Hi all!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Hi all!

Post by alexis »

My husband and I adopted Zane, a "gs mix," from a local german shepherd rescue a few months ago. We had no idea what the mix was and then someone at the dog park suggested that he might be a dutch shepherd. He looks like one to us - what do you think?

Image

It seems the img tag isn't working for me, the photo's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexisi/6284005191/

He's the easiest, most mellow dog I've ever had (he had a bad case of heart worm when the rescue picked him up, so I think he may be more easily tired out than the average DS) but is very smart and very motivated to hunt! I'm used to standard poodles and their particular brand of craftiness, and he's much more straightforward.

We don't have a job for him other than fetching at the park and walking nicely on his leash. We live in NYC, so many of the typical dog activities (herding, agility) are out. Does anyone who lives in a city with a DS have any suggestions? He gets lots of exercise, so he's good in the apartment, I just want to make sure he has enough to do to keep him happy.
alexis & zane in NYC
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hi all!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

he is beautiful!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: Hi all!

Post by alexis »

Thanks! He's such a love.

I think I figured out the picture issue:
Image

Image
alexis & zane in NYC
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hi all!

Post by CaroleBoaz »

He really is beautiful!

You would be surprised at how mental work can satisfy a dog. Work on obedience and tricks that you can do in an apartment. I have this book, http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Ac ... 1592533256, and there is a bunch of stuff that you can do indoors. The book teaches you to shape the behaviors using positive methods. It says 101 tricks, but I think a few of them can be categorized as human tricks.
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: Hi all!

Post by alexis »

Thanks for the book recommendation - I saw it at the petco near the register and wondered if it was a helpful book - I'll check it out!

He was very slow at learning sit and down at first but has been picking up new things within a few days now that he's getting settled in, so it would be good to have some new tricks to teach him.
alexis & zane in NYC
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hi all!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome and what a nice looking dog :) Great pic of the pounce!

Congrats on your rescue!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hi all!

Post by Jan »

Welcome.
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hi all!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome! Nice looking dog and great "action" pic :wtg:
alexis wrote: Does anyone who lives in a city with a DS have any suggestions?
I took Marco to Bloomingdale's. He had a blast. But we didn't understand why nobody wanted to ride with us in the elevator :whistle: :g_wink:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hi all!

Post by kchristy »

Beautiful dog! :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hi all!

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :dssmile:
Nice looking dog, I LOVE the ball action pic!!
Image
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: Hi all!

Post by alexis »

Thanks all, I can't take credit for the ball pic, that was done by a pro photographer for the rescue (he gave permission for them to give out the photos). He got some really great shots. The dirty kitchen floor, however, is mine.
alexis & zane in NYC
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hi all!

Post by GSDNanny »

Welcome, Alexis and Zane. Nice looking boy you got there. Keep the pix coming. Oh and remember you are in the company of real dog folks here so no need to apologize for messes. :dssmile:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hi all!

Post by CaroleBoaz »

alexis wrote: He got some really great shots. The dirty kitchen floor, however, is mine.
That is a great shot!

As for dirty floors. My favorite photo of my dogs has them sitting on a hair-laden rug in my living room. :)
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hi all!

Post by kchristy »

Its amazing how our dogs always take the best pics when there is a mess in the background. As for your kitchen floor, looks good to me :) I just love to look at pics of dutch shepherds :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Post Reply