Beautiful BC

Have a photo you want to share?
Post Reply
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Beautiful BC

Post by Sugars Mom »

We went camping this past BC long weekend, and thought I’d share with you some of beautiful BC’s beach scenery with dogs (and people) in it.

It was a bit of an adventure; a last minute decision to go camping and on a long weekend, that’s a bit of a gamble. Campsites fill up and without reservations, ya gotta get there early! A friend of my husband’s is converting an old school bus into a luxurious mode of transportation equipped to carry motorcycles, with a roof top patio, and furnished inside with a leather couch and soon to be installed flat screen TV. Here’s the bus.

Image

This is Junior, and he likes to stand looking out the window as we travel.

Image

Here is Sugar with my younger step-son on the couch as we are traveling...a bit of a bouncy ride and Sugar has her legs spread to keep her balance.

Image

And nappy time for the dogs.

Image

Once at our destination, we set up the roof top patio.

Image
Image

Here’s the view from the roof.

Image

And Sugar and our view from our campsite.

Image

This is the beach that we got to play at. I love the tracks made from the dogs! I had my camera on video instead of photo. Oops, hate when that happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... =picasacid
Image

Here’s some beach pics:

Image
Image
Image
Image

Can you spot the DS in this pic?

Image
Image
Image
Image


This one is Sugar with the wind is blowing her ears back, and she looks like a proper DS now!

Image

On our way back, we stopped at another lake with warmer water, and attempted to get Sugar to swim. Junior enjoyed swimming, but Sugar thought jumping on the air mattress was a much better idea! I made her get off, saying she needed to learn how to swim before heading out on the lake. We tried coaxing her in (we were in the water this time) and after a while, she would still only go in up to her chest. So plan B. We held her in water just over her head and after the moment of panic, she calmed down, we let her go and she swam beautifully to shore! But, even after doing that a couple of times, she still didn’t have the nerve to go out on her own, and we had to head back home. So we ran out of time to keep trying with her that time, but at least she had some success at swimming. I wish I had more pics or video of this, but I figured lakes and iphones don’t mix!

Image
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Beautiful BC

Post by leih merigian »

Beautiful country and looks like a fun trip...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Beautiful BC

Post by GSDNanny »

Looks like fun for everyone, dogs included. Gorgeous scenery. And hey the camper is super cool!!!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Beautiful BC

Post by Dutchringgirl »

That is a rockin camper !!! I love sugars faces, she is so cute !!! Looks like all of you had a great time !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
gman
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm
Tell us about yourself: Almost 50, and my fiancee' and I adopted a dog from Forever Home Sanctuary in Knotts Island NC. We think he is at least part DS, and have had him for only a few days. He will chase a ball until he drops, and we are thinking about Dock Dogs to keep him busy!

Re: Beautiful BC

Post by gman »

Wow, love that black sand beach, so pretty in that part of the world.

Here in Virginia Beach, it's flat and boring
Mike, owner of a possible DS/mix named Gabriel
Post Reply