Page 1 of 2

Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:30 pm
by turnnburn52984
Hello~
My name is Kelly. I'm new to the Dutch Shepherd world, and currently own a 1 1/2 yr old male, that I rescued about 6 months ago. Was always aware of the breed... just not willing to spend $1500 for a quality pup when a good working GSD runs 1/2 that price. :) I work in rescue, and snatched this guy up his first day there. Koenig (formerly known as Pepper) is a beautiful dark brindle, that was simply too much for his prior owner. He had very little basic obedience when I got him, and he had never lived in a home (He was tied out in the back yard his entire life) His first few week with me were ...very interesting... to say the least. He'd growl at the dishwasher, at the toliet, and tried to attack the bathtub drain the first time he saw it. He's a good. Not exactly a perfect example of the breed, he's 80 lbs and still growing, has dewclaws, and has a white ''7" on his chest. Oh well! He's perfect to me! We are joining our local schutzhund club, where I expect him to excell. High drive, and a good solid bite are already very apparent. To top off that- he's wonderful with my 2 kids! My 2 1/2 yr old can lay on him, and boss him around to her hearts content. :D

We also have a 2 yr old English Pointer, a cat, and a horse.

Here is the star of my show!!

Image

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/ ... CN2926.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/ ... CN3398.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/ ... G_0678.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/ ... G_0513.jpg

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:16 pm
by icvanstra
Welcome!

You mentioned the high price of a Dutch Shepherd when there were good GSD's for 1/2 the... which the reverse was how it worked for me.

I had settled in on a shepherd type dog, thought the GSD's were too expensive, was actively looking at Malinois' and found the Dutch Shepherd.

eric

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:25 pm
by turnnburn52984
Funny how it works out sometimes! There are not any quality DS breeders in my area that I've found. I'm not opposed to ordering a pup, and shipping...but I'd really have to develop a good relationship with a breeder before I'd trust them to pick a pup that would meet my desires in drive. On the other hand, there are a couple GSD breeders around here competing with some dogs that are cross training schutzhund and french ring. :)

My DS fell into my lap, and I totally lucked out! Got a great dog, with little training, for free. lol. Nevermind his bad past life... we're slowly working through it. ;)

Thanks for the welcome. Nice to find more DS people. I'm sick of folks around town asking if I have a black GSD, or if he's a GSD mix. :P To my knowledge there are only 2 in my area.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:17 am
by leih merigian
Hey Kelly!

Welcome to the forum...glad you found us.

Your dog is beautiful and I'm so glad he found you :D .

I'll look forward to hearing about your SchH training...

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:15 am
by turnnburn52984
Thanks! I think he's a pretty good lookin guy too. ;)
I'm looking forward to starting SchH. We've got lots of work to do on the basics, but he should sail through. Killer drive and fight in him, just from the work I've done on my own. I was REALLY lucky in finding him. Just about exactly what I would have looked for from a breeder.... except he was neutered the day before I got him. I would have liked to keep him intact at least till 2-3 years of age, just to make sure he's fully mature. Oh well! There will always be next time, as I'm totally hooked on DS's now. No more Mali-nuts, or GSD's for me!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:36 pm
by leih merigian
turnnburn52984 wrote:There will always be next time, as I'm totally hooked on DS's now. No more Mali-nuts, or GSD's for me!
So, tell me your thinking here. Just curious. How is your guy so different from both other breeds, and why do you like your DS so much?

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:51 pm
by turnnburn52984
He's got the bone and size of a working line GSD, the agility, drive and speed of a Mal, easygoing nature in the house (even though he does not have an 'off' switch), he's patient with the kids. He has the athletic ability of the best Mali's (IMO, of course, he's still a very young, green dog, but the potential is there. 8' fences are nothing to this kid- I can't wait to see him over a palisade.)
DS's typically have WAY better health then GSD's, and there are not many backyard breeders polluting the working nature of the breed. (not saying they are not out there, but I've not run across many) Koenig is stubborn, but shows an intense desire to please. He's intelligent, and sometimes tends to overthink things, which make daily living with him as a house dog a great challenge. Thats what makes it fun!

I think a DS is the best of both of the 'great' working breeds. The old school GSD's, and Belgians have been turned into a blazing ball of brindle!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 pm
by leih merigian
Thanks for expanding on your opinions. The puppy I have is my first DS, and I've heard a ton of great things about this breed. Always good to hear more ;) .

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm
by vneerland
:wave: Welcome Kelly and King...uh..Koenig. ;)
turnnburn52984 wrote:Not exactly a perfect example of the breed, he's 80 lbs and still growing, has dewclaws, and has a white ''7" on his chest. Oh well!
They all have dewclaws, so that in itself does not exclude him from the 'perfect' list. (assuming you are talking about the front) Size, yes, a good bit too generous and with the white, I would not be surprised if there was working malinois behind that. One particular dog that had a lot of offspring (mostly in the working field) produced that pretty consisently. Look up Elgos du Chemin des Plaines and see how many of his progeny sport that same excessive white. Your Koenig does not have an Elgos head though, so I would assume the blood is a good bit removed from your dog. And who cares, right? It seems that you have found what you were looking for, that's what counts. Giving a rescue a chance is a very good deed, after all. Just not sure where you came up with that price for a DS pup, but even that does not matter, because you and Koenig have found each other and it seems that you are now an official DS fan on account if it! Cool!!! :yeah:

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:54 am
by turnnburn52984
vneerland wrote::wave: Welcome Kelly and King...uh..Koenig. ;)
Hey! His original name was Pepper (Umm.... L.A.M.E.!!!!) I thought I was being creative. LOL. It gets most people. Can't fool you guys though!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:24 am
by FG167
turnnburn52984 wrote:DS's typically have WAY better health then GSD's, and there are not many backyard breeders polluting the working nature of the breed. (not saying they are not out there, but I've not run across many) Koenig is stubborn, but shows an intense desire to please. He's intelligent, and sometimes tends to overthink things, which make daily living with him as a house dog a great challenge. Thats what makes it fun!

I think a DS is the best of both of the 'great' working breeds. The old school GSD's, and Belgians have been turned into a blazing ball of brindle!
EXACTLY what drew me to DS's myself and I would say that Madix has a very similar temperament/personality - definitely keeps me on my toes! I love your Avatar pic!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:15 pm
by turnnburn52984
Just saw this reply. oops! :) Yup, I can't let my guard down (that makes Koenig sound mean..) with this dog! Must stay alert! His newest obsession is kitty stalking. Luckily, my cat is 'dog-proof' and just lets him shadow her everywhere. He even waits at the opening to the litter box when she's busy! Crazy dog.
Thanks about the Avatar! We were out playing at a park. He's a smiling dog. :)

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:56 pm
by Marjolein
welcome! So a German name for an american Dutch Shepherd huh? confusing :roll: :lol: :lol:

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 pm
by turnnburn52984
A bit, yes. Most people can't tell the difference though. :) Plus, I speak german... it was easier then finding a Dutch translator to figure out King, and any pronunciation differences. And King (in english) is like naming a black dog smokey, or shadow. Lame, IMO. :D

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:24 pm
by Marjolein
ach so, du sprichts Deutsch? Wir Holländer kennen alle sprachen :mrgreen:

:huh:

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:59 pm
by turnnburn52984
Ich lernte Deutsch in der High School, es ist nicht sehr gut mehr!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:42 am
by Brindle
Hi Kelly,
I'm in Oregon and occasionally make it up to trials in WA.
How is your SchH training going with Koenig ?

Jenny

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 pm
by turnnburn52984
It's going quite well, thank you!! I think we'll be ready for our BH in a couple more months. He's SUCH a motivated dog, he's just been a breeze to train. I know we'll hit roadblocks along the way... but it's part of life. :)

We'll be traveling to OR no problem when he's ready to trial, we have family down there as well. (Plus my other half is looking for jobs in the Vancouver area) Let me know when you are headed up to WA, we'll have to have a meeting of the striped dogs. :) I'll do the same next time I'm headed down to OR!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:09 pm
by Brindle
Sounds like a wonderful plan !!!
Would be great to meet. Stripeys are the best :D

Just sent off for Force's scorebook.
Hoping to start 2011 with his BH.
Will definately be in touch if ( when ) we head up to WA.

Jenny

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest! (WA)

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:39 am
by k9katet
I'm hoping to do Narc's BH next year too. When do you think the rule changes will go into effect?