New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
nd9
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 am
Tell us about yourself: I live in Los Angeles, CA and just adopted what I think is at least
a part Dutch Shepherd dog. I'm hoping to learn more about the
breed and see if my boy is in fact of this breed.
Location: Los Angeles, CA

New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by nd9 »

Hi Everyone,
My name is Nick and I live in Los Angeles, CA. My girlfriend and I just rescued a dog from the city shelter and we think he's at least part Dutch Shepherd. After finding this website I figured I'd post a couple pics of him to see what you all think and also to learn more about the breed. He's a great dog regardless of breed but we're definitely curious and it seems not too many people know much about Dutch Shepherds.
Thanks!!

His name is Ziggy:

Image

Image
-Nick +Alicia
Happy owners of "Ziggy"

Image
nd9
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 am
Tell us about yourself: I live in Los Angeles, CA and just adopted what I think is at least
a part Dutch Shepherd dog. I'm hoping to learn more about the
breed and see if my boy is in fact of this breed.
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by nd9 »

let's try those pics one more time...

Image

Image

Image
-Nick +Alicia
Happy owners of "Ziggy"

Image
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by alspyce »

Looks like a Dutchie to me--very handsome boy. Welcome.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by Dutchringgirl »

what a great looking fella !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by GSDNanny »

That would be a Dutch Shepherd for sure. Handsome dog. So welcome Ziggy from myself and my DS, Zip. (like thos Z names) :D Wonder what Ziggy's story is. Doesnt really matter, he has a great home now, making his own new story with a happy ending. Thank you for rescuing him.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome! Handsome young man!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
nd9
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 am
Tell us about yourself: I live in Los Angeles, CA and just adopted what I think is at least
a part Dutch Shepherd dog. I'm hoping to learn more about the
breed and see if my boy is in fact of this breed.
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by nd9 »

That's great news :) He certainly seems to display many of the personality traits I've read about...
He also likes to sing along when we practice (trombone and french horn) and seems able to match pitch!
Don't know too much about his story beyond finding him in the LA animal services shelter system. He had been in 3 different shelters over almost two months when we came across him, which was really surprising cause he's so sweet, gentle and well-behaved. Regardless, he's adjusting well to his new life outside of being a picky eater.
Anyway, we're looking forward to training him more and having him in our lives :)
-Nick +Alicia
Happy owners of "Ziggy"

Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome to the site and congrats on your find!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by vneerland »

Welcome! 8-)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Bobswife
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:32 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Martha and I live near Atlantic City, NJ, USA. I adopted Shelby, our dutch shepherd, last July and have been looking for someplace on the web to talk about our wonderful pup. At first, what a challenge, she definitely needs consistency and leadership!
Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Re: New Dutch Shepherd (maybe?) owner

Post by Bobswife »

Wow, beautiful Dutch Shepherd!
Shelby
Image Martha
Post Reply