Hello!!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Elise Miller
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently looking for a male Dutch Shepherd, preferably a rescue. I recently moved to Utah from Florida with my fiance who is in Dental School.

Hello!!

Post by Elise Miller »

Hello!!!
My name is Elise and my fiance and I have been looking to rescue a Dutch Shepherd! We are finally settled from our move from Orlando FL to South Jordan UT and cannot wait to get a DS. I have been looking for months for a young or puppy male to adopt but none are available(that I can find). I am hoping that I can get some insight on the breed and hopefully find our match soon. :D
Elise Miller
User avatar
Flying Dutchman
Puppy
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have five dogs: Alex, a chow mix who is now about 14, and four Dutch shepherds (all rescued DS): Ku (Hawaiian God of War), Kane (sounds like "Kahnay"; Hawaiian God of the Sun), Kanaloa (Hawaiian God of the Sea) and Kapua (Hawaiian gods of mischief - the Mischief Makers). Alex is our cheerleader and keeps the 4 DS in line. Three of the DS currently compete in DockDogs and we are trying to convince Lo that water is not evil. Our team name is Hawaiian by Heart which comes from the old joke by my husband that he is "Dutch by blood, Hawaiian by Heart." Our main goal is to promote having fun with your dog (and by doing so becoming partners) and supporting the rescue of the wonderful animals out there in need of homes.

We lost our big lady, Kelley, in May 2012 to cancer and she joins several other angel dogs who are now watching over us.
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Hello!!

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Hello and welcome! What kind of insight are you looking for? I usually tell people that these dogs are not for most people so be sure you are ready. Yes, they are absolutely amazing and fantastic but people need to be able to deal with their drive, energy and uncanny intelligence and have the time to train and exercise them.

Have you checked out NADSR? They have some basic info on the breed and coordinate rescue as well. You may need to be patient as far as finding the right dog for you. http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org/

Good Luck!
Heather
Denver, Colorado
The Dutch Army: Ku, Kane ("Kahnay"), Kanaloa and Kapua
Their General: Alex
Angels: Kelley, Gryphon, & Casey
http://www.rockymountaindockdogs.com

Be Your Dog's Hero. Support http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org


http://dutchshepherdrescue.org/
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hello!!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome to the forum!
And thanks for rescueing. You came to the right place. I am sure board members will be able to help with the right rescue dog. :wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hello there !

I have to agree with Elise, this breed is not for everyone. I have a rescue from NADSR too, as well as a dog from France.

Ask away!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello!!

Post by Marjolein »

welcome :dssmile:
Image
Elise Miller
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently looking for a male Dutch Shepherd, preferably a rescue. I recently moved to Utah from Florida with my fiance who is in Dental School.

Re: Hello!!

Post by Elise Miller »

Thanks guys!
I have definitely done my research on the Dutch Shepherd. Their intelligence and agility is something that definitely drew me to them. My fiance grew up with German Shepherds and I have raised a couple of Australian Shepherds so we are definitely not beginners when it comes to owning and training dogs. I loved the intelligence of the Australian Shepherds and their high energy. I love having a trail running partner!

Here is a picture of one of my Australian Shepherds Molly, she was looking like Jar Jar Binks in her old age! :D

And this was in Florida so I had her groomed which is why her hair is so short.
Attachments
molly.jpg
molly.jpg (16.92 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Elise Miller
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello!!

Post by Sugars Mom »

HA, ha, what a cute face!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hello!!

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Welcome!

Utah is a beautiful place. I spent some time in the southern part during my USA grand tour and liked it a lot.
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hello!!

Post by kchristy »

welcome!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hello!!

Post by Jan »

Welcome.
Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello!!

Post by Christie M »

Welcome to the board! Keep and eye on NADSR and "Like" their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue. The dog's coming in an out change often. I know that they were working on pulling a young (6-9 months) from a Chicago shelter yesterday.

Also, it will help you a lot to get yourself PreApproved (http://dutchshepherdrescue.org/adoption.html). Once you are on the waiting list, you will often be notified about dogs before they ever get posted. Young dogs and puppies are often adopted before they ever reach the websites.

Good luck in your search!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
whk9k9
Puppy
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trudy Donais, trainer and owner of 3 Dutch shepherds.
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: Hello!!

Post by whk9k9 »

Hello and Welcome.
As Christie mentioned I would recommend you go on line to our website and fill out a pre adopt application if you like to get on our waiting list for a rescues DS from NADSR. Young dogs are in high demand and usually get adopted very quickly.
Thank you for looking at rescue!
Trudy Donais
Dutch's "Nantan" Police Cert, PSA2 played in the 3's and Monido, "Xera" PP, "KAOS" in training
http://www.weisshauzahn.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
Elise Miller
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently looking for a male Dutch Shepherd, preferably a rescue. I recently moved to Utah from Florida with my fiance who is in Dental School.

Re: Hello!!

Post by Elise Miller »

Hi again! Just wanted to give an update. I found a three month old german shepherd/border collie mix that I could not say no to. He is an amazing dog and is so smart! I am definitely still interested in adopting a Dutch Shepherd, but not until Koda is a little older. This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago and he has already grown so much! One of his ears is up like a shepherd and the other one is still a little floppy. His mom was a pretty small GSD(60 lbs) so we will see how big he gets!
Attachments
2011-10-29 17.23.42.jpg
2011-10-29 17.23.42.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
Elise Miller
Hillside
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:07 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Corrie and I currently have a 4 year old Doberman girl named Saga.

Re: Hello!!

Post by Hillside »

Wow, that is a ridiculously cute puppy! I can't wait to see what he looks like when he grows up.
Corrie

Saga (The Doberman)
Elise Miller
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently looking for a male Dutch Shepherd, preferably a rescue. I recently moved to Utah from Florida with my fiance who is in Dental School.

Re: Hello!!

Post by Elise Miller »

Thank you! Once I get more pictures I will put some up!
Elise Miller
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hello!!

Post by kchristy »

Awww so cute! Look at that ear :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Hello!!

Post by k9katet »

Adorable puppy! You are smart to wait a few years to add another. :)
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Post Reply