Hello from Shelby's Owner

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
Shelbys Owner
Just Whelped
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:48 am
Tell us about yourself: We are pet owners to 2 dogs both mixes. Besides our DS mix, we have another dog who is around 6 years old and his probably a Dalmatian, Lab, Border Collie mix. We are happy to have just recently learned that we have a Dutch Shepherd and that this group also exists for the breed.
Location: Noblesville, IN

Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by Shelbys Owner »

Shelbyinentryway.jpg
Shelbyinentryway.jpg (282.91 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
Hi Dutch Shepherd Members,
At last, a few free moments to introduce ourselves to all of you. We have had our "potential" Dutch Shepherd for a couple of years now. She is 3 years old and we adopted her through our Vet's Animal Hospital. She was brought in there one cold and rainy night by a technician who found her on the side of a highway. When we saw her at our Vet's office she had been living in their kennels for nearly 2 months. We weren't sure if it was going to work out with our other dog, who is very high energy and challenging mixed breed dog. But, over the month we spent acclimating them, all could see it was going to work out fine. Especially because Shelby is such a sweet and personable dog who gets along fine with everyone and goes with the flow! We hope we have come to the right place to mingle with others who have the same breed. So, we would like to know if you all do think she is in part a Dutch Shepherd. Besides sharing some additional photos of her here in the forum, we'd love to know if there is anyone who lives near Noblesville or Indianapolis area who would like to meet up. Obviously, pictures can only go so far toward breed recognition and we haven't found anyone else in our area who has a Dutch Shepherd.

Thank you,

Shelby, Blake, Alan & Terry
Attachments
Shelbysideprofile.jpg
Shelbysideprofile.jpg (389.1 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
Shelbylayinginfrontyard.jpg
Shelbylayinginfrontyard.jpg (194.64 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by alexis »

I'm no expert (being that I'm not 100% sure that my dog is a dutch shepherd either), but she's a such a pretty girl! I'm glad to hear she's settling in well.
alexis & zane in NYC
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Hi! I love that last photo! What a beautiful dog! I'll let others decide if there's DS in her, I'm not very good at that.
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by icvanstra »

Not an expert opinion...

Looks like a shepherd-mix. Something to me says GSD-Border Collie???
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by Lauren »

she does have brindled feet, and those gorgeous eyes. Maybe a bit of DS in there? What a beauty!
Lauren from Western NC
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by leih merigian »

Hi Shelby,

I don't see much DS in there, but I'm not an expert. What I do see, tho, is a gorgous dog who is very lucky to have found you!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by Sugars Mom »

I see GSD and Border Collie too...but I ma not any sort of expert at all!!

I will say she is beautiful tho : )
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome! Nice dog, I see a mali look in the eyes ;) :D
Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello from Shelby's Owner

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tough one! My very NON expert opinion is GS with some other goodies in there. She is very beautiful and sweet looking. glad she found you
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Post Reply