Smartest things your DS does?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Smartest things your DS does?

Post by Sugars Mom »

How about the smartest thing(s) your dog has done? These dogs are problem solvers, so I am curious to hear about your smartie pants antics.

A couple of things Sugar figured out on her own:

Sugar impressed me the first day we got her, at 9 weeks, when we threw the ball for her to chase down the hallway. The carpet ends from the living room onto the hallway hardwood floors. There is an area rug in front of the door. First time she ran full to get the ball and as soon as she hit the hardwood she slid out. Second time we threw the ball, she ran full out to edge of carpet, then stopped, walked across hardwood floor, then galloped across area rug, again stopping at edge and then walked onto the hardwood floor to get the ball.

When she wants a certain toy at the bottom of her toy bucket and she can’t quite get to it; she will take out the toys on top one by one and place them beside the bucket until she can get to the toy she wants. It is sooo cute to watch!
Sue (and Sugar)

kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Re: Smartest things your DS does?

Post by kchristy »

That is cute! Merlin does the same thing on the floor. He will run down the hall way (carpet) and when he hits the livingroom and kitchen he slowly starts walking(there is tile in there) When we first got him he was so afraid to walk on tile or carpet, he walked around on his tippy toes.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

That's a really cute story!

I just love watching Geyser think...

The other day, we were playing "find it" with one of her toys, which I'd hide in another room in the house, then wait for her to return to me with it for some tugging.

On one of the reps, I took three other toys into the front room with me (she was on a down in the kitchen and couldn't see me). Two of the other "toys" were pieces of the same toy we were playing with (they were from an earlier version that had met its eventual bad end :D ). So, I had the full-sized rubber squeeky bone toy we were playing with, plus another kind of rubber bone, and two pieces that used to be a rubber squeeky bone (in other words, they looked pretty damn close to what we'd been ussing that session).

When I released her, she ran into the front room where all the toys were lined up...
she stopped, looked at the whole row, picked out the right toy and came rushing back for her tug reward. In the 5 seconds or so that she considered the toys, you could just see her thinking it through, and this is what I love..that she does think, and generally makes the right decision.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie is super smart.......... she knows she better "Out" when I tell her to drop the dog bed so she dosnt become Sadie Soup. :shotgun:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I don't know if it's the SMARTEST thing that Koenig does, but it is pretty cool to watch him run a short track with a blindfold on. :) It shows me that he trusts me not to send him off a cliff, and that he's using ONLY his nose. No physical cues from me, and no eyes... purely relying on scent to take the track. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZhrEaeo1QY
Kelly
Koenig
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Sorry but this is about my two black Labs.....

when we lived in Austin, TX and were romping around in the woods, my Ben picked up a XXL tree branch. The path was very narrow and sometimes lined with trees. When the branch was wider as the trees on the left and right, he dropped it, pulled it lenghtway through, picked it up again and kept running. In my opinion, he really thought this through and solved the problem. I remember seeing on 'America's Funniest Videos' a dog trying to walk through a door with a big stick, and tried, tried, tried........ :)

And my Jerry is right up there too. Also in the Austin, TX area, were some creeks with some 5 foot cliff like drops. A guy with another retriever was throwing a tennis ball over the cliff and his retriever was jumping down in the water. My Jerry is an absolute tennis ball lover and 'collector'. But he stood at the edge, looked down and then ran along the creek to find a shallow entry and swam up to get the ball. The guy saying "hee your dogs is afraid to jump!" No, but he is smartier than some juveniles jumping off cliffs not knowing how deep the water is and getting paralyzed!

I am sure Marco will come up with some smart stuff too when he is a bit more mature :whistle:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

Schlussdibusti wrote:I am sure Marco will come up with some smart stuff too when he is a bit more mature :whistle:
:lol: :lol:
Merlin is the same way!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
wahinelf
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!

Post by wahinelf »

On a hike one day I was on a path that was carved out of a hillside so basically to my right was steep hillside up and to my left steep hillside covered with leaves down. I was drinking out of my water bottle which has a detachable lid and I accidentally dropped it. Then, being a total butterfingers I picked it up and dropped it again, but this time it rolled about 10 feet down the hill into the leaves and things. Now, 10 month old Ellie was pretty much just watching the whole thing, not really caring. But when I dropped the lid I screamed, and so she looked at me for a second and then very gingerly sidled down the hill to reach the lid. She then very lightly grabbed it for me and had to struggle back up the hill. She almost slid back down a couple times and I had to drag her up by her collar when she got close enough BUT I WAS SO PROUD. It was just her instantaneous reaction. (And at that point she wasn't much of a fetch kinda girl, which made it all the more impressive).
-Aubrey

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The cutes thing Sadie does is "go to bed" She is so funny with it, when she was little and it was bed time, I would tell everyone, time to go to bed, Sadie would just go right into her crate and would waite for me to kiss her good night. Sometimes I could just tell her, "bring your bone to bed" and she would come out, get her bone and go back in. Now that she sleeps in my room, I say "time for bed" and upstairs to her bed she goes and waits.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

One of my rare - "Bad" Dante stories was really smart.

I went to work an art show for my parents (Dad's a wildlife photographer). They had another obligation, so they dropped me, the motor home and my dogs off in the middle of the woods at a Nature Center. I left the dogs crated (of course) and worked the show all day. Dante broke out of his crate, opened the fridge (and must have hit a switch or two) and ate all of the food. When I got back, the batteries had died, I couldn't get the generator to start..... So I was all alone, in the cold with no heat, miles from anyone, with no food. All I had was 2 warm bodies, sprite and a bottle of Jim Beam. That was the last time I ever drank Jim Beam.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

[quote="Christie M"] So I was all alone, in the cold with no heat, miles from anyone, with no food. All I had was 2 warm bodies, sprite and a bottle of Jim Beam. That was the last time I ever drank Jim Beam.[/quote

:lol: :lol: :lol: I bet you weren't cold OR hungry! :eew:
Lauren from Western NC
Ecclissi
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: So, we inherited a very young Dutch Shepard (possibly a mix) rather unexpectedly. He is probably not even a year old yet. Our Boston is 13 and thinks his klutzy self will bowl her right over. She has some eyesight problems and gets scared when he suddenly runs right up wanting to sniff and play like he had with a play mate who was both younger and bigger.
He is clearly a real sweetheart, but the introduction between them is definitely challenging..
We intend to get him into puppy classes ASAP, but meanwhile we are working on potty training and walking on a leash.
That said, the walk with both dogs this afternoon went pretty well once we could get them to focus on walking instead of focusing on each other.
I'm putting it in the win column.
Meanwhile, suggestions to hold us over until puppy class would be very welcome...
Thanks!

Post by Ecclissi »

turnnburn52984 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:38 am I don't know if it's the SMARTEST thing that Koenig does, but it is pretty cool to watch him run a short track with a blindfold on. :) It shows me that he trusts me not to send him off a cliff, and that he's using ONLY his nose. No physical cues from me, and no eyes... purely relying on scent to take the track. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZhrEaeo1QY
Your video is set to private, and I totally get it but I'd love to see the vid?
"Russell! Drop that! Where are your toys?"
(It seems to be my new most commonly used daily phrase lol!)
Ecclissi
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: So, we inherited a very young Dutch Shepard (possibly a mix) rather unexpectedly. He is probably not even a year old yet. Our Boston is 13 and thinks his klutzy self will bowl her right over. She has some eyesight problems and gets scared when he suddenly runs right up wanting to sniff and play like he had with a play mate who was both younger and bigger.
He is clearly a real sweetheart, but the introduction between them is definitely challenging..
We intend to get him into puppy classes ASAP, but meanwhile we are working on potty training and walking on a leash.
That said, the walk with both dogs this afternoon went pretty well once we could get them to focus on walking instead of focusing on each other.
I'm putting it in the win column.
Meanwhile, suggestions to hold us over until puppy class would be very welcome...
Thanks!

Post by Ecclissi »

wahinelf wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:52 am On a hike one day I was on a path that was carved out of a hillside so basically to my right was steep hillside up and to my left steep hillside covered with leaves down. I was drinking out of my water bottle which has a detachable lid and I accidentally dropped it. Then, being a total butterfingers I picked it up and dropped it again, but this time it rolled about 10 feet down the hill into the leaves and things. Now, 10 month old Ellie was pretty much just watching the whole thing, not really caring. But when I dropped the lid I screamed, and so she looked at me for a second and then very gingerly sidled down the hill to reach the lid. She then very lightly grabbed it for me and had to struggle back up the hill. She almost slid back down a couple times and I had to drag her up by her collar when she got close enough BUT I WAS SO PROUD. It was just her instantaneous reaction. (And at that point she wasn't much of a fetch kinda girl, which made it all the more impressive).
That is really smart and very empathetic :)
"Russell! Drop that! Where are your toys?"
(It seems to be my new most commonly used daily phrase lol!)