My current project is a 5 month old HH, Cid van HunterHaus. ( http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dogs/du ... 50655.html ) I found Cid online at this link, and since he lived near by, I decided to go check him out. I tested him on his previous owners property, and liked him real well, but when I got him home discovered that he was not properly socialized. (see forum discussion ) At any rate, I am glad to have you folks as a resource, and hope to successfully work through my dog's problems with your advice. I will post some up-to-date photos in the coming days. All your comments are welcome and appreciated.
Hello from Pennsylvania!
-
djbalo
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:15 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hi! My name is Dean. I began in dog sports in the late 1970's. Training my first dog, an American bred Doberman to SchH3/IPO3. I have trained and titled several German Shepherd Dogs, and raised and trained a Malinois for dual purpose (patrol/narcotics) police service. My current dog, Cid, is a 5 month male Dutch Shepherd. I have only owned this dog for a week now. When I initially evaluated him for sport, he tested fairly strong, demonstrating good prey drive and a seemingly a social attitude. When I got him home, however, he proved to be under-socialized, and suspicious/nervous around strangers, demonstrating some fear based aggression and avoidance. While I see some improvement this week, I'm not sure if he will be able to overcome his lack of socialization. I am anxious to hear from the members here as to their experiences trying to socialize their dogs late in the game.
Hello from Pennsylvania!
My name is Dean. I believe that I am the newest member of this forum. I have been involved in hundesport since the late 1970's, I believe actually since 1979. My first working dog was a Dobermann. We fell into Schutzhund quite by accident while attending a class in tracking. I was floored by my dog's instinctive response to the helper, and within a year we had obtained the SchH3 and IPO3 titles. From the first day I was addicted! Since then I have competed with many German Shepherd Dogs, obtaining multiple SchH3/IPO3 titles with several different dogs. My last competition dog had failed his SchH2 protection test in Germany when he slid into a hold and bark, as the helper stopped running toward him, in preparation for impact. I had to completely revamp his training when I acquired him, and after a year we started over at SchH1, and ended up 9 x SchH3, Kkl2. auf lbz. My next dog was a young ' X ' bred malinois with an attitude. This dog was typical of the working ' X ' dogs, anti-social, handler hard, and over the top drives. I trained him completely for dual-purpose (patrol/narcotics,) and sold him at about 2 1/2 years of age. I really liked the dog's attitude, and have looked to the Hollandse Herder to be a similar type of dog.
My current project is a 5 month old HH, Cid van HunterHaus. ( http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dogs/du ... 50655.html ) I found Cid online at this link, and since he lived near by, I decided to go check him out. I tested him on his previous owners property, and liked him real well, but when I got him home discovered that he was not properly socialized. (see forum discussion ) At any rate, I am glad to have you folks as a resource, and hope to successfully work through my dog's problems with your advice. I will post some up-to-date photos in the coming days. All your comments are welcome and appreciated.

My current project is a 5 month old HH, Cid van HunterHaus. ( http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dogs/du ... 50655.html ) I found Cid online at this link, and since he lived near by, I decided to go check him out. I tested him on his previous owners property, and liked him real well, but when I got him home discovered that he was not properly socialized. (see forum discussion ) At any rate, I am glad to have you folks as a resource, and hope to successfully work through my dog's problems with your advice. I will post some up-to-date photos in the coming days. All your comments are welcome and appreciated.
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
Welcome to the forum, Dean!
I wish you the best with your newest prospect
.
I wish you the best with your newest prospect
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
I just looked at Cids pedigree and am ashamed to admit that not one of the dogs immediate family, top nor bottom, sound familiar to me.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
Dean, welcome to the group!
eric
eric
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- k9katet
- Training Dog
- Posts: 443
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility. - Location: Minnesota
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
Welcome Dean!
I know Sylkiie. She is a local dog over in WI. She reminds me alot of my Vada. She LOVES her handler, Chris. Deb K got a puppy out of the Sylkiie/Argos litter I think. I think Argos's lines went back to her first DS if I'm remembering correct. She might know his parents.
I'm taking my 11 week old pup the the drive in movies with us tonight. A to socialize the crap out of her as she's not too fond of people. I will be dishing out tons of cookies to anyone willing to feed her. Hopefully there will be an assortment of people there. And B to hopefully have a quiet puppy when we get home as we will be tired and I don't want to come home to a puppy who has been sleeping for hours already.
I know Sylkiie. She is a local dog over in WI. She reminds me alot of my Vada. She LOVES her handler, Chris. Deb K got a puppy out of the Sylkiie/Argos litter I think. I think Argos's lines went back to her first DS if I'm remembering correct. She might know his parents.
I'm taking my 11 week old pup the the drive in movies with us tonight. A to socialize the crap out of her as she's not too fond of people. I will be dishing out tons of cookies to anyone willing to feed her. Hopefully there will be an assortment of people there. And B to hopefully have a quiet puppy when we get home as we will be tired and I don't want to come home to a puppy who has been sleeping for hours already.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
http://www.k9katet.com
- k9katet
- Training Dog
- Posts: 443
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility. - Location: Minnesota
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
Am I reading this right that the male was just over a year old when he was bred? Did they at least do hip prelims or PennHip?
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
http://www.k9katet.com
-
djbalo
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:15 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hi! My name is Dean. I began in dog sports in the late 1970's. Training my first dog, an American bred Doberman to SchH3/IPO3. I have trained and titled several German Shepherd Dogs, and raised and trained a Malinois for dual purpose (patrol/narcotics) police service. My current dog, Cid, is a 5 month male Dutch Shepherd. I have only owned this dog for a week now. When I initially evaluated him for sport, he tested fairly strong, demonstrating good prey drive and a seemingly a social attitude. When I got him home, however, he proved to be under-socialized, and suspicious/nervous around strangers, demonstrating some fear based aggression and avoidance. While I see some improvement this week, I'm not sure if he will be able to overcome his lack of socialization. I am anxious to hear from the members here as to their experiences trying to socialize their dogs late in the game.
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
Cid and I have only been together since last Friday evening. He was born March 10th of this year, and is now five months old. Cid didn't come to me from the breeder, but from the his first owner. Unfortunately, the guy doesn't own a car, lives out in the country, and was unable to socialize Cid properly. I truthfully hadn't noticed that Cid's sire was only born last year. God only knows if he was hip x-rayed, never mind that there are so many unknown ancestors in the pedigree. There are so many things I really like about Cid, especially that he is very handler oriented. He has shown me some other traits that I like as well, specifically that he has no problems with young children. He offers "kisses" to a little girl down the street that comes out to the curb to pet him as we walk by, and shocked me this morning by letting one of my female dog friends to walk right up to him and pet him. Seemingly he is more comfortable with women than men. I hate to show my ignorance of the breed, but the malinois I raised previously was double coated, while Cid lacks an undercoat, and has some issues with flaky skin on his back. Are the short haired HH supposed to have an under coat??
-
FoxTal Dogs
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:36 am
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
Yes, Heather is correct. I did have a female puppy out of Sylkie but returned her after I saw early clinical signs of dysplasia and PennHip showed she had off-the-scale bad hips. Not sure where she ended up. It was a crap shoot to begin with since no Xrays were available from either or dam at the time, but I had hoped for the best. Just turns out it was a bad decision but the breeder did take her back and re-home her, as promised.
Deb Krsnich
Deb Krsnich
Debra Krsnich
www.foxtal.com
"Train Hard or Go Home"
www.foxtal.com
"Train Hard or Go Home"
-
FoxTal Dogs
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:36 am
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
Sorry, should have looked at the pedigree first.... the female I returned would be a littermate to the sire of your dog.
Deb Krsnich
Deb Krsnich
Debra Krsnich
www.foxtal.com
"Train Hard or Go Home"
www.foxtal.com
"Train Hard or Go Home"
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
Yes, they are supposed to have an undercoat. He probably does have one, but I suspect it is minimal?djbalo wrote: I hate to show my ignorance of the breed, but the malinois I raised previously was double coated, while Cid lacks an undercoat, and has some issues with flaky skin on his back. Are the short haired HH supposed to have an under coat??
Malinois too have a wide range of lots of undercoat, vs a thin one, often depending on the bloodlines. French Malinois tend to be 'hairy' IMHO, while Dutch malinois often sport a lot less undercoat. The flaky skin is probably nutritional or environmental. (being that you just picked him up) With some good care, that will probably vanish.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- k9katet
- Training Dog
- Posts: 443
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility. - Location: Minnesota
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!
It sounds like you have not had him long at all. I'd give him time to settle in and bond with you too. That's great that he's so good with children! And if he isn't as crazy about men then you can just socialize him alot to men - that just shows you where to focus a bit more. I think it takes them 2 or 3 weeks to really settle in and learn that is their new home. He is just trying to find his place in his new life.
Do you have any newer pics that you can post?
Do you have any newer pics that you can post?
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
http://www.k9katet.com


Facebook page.