Page 1 of 1

Looking for fellow Oregonians

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 pm
by elcomputo1
Hi. I'm retired and living the the Portland OR area. I am looking to connect with other owners of one or more of these great dogs who live not too far away. :dssmile:

Re: Looking for fellow Oregonians

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:42 am
by leih merigian
Hey!

What's your name? Do you watch Portlandia? :lol:

Re: Looking for fellow Oregonians

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:35 pm
by vneerland
Welcome elcom. Please tell us if you are M/MN/F/FS :mrgreen: and if you have a name. Then create a little signature line and voila....everybody happy ;)

Re: Looking for fellow Oregonians

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:51 am
by Brindle
I'm about 2 hours or so south of Portland.
Occasionally I train or trial up in the Portland area.
Are you wanting to meet some Dutch Shepherds ?
Or talk to owners of them ?
Both ?
There are a wealth of knowledgable owners here on this forum who are more than happy to share experiences, advise and thoughts about this breed. So ask away :D

Re: Looking for fellow Oregonians

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:15 am
by pdlucky
I would love to know when the trials are in Portland. I live in Newberg and would like to see what things I am going to teach my guy to do.

Also it would be cool to let them socialize with some other Dutch Shepherd.

Remington absolutely loved bouncing around in the snow tonight. I heard Eugene had 6 inches of snow, how are you making out down south?

Re: Looking for fellow Oregonians

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:31 pm
by Brindle
What type of trials are you intrested in ?

"Force" is currently training/trialing in schutzhund.

I'm about 30 mins South of Eugene. The snow has caused a lot of issues. We had close to 8 inches. Power outages, numerous trees down, accidents everywhere.
I work nights so driving home in my little 2 wheel drive Ford Ranger was a little hairy :eek: . Normally takes around 30 mins, feel pretty lucky that I was able to make it safely in 2 hours.

Re: Looking for fellow Oregonians

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm
by pdlucky
I think I would like to just do agility training whith him. Shutzhund is very interesting to me and I know I would enjoy going through learning and training him but in the end I feel that with him being a part of our family that he would be protective naturally and as long as I teach him and he learns who is friend and who is not, which is my understanding he will through socialization that he will be the family dog we want. I will still take him to some Shutzhund events just because it amazes me how much control these dogs are capable of. Truly amazing animals. I would like to find someone who has some experience with them that would be willing to meet up and let the dogs interact and hopfully give me some tips and pointers as to how to raise them properly.

Re: Looking for fellow Oregonians

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:47 am
by Brindle
Schutzhund isn't for everyone, or every dog. It isn't 'protection dog' training. That's a whole other activity.
If you decide you'd like to see what Schutzhund is all about there are a couple of clubs up in the Portland area I could put you in touch with.

Agility is FUN !!!!!!!!!
You guys will have a blast together.
I use to compete with my Rott ( now deceased ) and Beauceron. It's very addictive.
Sadly when I got Force my work schedule changed and getting to classes became a serious problem so we haven't persued that sport.... yet ;) Might in the future if things change.

You are in luck, there is an agility trial this weekend not too far from you.
It's a CPE trial http://www.k9cpe.com .
It's in Turner. The entry premium has directions so you can find the place http://www.k9cpe.com/premiums/032412orfleetfeet.pdf . You might want to print it out as they'll take the premium off the site in the next couple of days.
More good news ....... the owner of the location that the trial is at is an agility trainer :D
I'd HIGHLY recommend her for lessons. She had/has a Dutch Shepherd, not sure is she still does as I haven't trialed in agility in about 3 years.
Her name is Barb White. Awesome, awesome trainer.
If you go out say hello from me ( Jenny with Henry the Rottweiler - everyone knew us back then )

I'll be in Oregon City April 1st. Force will be taking his odor recognition test. We just started nosework. Another fun sport you might enjoy doing together. It's simular to drug dog training, but a sport version, and the dogs find different odors ( birch, anise, clove ), not 'drug' odors.
How far are you from Oregon City ? Maybe you could come out and watch the test, then afterwards we could chat DS stuff ;)
Feel free to send me a PM and we can work out meeting details if it'll work out.