Meet Pheonix

For our new members to introduce themselves
amattel
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have adopted Pheonix, an 11 month old BS/GSD/BM mix male.

Meet Pheonix

Post by amattel »

I just finished the 4 hour drive back home to Maryland with my new (to me) DS/MAL/GSD mix.

He is currently 13 months old.

He has been charging around the house exploring in between inserting himself between me and anything I happen to be doing because of course everything is for him. LOL

He drank when we got here, but it was a good half hour before he ate the food I set out for him.

The prior owner said he had " a different kind of whine" when he needed to go out. I am listening very carefully for a whine that is not the play with me whine that I already know.

I am blown away by how closely he seems to be attached to me in no time flat.

I stopped at a rest stop for him and discovered that he pulls like a freight train.

Just doing some research now about how I will train him past that.

I want to start with engagement training tomorrow.

-Adam

Here are a few pics.
ImageImageImage
Adam from Maryland
Pheonix born 11/17/22 gs/mal/gsd mix
dewar01
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Disabled, retired Law Enforcement.
I own 7 wooded acres in rural northern Florida.
In November I adopted a 4 month old female Dutch Shepherd (Blaze) . She gets plenty of daily exercise running around with my 3 year old American Staffordshire Terrier (Jax), who I adopted when he was 10 months old. The 2 of them are inseparable they follow me around and one of them lasts at each side. For some reason they love to play under my bed. Every chew toy they get immediately disappears under my bed. The bed is king size and I'm disabled, so it's pretty much gone. Lol 😆 🤣 😂
But I hear them enjoying chomping on them.

Re: Meet Pheonix

Post by dewar01 »

It's nice to meet Phoenix
He's a beautiful boy!
amattel
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have adopted Pheonix, an 11 month old BS/GSD/BM mix male.

Post by amattel »

My boy seems to be long, narrow and tall... I wonder if that is the GSD influence in his heritage?

Looking at the pictures on this site, pure bred DS seem to be a bit more compact in form.

I love how he is so loving at home, but so intense out in public, with ears high and eyeing everything around him.

I am going to attempt to use the engage/disengage training game to temper his intensity in public.

Thank you for the kind words :)

P.S. Phoenix is a master yoga practitioner (see photo)

Adam from Maryland
Joker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are city folks turned country homesteaders on an 80ac
plot of land. Currently we raise chickens and pigs with plans to add goats and maybe a cattle one day. I am w/o a dog right now and doing research before getting my next 'hired hand' :)

Post by Joker »

Awesome looking pup!

I just got a new pup (pics and intro coming soon) and a quick look on the engage/disengage training game you mentioned sounds interesting. Have you used that before? I found a site selling something (I am sure there are many sources now that I know a name) and the description sounds like something I'd like to get my pup focused on.
Erick
Mika the Velcro dog at my feet
https://www.youtube.com/@tlchomestead
amattel
Just Whelped

Post by amattel »

I am new to everything dog.

I am actually reading an interesting book called "control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt

The engage/disengage game seems like a dumbed down version of her Look At That (LAT) game. I really like how her training games are about starting a conversation with the dog rather than just issuing commands.

I have ordered her book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U ... UTF8&psc=1

I am hoping to give Phoenix the gift of being able to chill as he is very high strung much of the time.
Adam from Maryland