Cincinnati

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Cincinnati

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Hello. I thought I was a member here, but maybe not. So, I registered.

I spent a lot of time thinking about a Dutch Shepherd before I got mine. I watched the rescues at NADSR and corresponded with people in Europe. However, I had two dogs already, a Malinois and a Laekenois, and I wanted to make sure I got a dog that would fit in with my current pack.

When it was time for a new puppy, I was torn between another Laekenois, or a Dutchie. I chose Laekenois. But when the litter was born, there weren't enough puppies to go around. After trying 3 other breeders for a last minute Laeken puppy, without success, I started looking at the Dutchie breedings.

Four months later I was on a waiting list with a breeder in Europe. But the mating didn't happen. I was really getting depressed about the whole thing as I started looking through the NHC geboren and dekking page for short-hairs, once again. :(

While I was researching the breedings I saw a male that I just fell in love with. Sometimes love at first sight really happens. I emailed his owner and I was told there there was one male available from a current litter (of 11 puppies!). And, he was going to be 8 weeks old in 5 days! Contacted the breeder of the puppy and two days later (Monday) I bought a plane ticket for Amsterdam. Friday I was on that plane. Saturday I landed in Amsterdam and at the breeder's home. Sunday I was on another plane for Chicago with a puppy sleeping at my feet.

That's the story of how Small Yard's Boaz came to live with me and my pack. I can't believe that was in March 2010, and he's almost 2 years old.

I really love the breed now, and I'm happy that it worked out this way. He's very squirrely, but very smart. We are working in obedience and agility, and he has a gorgeous natural heel. He has been to one Rally Obedience show this year, just to get him out there and doing something. He is the most athletic dog I've ever seen in my life! He is going to blow the competition away in agility if his handler can get in shape. :D

I don't do the protection sport, though, there just isn't time to travel and train. Same reason I abandoned my Malinois' herding training.

Carole and Boaz, Balto and Ciana, in Ohio.
http://clgoetz.8m.com/dogs
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Cincinnati

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Great website :wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Cincinnati

Post by icvanstra »

Welcome to the forum!

Take a look at the FAQ section to learn how to create a signature, an avatar, and upload photos ... because everyone LOVES photo's!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Cincinnati

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Okay, time to test posting photos.
First Troy, the father.
Image
and Boaz last Christmas.
Image
I'm still waiting for Boaz to "fill out".
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Cincinnati

Post by Lauren »

They are beautiful! What a nice smile!
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Cincinnati

Post by alspyce »

Beautiful & Welcome. Maybe a dash of long coat in there, or maybe coated GSD with GSD type head?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Cincinnati

Post by Christie M »

Hey Carole!
Great to see you here!
I love the pics of Boaz's sire!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Cincinnati

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Hi Christie. Yeah, I saw Troy and started looking for his babies. ;) I finally met him, and his owners, this year at the big DS conformation show in The Netherlands. And he is a sweetheart, too. Loves watching Rugby on the "tellie", too.

Boaz is also a sweetie. Loves kids and anybody who might have food. Took Boaz to the ATTS temperament test a couple of weeks ago, and he checked every single person during the test for food. (Except for the last part with the threatening stranger.) I guess I need to feed him more.

I asked the conformation breeders in The Netherlands about the fluff around his neck, and they all say that's perfectly acceptable in the breed. It does look fluffy, and I love the way it feels. LOL!
mafiamom
Puppy
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: grew up with german shepherds and so did my hubby. Also had a bichon. Got married and got a bichon and a bernese mountain dog, sadly roxie passed away this august. =( Tulla needs a fur sister and my boys need big dog. Have fallen in love with the dutch shepherd!! Hope to own one soon!!!

Re: Cincinnati

Post by mafiamom »

hi!! Absolutely GORGEOUS dogs!!!!
kim
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Cincinnati

Post by Marjolein »

Hi Welcome! :dssmile:

I know troy, last saw him 2 weeks ago :)
Nice looking dog that Boaz of yours!!
Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Cincinnati

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome and beautiful dog! Love the coat!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Post Reply