Page 2 of 2
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:27 pm
by Schlussdibusti
HARNW76 wrote: This poor dog has no chance and I have even less. Maybe I should just get a cat and call it a day.

How about a robot dog? You can program him anything you want him to be

- Giant-Robot-Dog-300x300.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm
by HARNW76
Schlussdibusti wrote:HARNW76 wrote: This poor dog has no chance and I have even less. Maybe I should just get a cat and call it a day.

How about a robot dog? You can program him anything you want him to be
Giant-Robot-Dog-300x300.jpg
That's perfect! I program large machines all day long for a living.
Finally a dog that I won't have to worry about what breeder he came from.
Sweet!

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:40 pm
by Schlussdibusti
HARNW76 wrote: Finally a dog that I won't have to worry about what breeder he came from.
Sweet!

Just to worry about the operating system, enough RAM, virus protection and power failures

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:47 pm
by HARNW76
Schlussdibusti wrote:HARNW76 wrote: Finally a dog that I won't have to worry about what breeder he came from.
Sweet!

Just to worry about the operating system, enough RAM, virus protection and power failures

LOL Exactly.

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:32 pm
by debmac
Harold,
The great thing about marker training is that it is really hard to screw up too badly! I imported my favorite GSD from Germany- old DDR lines. I had a friend who had a friend who was stationed in Germany. As part of his duty he evaluated working dogs and was ameniable to helping me find a suitable dog. A long story short- he found a dog who he said was exactly what I described, and hoped that he would not eat me. When Lex got out of his crate at Dulles after that long flight, I knew I had the right dog when he charged out straight for the tug. It was 3 months of many bruises, but we got it right and he was the dog of a lifetime.
With the care you are taking in looking at this point- I am sure you will find your doggie soulmate!
Deb
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:19 am
by HARNW76
Deb, thanks for those encouraging words. Because it's unlikely that I'll bring a puppy into our home while we still have our male I will have some months to learn about marker training before having to apply it to my DS.
It also helps having a newly acquired recue dog in the house. This poor things has had plenty of abuse but no training and is very timid. My intention is to use her in my first attempt at marker training. My hope is not only to learn things but that she will learn things also. I see it as a win-win situation. And if I don't do so well with her I'm still going to learn things just because I'm going through the process. And even if she doesn't do well either she will still be a gentle soul who will lay her head on my wife's lap for hours while she reads. And that's all my wife is looking for from her anyway. So it's all good.