Page 1 of 1
Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:06 pm
by ChristineJ
Hi all. Just thought I'd say a quick hello. My husband and I adopted our pup in September from the Humane Society. People have told us he's a shepherd crossed with a great dane and many other things. After googling quite a bit, I'm pretty sure he's a Dutch Shepherd. He is a wonderful dog, full of energy and very protective of me especially.
Here's our beautiful boy Maverick

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:30 pm
by Christie M
Hello and welcome to the forum!
He certainly looks Dutch to me. Thank you for rescuing and saving a life! We would love to hear all about your guy's adventures! I love that second picture.
Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:57 pm
by vneerland
Welcome!
Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:26 pm
by alspyce

Welcome!
Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:30 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome!
Maverick is beautiful.

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:49 pm
by ChristineJ
Thanks guys and gals. We decided on adopting a dog when my husband started with his military training and was going to be away for almost 6 months (he comes back today). The first time we went to the humane society we met with a small shepherd cross that was a little too hyper but very sweet. Maverick was in the holding area that we couldn't go into because he was a new rescue. All we saw was his right ear and eye, he was watching us very closely. The next day I went to the website and saw him on there as up for adoption, so we went straight over and met him. We took him for a nice walk and spent some time with him, we knew he was our dog pretty much right away. He was already partly trained and learned his new name very quickly. He was pretty timid at first and still is a little shy of loud noises but he's getting better and better every day. He has separation anxiety, so I feel bad when I have to leave him to go to work but he's always very happy to see me home. He's a pretty awesome dog

We have a baby on the way and we've had Maverick around other babies and kids and he is just perfect with them, so we know he'll be good with our new addition in June. I posted a couple more pics in the pic forum for everyone to see. Thanks again for the welcomes.
Oh and that second pic is of his headless duck, he seemed to think it made a better toy without the head, haha.
Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:06 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome!
Looks like a DS to me, lucky you!
Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:26 pm
by Choochi
Welcome!

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:23 am
by Schlussdibusti
ChristineJ wrote:Oh and that second pic is of his headless duck, he seemed to think it made a better toy without the head, haha.
Marco totally agrees, duck without head = better toy

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:47 pm
by lincoln_16
Where abouts in Ontario are you if you dont mind me asking? I am in Niagara Falls and that kinda looks like a dog the spca here had for adoption. I emailed them to let them know they had a dutch shepherd on their hands, not a GSD mixed with Dane and they blew me off...they did this to me again when they had a Malinois listed as a Shepherd lab mix... I was pretty interested in him myself if its even the same dog
Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:34 pm
by felixone123
welcome!! He is a beautiful boy!!
Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:55 pm
by lincoln_16
I must of accidentally erased my welcome part :S
Welcome to the forum

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 pm
by ChristineJ
lincoln_16 wrote:Where abouts in Ontario are you if you dont mind me asking? I am in Niagara Falls and that kinda looks like a dog the spca here had for adoption. I emailed them to let them know they had a dutch shepherd on their hands, not a GSD mixed with Dane and they blew me off...they did this to me again when they had a Malinois listed as a Shepherd lab mix... I was pretty interested in him myself if its even the same dog
I'm in Kitchener. I hear that the spca and humane society always just says dogs are mixed and then many times they actually happen to be a full breed of some sort. Sure would have been a small world if you were in the same area looking at the same dog.
Thanks for all the welcomes folks

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:10 am
by lincoln_16
Here the spca charges almost double for dogs who are "purebred", I dont really agree with it but thats what they do.
Your not far from me tho

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm
by GSDNanny
Welcome Christine and Maverick! Nice looking boy you have there.
Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome! Handsome Maverick
