True. If "homemade" would mean pizza and french fries, I would say, stay with the kibble!kchristy wrote:I guess it depends on what you are putting in the homemade.
Just a few questions :)
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: Just a few questions :)
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Just a few questions :)
vneerland wrote:Not sure what page that would have been, but it is not true. DS's DO have dewclaws. Not usually on the hind legs, but certainly on the front. They are not typically removed, certainly not in Europe, where, I believe, it is practically illegal to remove anything these days!
Adding to that, I have never met a DS in Europe without the claws on the frontlegs, hindleg-claws were usually removed. It is no longer allowed to remove those...but somehow you still hardly ever see them...
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Just a few questions :)
I have never had a DS born with them. (but I did have a malinois pup that had them) Here, you are allowed to remove whatever you likeMarjolein wrote:Adding to that, I have never met a DS in Europe without the claws on the frontlegs, hindleg-claws were usually removed. It is no longer allowed to remove those...but somehow you still hardly ever see them...
In Europe, if a working dog has them on the hind legs, at what point could they be removed?
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
Re: Just a few questions :)
Its definitely interesting the way some things are the norm in one county and completely unexceptable in another. I had never heard of dogs having the dewclaws removed, until we got my son a dachshund and the breeder asked if we wanted them removed.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Just a few questions :)
yup. And you probabely know what that injury would look like, way worse than a little cut on a 1 day old pup with the nerves not even developed to that part of the body. They don't cry, most don't even bleed. But it is no longer allowed. I had to leave them on for the two that had them in my litter. One died (Ukkie) the other one I adviced to have them removed as they x-ray the hipsvneerland wrote: In Europe, if a working dog has them on the hind legs, at what point could they be removed?Do they really have to hang up on something and tear themselves up first?
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Just a few questions :)
Good Lord. That is CRAZY!!
Europe has a tendency anyway, to stick their nose in things that are none of their business. What about personal responsibilty?
I understand that you should not hurt an animal intentionally, but for heavens sakes, the removal of a dew claw is absolutely minor 'surgery', especially compared to the damage that can be done. 
Europe has a tendency anyway, to stick their nose in things that are none of their business. What about personal responsibilty?
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Just a few questions :)
Regarding the diet issue...
I feed raw to my own kids, so I am in no way against it. But I would hesitate to just jumping in to feeding a 7 week old growing puppy that way. They need pretty specific nutrition, balances, etc. I know many people who say "I raised all of my dogs that way...." However, I have seen enough dogs be down in their hocks or develop other abnormalities caused by well meaning individuals who didn't have the right diet.
If you are planning to raise a pup on raw, really do your research. Also, check into your local vet school, as they often have nutritional labs that will analyze your diet, make recommendations or even have specific raw diet plans to help a newbee.
I feed raw to my own kids, so I am in no way against it. But I would hesitate to just jumping in to feeding a 7 week old growing puppy that way. They need pretty specific nutrition, balances, etc. I know many people who say "I raised all of my dogs that way...." However, I have seen enough dogs be down in their hocks or develop other abnormalities caused by well meaning individuals who didn't have the right diet.
If you are planning to raise a pup on raw, really do your research. Also, check into your local vet school, as they often have nutritional labs that will analyze your diet, make recommendations or even have specific raw diet plans to help a newbee.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok


Facebook page.