Page 2 of 2

Re: Thinking about adopting

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 pm
by johninny
ok if i move from long island? !!!!!!!!

Re: Thinking about adopting

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 pm
by hoosierpat
Leih,
I'm going to get a new crate on Friday. I'm a big proponent of crate training and there's no way that I will be letting him roam around the house when we're not home any time soon. I HATE choke collars but that's what the shelter gave him to me on. I prefer pinch but I'd really prefer them to walk off leash beside me. That's probably far off but that's the goal.

Brenda,
Thanks for all the links, I'm sure that I'll be using them.

Stephanie,
I actually grew up in Crete but now live in Beecher, 10 mins further south. I'd love to join you guys for some outings. I've got a few places that I already take my dogs for hiking, my favorite being Lemon Lake County Park in Cedar Lake, IN. They have a huge dog park and tons of trails and a 3 championship level disc golf courses which is another hobby of mine.

All,
I called today and the shelter agreed to put him on hold for me. I'll be picking him up on Saturday. Thanks for all the tips and encouragement, I'm sure I'll be a part of this forum for a few years to come.

Re: Thinking about adopting

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:12 am
by feraloup
Congrats!!! :D You'll have to share lots of pics with us when he gets settled in. I'm very excited for you! (And him! Sounds like he's landing a good home. You'll also havr to let us know what you decide on for a name when you get to that part.)

Cheers!

Re: Thinking about adopting

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:13 pm
by Schlussdibusti
YEAH !!! :cheer:

Re: Thinking about adopting

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:55 am
by leih merigian
Great...for all of you!

Re: Thinking about adopting

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:51 am
by hoosierpat
I picked up Tonto today from the shelter. I had a very good conversation with the shelter director about him and what his experience has been so far. I got him home and took him for a long walk and then let him explore the house. I've run into my first obstacle though, he is extremely possessive over anything that he gets in his mouth, that includes toys and, even worse, he loves my fiancee's shoes. He won't touch mine but he's hooked on hers. I posted a more detailed explanation on the behavior section and I linked to it below.

Help!

http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... =23&t=2391

Re: Thinking about adopting

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 am
by Boogies
Skijoring, dog sledding or training your dog to pull you, safely on a trail, on your bicycle is a great way to condition your dog and burn off its excess energy. You'll need a proper sled dog harness but they aren't expensive.

I can start a thread on training and gear if any one is interested.


Boofies