Page 1 of 1

Hello from Florida!

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:44 am
by KRoberts626
Decided it was time I introduce myself :) My name is Kristen. I have my first Dutch Shepherd who is 4.5 months old. Her name is Ziva (Asheley, if you read this we changed her call name! LOL). It's been a while since I've had a dog in my life. I used to own Beaucerons and had 3 of them. Also had 1 GSD and a couple Malinois in the past as well. I used to train French Ring Sport, and I hope to get back into it soon! I also dabbled in a few other areas, basically whatever looks like fun! Obedience, agility, herding and Schutzhund.

That's all I can think of for now. Will post pics when I can figure out how to resize!

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:13 am
by turnnburn52984
Hi! I'm new here too! :D

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 pm
by vneerland
:wave: Welcome here Kristen.
How are you liking your first Dutch Shepherd?

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:50 pm
by KRoberts626
Judith-
Loving her :) She is by far the most stable and environmentally sound dog I've ever owned. And I guess that's saying a lot since she's still a puppy :) She has excellent drives as well, but at the same time is calm in the house. Of course she has her crazy times like any puppy, and that's usually when my husband is playing with her! The only thing I have had difficulty with was her housebreaking, but I think we finally got that down! We are going on 2 weeks with no accidents. For a while I didn't know if it had to do with age, breed, or sex (I haven't had a female dog since about 2002 or so) or a combination of, but after 10 days on cranberry pills everything smoothed out :)

I'm currently in the process of trying to get into contact with someone for Ring Sport so can hopefully get more serious about training :) (especially now that the weather here will start cooling down!)

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 pm
by Christie M
Hey Kristen,

Welcome to the group!! I have a littermate to your Ziva - her name is Vrijheid's Geisha. She is awesome and I love her to pieces. She was doing some fun grip work until teething and now we have switched to hunt games, retrieving and tracking. She is envirnmentally stable and fine with all people and animals. What I have noticed (that I like) is that she isn't busting at the seems to greet everyone. She isn't shy and she will say hello confidently. But she can be very indifferent. That being said, she is also very independent and just fine amusing herself too (check the "Keeping Up With the Jones'" thread in the Puppy section.

Anyway, good luck with her and I can't wait to see pictures. From your avatar pic, they look VERY similar - including being in water. Geis LOVES to swim!!

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:38 pm
by leih merigian
Hi Kristen!

Ziva is such a cool name! Rolls right on off the tongue...

Glad you're enjoying your new puppy so much...it's really cool to have another pair of littermates around here (you and Christie have littermates, and Heather, another forum member and I have littermates, who are now 14.5 weeks old, and Asheley and Josh kept the third littermate, so they're all represented here :D ).

Hope you come here often!

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:19 am
by Christie M
leih merigian wrote:Hi Kristen!

Ziva is such a cool name! Rolls right on off the tongue...

Glad you're enjoying your new puppy so much...it's really cool to have another pair of littermates around here (you and Christie have littermates, and Heather, another forum member and I have littermates, who are now 14.5 weeks old, and Asheley and Josh kept the third littermate, so they're all represented here :D ).

Hope you come here often!
Josh kept back a littermate to your puppy Leih, and Asheley kept back a littermate to ours :love:
Puppies everywhere!!!

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:06 pm
by KRoberts626
Christie M wrote:Hey Kristen,

Welcome to the group!! I have a littermate to your Ziva - her name is Vrijheid's Geisha. She is awesome and I love her to pieces. She was doing some fun grip work until teething and now we have switched to hunt games, retrieving and tracking. She is envirnmentally stable and fine with all people and animals. What I have noticed (that I like) is that she isn't busting at the seems to greet everyone. She isn't shy and she will say hello confidently. But she can be very indifferent. That being said, she is also very independent and just fine amusing herself too (check the "Keeping Up With the Jones'" thread in the Puppy section.

Anyway, good luck with her and I can't wait to see pictures. From your avatar pic, they look VERY similar - including being in water. Geis LOVES to swim!!
Oh Ziva IS "busting at the seams" to greet everyone! LOL More like a Golden or a Lab. But I'm not minding it at all considering how many kids she's around and plays with. Just because of her over excitement she jumps and gets mouthy (jumping is improving, mouthiness not so much). We are doing some light tugging lately. Her desire to tug is very much there, but she certainly isn't tugging as hard as she used to, so we've cut back a lot! And she's OBSESSED with water. The beach, the pool (dives in), and sometimes I even find her in the bathtub licking the faucet LOL

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:58 pm
by Marjolein
welcome, Ziva sounds like a noce dog :)

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:00 am
by FG167
Hello! Welcome!

I also have littermates to Christie - her Salix and my Madix. :)

I think Beaucerons are gorgeous dogs! What were they like compared to your Dutch Shepherd?

Re: Hello from Florida!

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 pm
by KRoberts626
FG167 wrote:Hello! Welcome!

I also have littermates to Christie - her Salix and my Madix. :)

I think Beaucerons are gorgeous dogs! What were they like compared to your Dutch Shepherd?
oh wow, I typed up a response yesterday and just realized that I hit "preview" and not submit LOL

Ok, my response is based on my experiences as well as what I have learned about the breeds by my experiences and what I've learned from breeders. It's funny that it seems like DS owners are often attracted to Beaucerons and vice versa ;)

I first learned of the Beauceron in 1993 and got my first in 1996. I have owned 3 males, been friends/acquaintances with many breeders and owners throughtout the US & Europe. Personally for me, what drew me to the DS was that there are more people working them, and therefore, it seemed as though you were more likely to find one with proper drive, stable temperament and generally speaking- healthy.

My first Beauceron was dysplastic and fear aggressive. Dangerously so. He was better out away from home. But inside the home, he was extremely fearful of anyone that walked in the house. He loved me to death, but even if he met this person outside first, and would be fine, once they were in the house, he was no longer fine with this person. He would hide under a table or desk, shake and growl. Any attempt to get him out from hiding, or if you went by his hiding spot would result in screaming, bite frenzy panic. Despite that behavior, he was an excellent obedience dog and had a knack for herding. He wouldn't play ball or tug if it would save his life.

My 2nd Beauceron was beautiful, very "showy." He lacked prey drive, seemed confident, but bluffed it. If you called his bluff (or if you just weren't afraid of how he "showed off"), he would immediately go into avoidance and back down. He too was dysplastic (unilaterally). He loved doing obedience, agility and tracking. He too would not play ball or tug. Or he might chase a ball that was thrown, but wouldn't pick it up. Both dogs had excellent food drive.

My 3rd Beauceron, "Goliath" was my French Ring dog and came from phenomenal parents. I love a GOOD Beauceron. It's just unfornately so hard to find one that has drive, stable temperament and is healthy. There are a lot of heart problems and bad hips. Also spookiness and fear of loud noises. Goliath had everything you could ask for in a Beauce, he was stable and had excellent drives. He would have been titled, but there had been some major life changes going on for myself.

Of course, my Ziva is only 5 months old, so I can only go by my experiences raising her and what I've seen in other DS. The biggest downfall of a Beauceron is their slow maturity rate. While a DS, Malinois or GSD might be mature about 18 months- 2 years of age, you'd be looking for at 3-4 years for a Beauceron.

Their pack "drive" or mentality is quite different. A DS seems like it'll bond to the entire family. A Beauceron loves the family, but will especially bond to 1 specific person. It will not always be the person intended. They can be somewhat "extreme" with how they will bond to this one person. Now Ziva loves everyone. But for example, if my husband and I are in a room and one of us gets up, she's quick to follow to see where we are going. If I get up, she follows, and pretty much stays with me, and will occasionally "check" on my husband. If my husband gets up from the room, she sees where he's going and then comes back to stay with me. She also follows my 6 year old son to see what he does. She's more intent on it when he has friends over! She's watchful, but I know she's slightly more bonded to me, but that's natural as I feed her and do the obedience :D With my Beauces, if I got up they followed. If someone else got up from the room, they could care less. They were reliable off lead from a young age because of that bond (I believe).

And how they work in drive is very different. DS seem to work primarily out of prey and/or fight. Beaucerons have a very high defense drive. They can be very quick with it. I haven't seen them work out of fight so much, although my Goliath loved to fight the decoy. The harder the decoy fought him, the more he was like "bring it on!" and fought harder.

Their socialability was all different. Goliath was the most social, but also the most confident. The other ones were more suspicious on varying degrees (outside the home).

I would love to own another working Beauceron some day. It's just so difficult to find one, unfortunately even in France it's diminishing.