Page 2 of 2

Re: Hello from Duke

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 pm
by Raven
Kelly replied. Hope you connected.

I was referring to the incompatible behavior becoming the default, that not necessarily being the response that is the goal. For example, let's say, Duke, that your favorite bedroom slippers are overstuffed pink bunnies with floppy ears (I know you own a pair!) but the dog goes after them/your feet whenever you wear them, so you give them an incompatible behavior (go to your place, down, whatever) because they aren't connecting the dots or can't resist. It can happen that whenever you wear the slippers, they perform the incompatible behavior...not really what you want since I suspect that you wear those bunny slippers an awful lot. You want to be able to wear the slippers and have the dog leave them and you alone without the dog being exiled all day to their place or in a down, whatever.

Time to go to work. Enjoy the day!

Re: Hello from Duke

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:56 am
by turnnburn52984
:) We have connected! Hope to get together this weekend. We'll see what he thinks of the brindle one.

What do I consider a fundamental behavior/cue? COME is my most important command. A reliable recall is my favorite thing- both to train, and to watch!

(hey Jenny- you reading this? Does a reliable formal recall HAVE to include a body slam? I think I've recently trained that one in.... :( I blame Force)

Re: Hello from Duke

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:14 pm
by alspyce
turnnburn52984 wrote::)
(hey Jenny- you reading this? Does a reliable formal recall HAVE to include a body slam? I think I've recently trained that one in.... :( I blame Force)
Regardless of what Mama said about keeping your knees together--------sometimes you just have to spread your legs! :lol:

Re: Hello from Duke

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:44 pm
by turnnburn52984
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a good one! :D

Re: Hello from Duke

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:27 pm
by Flying Dutchman
Welcome!

I agree, a reliable recall is essential and I consider "Off" to go along with that ("Off" in the terms of leaving something alone/stop what you are doing RIGHT NOW). "Out" is key as well so you can teach them to give back toys or release their grip from your arm/leg/hand, etc. :lol: Control with these dogs is key and I tell people all the time it's a full time job. Sounds like you've done your homework but just be ready to be constantly busy! And every dog is an individual and you will have to find what works best for you and your dog as a team. And make sure you give them a job like agility, etc. A tired Dutch is a good Dutch.

Re: Hello from Duke

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 am
by Falcone57usa
I actually got to see koenig today at the park thanks again Raven for interducing me it was a lot of fun and very impressive to watch. Kelly is going to hook me up with the local shutz group she runs koenig in and i'm strongly considering doing that with my dog when I get him/her.

I agree a strong come command is a very fundamental thing. I was impressed to see koe going full bore after his ball come to a screeching halt and come about to return to kelly when the command was given. it's a level of obedience I have not been able to achieve in my previous dogs but have always dreamed about.

you guys have gotten me really pumped up about this :)

Re: Hello from Duke

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:15 am
by turnnburn52984
Falcone57usa wrote: I agree a strong come command is a very fundamental thing. I was impressed to see koe going full bore after his ball come to a screeching halt and come about to return to kelly when the command was given.

Funny, how I have a great recall, but the damn dog won't down on a send out..... ROFL. (he just sat down, and turned and looked at me)

Sorry Koenig was not his usual friendly, flirty self- he was a bit preoccupied with the ball, as you saw. ;)

I'll see if I can drag some of my club together before January to do some group OB, and I'll let you know if we can work something out. You're always welcome to come watch- just be ready for a whole lot of GSD's! Koenig's the only 'cool' dog there. ;) :dswink"

Re: Hello from Duke

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:15 am
by Falcone57usa
ROFLMAO he is the only cool dog for now. but the plan to slowly take over the world is in place in the near future there will be two "cool" dogs :ds: :borg:

The down was pretty funny the look was a total "but mom!" lol

i'm fine with GSD's I have do admit I wanted one when I was younger that is until I discovered the true working dog breed :dssmile: I am very excited to meet the club