tiny skeleton. Breeder suggested mixing it with unleashed supplement by outlaw fedd, but it didn't 100% help.

We did go through few kibble options. There was a Costco one, green bag with husky on it, that never caused any stomach issues. Costco one she was kind of getting fat on it. Breeder recommended Farmina Wild boar and apple formula. It worked fine.

What did work wonders is pumpkin puree. We mash kibble, pumpkin and outlaw feed together. And Moxie is solid. We started out with morning and evening supplements. Now its just evening.

And Farmina makes wild boar apple and pumpkin formula now...although we still add pumpkin puree. Also make sure the pumpkin puree doesn't have sugar added to it or anything else that would "improve" it fjr human consumption.