Page 1 of 1

Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 am
by HeinzDogOwner
Hi! I'm a new member looking at adopting a Dutch Shepherd. I had looked at this breed and Malinois for some time, however I also currently have a rescue mixed breed. I hadn't actually physically looked at dogs until I ran into a Dutch Shepherd in a local shelter (labeled as a GS). I did a post in Rescue, but would appreciate any advice from someone who doesn't look in the Rescue section. I've copied the text below. Thanks for any of your thoughts.
HeinzDogOwner

I'd appreciate any advice for a possible first time owner. There's a great looking Dutch Shepherd 11 month female puppy at the Hampton Roads SPCA shelter. Here's the link;
http://www.peninsulaspca.com/petango/
She's listed as Dippsy. There's pictures and a video. Looks in great health, very interested and friendly to people. She was jumping four feet up when I saw her in an outdoor kennel and was very focused on the staff, almost totally ignored me on the outside. She became a lot more interested in me when back in the indoor crates. She's a return, adopted out once then returned shortly with the comment "uncontrollable - won't learn commands." The staff comment on the paperwork is "unrealistic expectations" and I believe them.

I'm looking for any experience/advice from people who've got a full time job and a Dutch Shepherd - how do they handle 9 hours at home. Also, I've got another dog, a rescue mixed breed, large dog, real sweetheart but he's really been scarred by earlier owners, we've finally got him physically well and he's coming out more each day (after 2 years). I honestly think he doesn't know how to play with other dogs and doesn't want to learn. I don't want him in a war on his home turf - does anyone out there have experience with a DS and a much less active dog sharing space?

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:41 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Hello. I saw your other message and posted there.

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 am
by leih merigian
Bob, you can work full time and have a DS, but most of the rest of your life will be devoted to the DS. Is that what you're looking for? Especially this one; she sounds like she needs a lot of work and exercise and training and attention.

Who knows if the two dogs will get along? You can't predict that by breeds or mixes alone. They have personality conflicts and preferences, just like we do. Again, are you committed enough to the DS breed and this girl to put up with however it turns out? There are many people who own multiple dogs who have to keep the dogs totally separated. It's a real management trial.

What attracts you to this girl, anyway? To the DS breed? (It would help a lot to answer your questions to know...)

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:06 pm
by Marjolein
welcome :D

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:04 pm
by alspyce
Welcome

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:13 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Get a basset hound. Yes, she is very beautiful, Im also willing to say she may have some Pitt?? That could be the brindle too. This is a big commitment. I work full time but luckily from home and I have two young children. I would not have gotten another DS if I worked out of the house. They are high energy dogs and do need alot of mental and physical stimulation or they will be destructive.

Where will you keep her while you are out? Is there anyone to help with her during the day that can let her out and control her?

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:24 am
by HeinzDogOwner
Thanks for all the advice, based on it I'm going to hold off on adoption. More than one reason here - first and most those are staggering time and devotion estimates. I can guarantee a half hour plus both before and after work. Probably more time ever other day, plus every other day home at lunch. But that seems to be the initial bid for a healthy dog and I'd be negligent if I cut the time less. Also, the universal comment is that the target dog, although nice, isn't a DS. My wife's dog friends have narrowed it down to an Australian cattle blended with something else. Thanks again and I appreciate your thoughts.

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 am
by leih merigian
Hey Bob! It's so nice when someone actually listens to us about the time demands for a dog like a DS. Good decision...and hope you end up finding the right dog for you and your situation.

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:05 am
by kchristy
Good luck, and congrats on being able to make the right choice that is best for your family and future pet.