Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
zoebot
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:47 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a student and a nanny with an affinity for animals. My husband and I have two dogs. Midna is our older dog who we believe to be a border collie schnauzer mix. Our newest addition, Zoe, was said to be a cairn terrier shepherd mix at the pound. I did some more research and I really feel that she has a strong line of dutch shepherd. I came here to see what others think.

Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

Post by zoebot »

Greetings! My husband and I adopted our dog Zoe about a month ago. She was listed as a cairn terrier/shepherd mix. She is about 30 lbs with stout legs. She has white paws and a white spot on her chest. Her tail and "mane" grow just like shepherd hair, and the rest of her fur is short and slick. She is all brindle with a darker black face and pointy ears. She has an intelligent stare and while being a bit pushy, she is very calm, mellow, sweet and obedient. We bring here everywhere when we can and she is not outgoing or overly friendly, but again is very very calm and sweet with all adults, children, other dogs and cats. She has a high prey instinct and is hell bent on catching birds, groundhogs, chipmunks, etc. If it runs, she will run after it. So I do believe she has terrier in her, but I have never ever seen a terrier mix this calm. COUCH POTATO!! I'd love your input :) Does she look like a Dutch Shepherd? Are they mellow?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/midnamoond ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midnamoond ... hotostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midnamoond ... hotostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midnamoond ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midnamoond ... otostream/

Thanks! :dsroll:
zoebot
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:47 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a student and a nanny with an affinity for animals. My husband and I have two dogs. Midna is our older dog who we believe to be a border collie schnauzer mix. Our newest addition, Zoe, was said to be a cairn terrier shepherd mix at the pound. I did some more research and I really feel that she has a strong line of dutch shepherd. I came here to see what others think.

Re: Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

Post by zoebot »

Also, don't mind old name tag. We had "Luna" for a couple of days, but her previous name (she was a surrender) was Daisy. So, Luna was confusing our other dog Midna (hearing the "na"), and she responds better to a name with a long e, so it's now Zoe. :P
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

Post by alspyce »

Cardigan Corgi/Terrier mix maybe? Very cute!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

Post by icvanstra »

I'm going to go with a mix, but not DS mix.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
zoebot
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:47 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a student and a nanny with an affinity for animals. My husband and I have two dogs. Midna is our older dog who we believe to be a border collie schnauzer mix. Our newest addition, Zoe, was said to be a cairn terrier shepherd mix at the pound. I did some more research and I really feel that she has a strong line of dutch shepherd. I came here to see what others think.

Re: Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

Post by zoebot »

I appreciate the input!
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :)

Check out this dog:

Image

Yours reminded me of him, this one is a Jack Russel x English Bulldog mix ;)
Image
zoebot
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:47 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a student and a nanny with an affinity for animals. My husband and I have two dogs. Midna is our older dog who we believe to be a border collie schnauzer mix. Our newest addition, Zoe, was said to be a cairn terrier shepherd mix at the pound. I did some more research and I really feel that she has a strong line of dutch shepherd. I came here to see what others think.

Re: Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

Post by zoebot »

Wow very cool! Thanks for doing some searching for me! :) I am thinking she probably has some Jack Russell in her as well. Thanks again!

:dschick:
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Is Zoe a Dutch Shepherd mix?

Post by GSDNanny »

I'd venture to say Jack Russell x Bulldog (brindle) too or Jack X Cardigan (brindle). Fun-looking little dog though! We have a Jack X Schnauzer who looks exactly like this dog yet but with the Schnauzer grey color where your's is brindle. Our's is now about 13 yrs old but he has certainly been entertaining over the years!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Post Reply