A hello from NY

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Matt
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 am
Tell us about yourself: College Junior taking some time to read up and learn well in advance of owning my first personal dog.

A hello from NY

Post by Matt »

Hello all. My name is Matt and I'll try to keep this short; I'm a college sophomore living in Albany hailing from Long Island, New York. Growing up I had two Rottweilers for siblings along with my brother and sister and they're the ones who showed me how great dogs could be. My Dad has a Belgian Malinois currently, and though he's a fun dog, he is far from the typical Belgian. I have a great passion for animals (dogs in particular) and after a lot of thinking and researching I've lowered my decision to a handful of breeds, the DSG being number one among them currently. Ideally I will be getting the puppy in three years time (post grad), though I wanted to run over a few things to see if I was right in settling on a DSG.

Ideally I want a dog who can go hiking with me. Not necessarily incredibly long, grueling journeys every weekend, but maybe every other :D. I also want a dog who can protect me, but who will be manageable with friends and children. When I say protect, I mean I specifically want him or her to go through specialized training in foundation style. This video is essentially what I'm looking for my dog to become. Since the dog will likely be around for when I have children, I also want to be able to trust him/her (with supervision of course) to protect them as well. Occasionally I like to go on vacation, so if I have to leave the dog for let's say a week long cruise, it will be able to handle itself in a kennel or while being watched by a friend.

Those are just things off the top of my head. It's been a long week and today was no exception, but I really wanted to touch base after lurking around here for a few days. Well anyway, I look forward to talking more with all of you and to any and all responses I get here!

Regards,
Matt
Matthew Durkin from New York
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: A hello from NY

Post by leih merigian »

Hi Matt, and welcome,

Just a few things, and I'm sure others will be along to make comments as well.

To take your dog (any dog) out twice a month for long, grueling hikes, you of course will have to invest a lot of time in keeping the dog conditioned to be able to handle those kinds of hikes. Weekend warriors become injured warriors, regardless of the species :mrgreen: .

I watched part of that video, and that dog is well trained, but you should realize that what that dog is doing is basically a game for the dog. The dog is having a blast, as it should be when it gets to bite. That's the basis of most protection sports; it's all a game to the dog. To assume that all dogs who have that kind of training would be able to take the fight to a real life attacker, and "protect" you, would be a big gamble. That's not to say that you can't train your dog to be a deterrent, and intimidating, but in general, it's not likely that most dogs would truly be able to stand up under a real attacker. (Check a thread on here called Ummm, I think...this whole topic is dicussed.)

If you are out in the world with a well-trained and obedient dog that looks like a police K-9, as DSs do, then that is likely enough to convince opportunists to look elsewhere for a mark. If you plan to live in some third world country where you truly need this kind of protction, perhaps you'd be better served investing in some good guns. I'm serious. Most people don't live in situations that require a dog to protect them. Besides, do you want your dog going up against a gun or knife?

As far as a dog being able to handle being kenneled occasionally, that is in part a training issue, and that applies to any breed.

Can DSs be good family members? Yes. That's also a training issue (or a lot of them :mrgreen: ), as long as you get a pup that has the temperament to be developed into a good family member.

It's great that you're doing a thorough job of research long before you get your pup!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Matt
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 am
Tell us about yourself: College Junior taking some time to read up and learn well in advance of owning my first personal dog.

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Matt »

Definitely know that to have a pup go hiking will take some time and effort :). I forgot to mention that I would like to have an off leash dog while doing so. Are they good candidates in everyones experience? And that was just one video. Another one (found here) is a good example of what I want for protection. And I wanted a protection dog just because if I was ever in a situation like that, I would want to know the dog would at least be helpful. I have actually also looked into NY gun laws and been to the range (family full of police here) and anticipate owning a gun once I turn 21.
Matthew Durkin from New York
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hi Matt and welcome,

I have 2 DS and 2 young children and they both are great with kids. My older dog, 9, I trust 100 percent around my kids. My younger one is still fantastic with them but she is young as well.

As far as hiking, they can go forever, but as Leih said, any animal needs consistent work to keep muscles and tendons and body in shape. I take both of my Ds hiking and they love it. My older dog comes mountain biking with me every weekend and has no problem keeping up with us, and my rides are hard and long. Just be sure to have a solid recall and work on the squirrel chasing.

Again, as Leih said, the bite work is all fun. I did ring sport and its a game, fun for the dog. All of the bite work is done with a suite and not the skin. But I have to say, even with the training all fun, I always knew she had my back when I want walking or hiking alone or with the kids. Even in the house, I feel safe that if any one came in, even with out skin bite training, I am safe. They train easy and there are many things to train for protection with out skin biting.

I have also boarded my girls with out a problem, and done doggy day care with them and they came back alive and well.

They are a strong versatile breed and you are doing alot of good research. A gun and DS and no one will bother you :wtg:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Matt
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 am
Tell us about yourself: College Junior taking some time to read up and learn well in advance of owning my first personal dog.

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Matt »

Them keeping up with mountain biking is great, I love biking and I was hoping they'd be able to keep pace. Just curious, you live in CT? Also your dogs are beautiful. The nine year old is on the left in your signature, correct?
Matthew Durkin from New York
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I do live in CT. Thalie ,9yo is on the left looking smart and Sadie 15mo looking cute on the right. They are both very fast and Thalie just loves running on the trails with me, she gets mad when we stop. Its not rail trails where you can go full out, its single track.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: A hello from NY

Post by felixone123 »

Hello and welcome!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: A hello from NY

Post by alspyce »

Welcome
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Matt
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 am
Tell us about yourself: College Junior taking some time to read up and learn well in advance of owning my first personal dog.

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Matt »

Thank you. Wow, a lot of New Yorkers, I'm surprised.
Matthew Durkin from New York
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: A hello from NY

Post by alspyce »

Matt wrote:Thank you. Wow, a lot of New Yorkers, I'm surprised.
I think, counting yourself, there are only 4------but we're growing!!!
You're about 30 minutes from here.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Christie M »

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment and visit the User Control Panal and create a signature including your name. That will help everyone continue to know who they are talking to.

I only had a chance to watch the one video. Nice control - but very nice HANDLING. The dog wasn't planning to out after the second portion where he was given the bite. He is wearing an e-collar and you can hear him react to the stimulus when he doesn't out correctly. So although this is a nice dog in training, those are not complete off leash (or I guess, off correction collar) behaviors.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Matt
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 am
Tell us about yourself: College Junior taking some time to read up and learn well in advance of owning my first personal dog.

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Matt »

Sure thing. Signature should be updated now. And good eye on the e-collar. Very cool. Makes me sad that I'm a ways off from being able to start with my own pup. Well, just gives me more time to learn.

And Chris, I didn't realize how close you were, small world. If I may ask, where did you get Lyric from? (I think that's his or her name, right?)
Matthew Durkin from New York
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Marjolein »

welcome :)
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome :wave:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Matt
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 am
Tell us about yourself: College Junior taking some time to read up and learn well in advance of owning my first personal dog.

Re: A hello from NY

Post by Matt »

Thank you kindly!
Matthew Durkin from New York
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: A hello from NY

Post by alspyce »

Lyric came from NC, by way of WV.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Post Reply