Page 4 of 4

Re: Hey from the beach

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:28 pm
by Kristie E
Breaking Bombs wrote:I just wanted to note how amazingly awesome of a dog brutus is. Some days I work all day, and like last night, I was gone for 20hrs without any notice (I thought it was going to be a normal 9-10hr day). But I came home home and he was doing great in the backyard, defending it from squirrels and birds, and charging me (with excitement) when I finally got home at 6am. He is full of energy when I want to play with him, or walk, but when I come home exhausted without the energy to even walk, he is ok and just just relaxes with and goes to sleep when I do. If only I could teach him to sleep in past 7am lol, haha.

save a half cup of food for right before bed... it works great for Gwen and I can get her to stay quiet til almost 800am!!

Re: Hey from the beach

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:32 am
by Mbach
Breaking Bombs wrote:just to update a little, I had him walking really well on the leash just a little bit ago. I had to stop about every ten steps for the first mile, but then he got the picture and walked beautifully besides me for the most part. Occasionally felt the need to take off in front, but I would just stop and wait for him to come back to my side before continuing.

One thing that does not fix is squirrels. I have never seen a dog so intent on killing squirrels. He will not be distracted by stopping, leash corrections, or luring with food. I am pretty sure he is gonna choke himself unconscious going after those buggers. Other small animals dont seem to bother him too much, though at least. He alerted to a cat, but didn't attempt to chase it.

Any suggestions for the super squirrel drive?
Nick,
I thought this post was great. I'm also in VA Beach, and my Dutch Dolly absolutely lives for chasing squirrels! She can be in the middle of a perfect walk and go ballistic when a squirrel runs up a tree. On occasion I let her loose if there is no one around. She never can quite catch them before they hit the tree, but that sure doesn't stop her from trying!