Hi Y'all from Alabama
-
Tmacfire
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Todd McCarver and I live in central Alabama. We just bought our first Dutch for protection and she is 4mos old. We have high expectations for "Hope".
Hi Y'all from Alabama
My name is Todd and I just bought my first DS. Hope, my daughter liked the name, is 4 months old. She has adapted quite well and we are working on crate training. She came from a breeder who lost his home due to the recent tornadoes here and she hasn't been fooled with much. He lost his home but his kennel was still intact and she was born 4 days after the home was destroyed. I didnt know much about the breed but was intrigued after talking to several trainers. I brought her home and put her in her first crate and she hasn't made a peep except when she needs to go out. She has started to bond with my wife and daughter and really catches on quick to the leash. She will eventually be protection trained. We are trying to bond with her and housebreak. What age should we really start obedience and then protection training? I am intrigued by schutzhund but don't want to do anything now that might confuse her later. Thanks for your help and look for more questions from the Bama boy.
Todd McCarver
Cahaba River Kennels
Central Alabama
Cahaba River Kennels
Central Alabama
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
welcome!
From which kennel does your DS come? (curious...)
Schutzhund is fun, and you can start at young age, just find a good trainer that can help you learn all about it
From which kennel does your DS come? (curious...)
Schutzhund is fun, and you can start at young age, just find a good trainer that can help you learn all about it
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Todd,
welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pup!
welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pup!
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
-
Tmacfire
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Todd McCarver and I live in central Alabama. We just bought our first Dutch for protection and she is 4mos old. We have high expectations for "Hope".
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Marjolein, the breeder is a police officer and has had a working shepherd for a while, I don't know anything about the line yet but she is ckc registered. I have mountain cur dogs that I use for hunting and was looking for something to watch the family while I am at work. She is a quick learner but I am familiar with hunting dogs not protection types, just hope I don't screw her up.
Todd McCarver
Cahaba River Kennels
Central Alabama
Cahaba River Kennels
Central Alabama
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Welcome, Todd and Hope!
Sounds like a very nice pup...don't forget we love pictures around here
)
There is so much you can do, training-wise, at this age, as long as you just make it all a fun game. Sounds like Hope has a nice life ahead of her!
Sounds like a very nice pup...don't forget we love pictures around here
There is so much you can do, training-wise, at this age, as long as you just make it all a fun game. Sounds like Hope has a nice life ahead of her!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Welcome
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Hey there,
Welcome to the forum. She is a beautiful girl!! I'm not sure where in AL you are, but we are up in TN. I know its a haul, but a new club member of ours drives weekly from AL to TN to train on Sundays. I'm sure he would love the company and we would love to have you out, see your girl, give you some pointers and let you see a ton of stripes.
Good luck!
Welcome to the forum. She is a beautiful girl!! I'm not sure where in AL you are, but we are up in TN. I know its a haul, but a new club member of ours drives weekly from AL to TN to train on Sundays. I'm sure he would love the company and we would love to have you out, see your girl, give you some pointers and let you see a ton of stripes.
Good luck!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown


Facebook page.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 