Page 1 of 1
Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 pm
by Diesel
Hello, I just discovered this forum. I live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Canada. I have two dogs, one is a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd (Diesel) and the other is a 1 year old Husky Lab cross (Halo). I have been told by our local vet that Diesel is the only Dutch Shepherd in all of the Northwest Territories and area of 1,140,835 km2 (440,000 sq mi)!
Diesel gets lots of exercise every day but recently he has started looking up and chasing nothing. I think he needs to get more mental stimulation to stop this behaviour. I am going to start agility with him this summer and I would also like to start training him to track. It's amazing how smart these dogs are and they need a lot more than just exercise.
Looking forward to getting to know other DS owners.
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:41 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome from BC!
Love to see more pics!
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:21 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Welcome! Nice looking dogs. Agility is a great activity for dogs. When you said he is looking up and chasing nothing, immediately I thought about laser pointers. You don't mess with any of those, do you? They cause OCD problems with dogs and they start chasing nothing.
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:28 pm
by Diesel
Here's a few more pics...more to come!
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 pm
by Diesel
We don't play with laser pointers. One of my roommates had before and I put a stop to it right away. I could see the obsession in his behaviour and although it was entertaining for a moment, I know it wasn't a healthy behaviour.
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:48 pm
by Lauren
Welcome! What a handsom pair!!! I bet you get some looks out walking them.
I was thinking of reflections/ shadows and lights too. i have a friend who's dog was introduced to the laser light (by a step son) and has been a crazy neurotic mess ever since.

Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:06 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Great water picture!
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 pm
by alspyce
Welcome, glad you found us!
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:34 pm
by felixone123
howdy

nice shots.
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:13 am
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome!
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:44 pm
by leih merigian
Welcome!
Diesel and Halo are just gorgeous together!
You are so right about them needing the mental stimulation as well as the physical. My girl needs both, daily, or she gets kind of nusto.
Until you can start on agility (summer is a ways off yet), why not try doing stuff you can do at home...teach him some tricks, stuff like that. If you've taught him to "find it" and search for toys inside, do that, increase the difficulty (hide the toy under rugs, up high, etc.) from what ever level he's at now. Reward with tug or treats...vary the reward so it's a surprise. 5 or 10 minutes of a good searching game will do wonders.
Love the water pic!
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:46 pm
by kchristy
Welcome! Pretty dogs!
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome!