Page 1 of 2

Hi

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:47 pm
by saska8qt
Hi all...

New owner of a beautiful DS/Mal rescue. I adopted her from a shelter that listed her as a Shepherd Mix and at the time I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into. I grew up with a GSD and knew that I wanted another one, so when I saw this little black-masked girl I just thought she was a odd colored and underweight GSD. I didnt even know of these other breed possibilities before she came into my life. In the past few months I have definitely learned the difference! :twisted: I dunno, maybe she's a Dutch, maybe she's a Mal, either way she is half-Nuts.

She was the cutest/calmest/quietest dog in the shelter. Not shy, but just quiet. She accepted my male husky/shar-pei mix pretty quickly as they shared a few chicken mcnuggets on the ride home. (I know, i know, its not a regular treat at all. Its just my traditional "jail-break" treat I stop for when bringing past 3 dogs home from the pound.) After being in my home for 48 hours the true beast came out! :lol: She is prey-FREAK! Very fun and loving and great with all people she meets. But anything with four legs is lunch (along with butterflies, mosquitos and rain-drops.) Her obedience has been fast to learn, but even faster to forget everything in the face of distractions. I would venture to say she has A.D.D. to stay polite about it. My 3rd trainer, a reputable GSD breeder called her "bitch on drugs" with a laugh :dsroll:; and she actually loves him (thank God). Trainer #2, a K9 cop got fired after she bit him for being stupid. And #1, a K9 cop quit because she bit his new Canine Good Citizen assistant (leash was in trainers hand not mine, I told him not to underestimate her). She has really kept me on my toes for the past few months, and I am looking forward to further training and calm rituals before seeking sports etc.

I hope to get some good feedback and advice here. Sarcastic humor is welcome as long as its received well.

Its a pleasure to meet you; ladies, gentlemen and beasts.

Saska
Saska
photo.JPG (175.45 KiB) Viewed 5378 times

Re: Hi

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:12 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Weclome! :wave:

Re: Hi

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:39 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Welcome!, Thats quite a start:dsshock:

Re: Hi

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:05 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome! How old is she?

Re: Hi

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:07 pm
by kchristy
She is very pretty :)

Re: Hi

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:27 pm
by Jan
Welcome

Re: Hi

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:08 pm
by saska8qt
Trainer and Vet guess' are 7-10 months.

When do they mature and start being a bit more rational?

I'm training "Stay" at about 15ft distance. She's getting it easily, but then a leaf blows by and she's gone.

Re: Hi

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:12 pm
by kchristy
My Merlin is the same way, he stays put til the wind changes lol

Re: Hi

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:02 am
by leih merigian
Boy, you sure can see the devil in her eyes! What a cutie.

What a handful! Welcome to the world of the DS :lol: .

Re: Hi

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:13 pm
by alspyce
welcome

Re: Hi

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:58 pm
by kchristy
Do you have anymore pictures of her?

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:57 am
by wahinelf
She's awesome! 3rd trainer is a charm?

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:52 am
by saska8qt
wahinelf wrote:She's awesome! 3rd trainer is a charm?

I really hope so.

I am "all-in" at this point, and there's no turning back

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 am
by saska8qt
kchristy wrote:Do you have anymore pictures of her?

On the rare occasion she is staying still.... of course !!

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:25 am
by saska8qt
What do you think? Dutch, Mal or a mix?

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:29 am
by saska8qt
She definitely has brindle in her coat, it's just really dark.

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:35 am
by saska8qt
"Saska" and her new boyfriend, "Beck".

Their flirting is ridiculous.

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:59 pm
by Christie M
Congrats on the new dog! She is beautiful.

She absolutely has Dutch in her. It is not really feasible to tell if she has malinois, as the fawn is not shown when the brindle gene is present. However, if you adopted her from a shelter, I would doubt she is from the few FCI dogs in this country, so its safe to assume there's malinois in there somewhere.

Glad you found a trainer you can mesh with. Some sport work might not be a bad idea. Done right, it gives the dog a channel for that biting and allows you to put it on control.

Good luck with her and thanks for the pictures.

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:40 pm
by saska8qt
Christie M wrote: She absolutely has Dutch in her. It is not really feasible to tell if she has malinois, as the fawn is not shown when the brindle gene is present. However, if you adopted her from a shelter, I would doubt she is from the few FCI dogs in this country, so its safe to assume there's malinois in ...
Incredible to believe that she was running stray in the rough streets of (Kensington section) Philadelphia PA.

One of the trainers called her a "Mali-gator" :twisted: so that's when I started researching possible mixes.

Re: Hi

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:16 pm
by Christie M
saska8qt wrote: Incredible to believe that she was running stray in the rough streets of (Kensington section) Philadelphia PA.

One of the trainers called her a "Mali-gator" :twisted: so that's when I started researching possible mixes.
Unfortunately, not that hard to believe. There are a few "breeders" in the Philly area :(