Hello from the Florida Keys...
-
Southernmost Dutch
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Retired firefighter/flight paramedic and now nursing student in the Florida Keys. I will be a proud owner of an eight week old Dutch in the next twelve days and counting. I have previously owned Dobermans, Rotts, and Retrievers in the past. I intend on training the Dutch in both protection work and SAR. I'm looking forward to gaining some insight on the breed through this forum to supplement my research.
Hello from the Florida Keys...
Hi Good People of DSF,
Expecting my first DS in less than two weeks. To say I'm excited would be this year's understatement. I'm psyched to have found this forum and will be surely utilizing it's knowledge base...
As soon as "Duke" arrives...you guys will be some of the first to know.
Kind regards,
Tony
Expecting my first DS in less than two weeks. To say I'm excited would be this year's understatement. I'm psyched to have found this forum and will be surely utilizing it's knowledge base...
As soon as "Duke" arrives...you guys will be some of the first to know.
Kind regards,
Tony
Tony & the "Duke of Delgado"
Southernmost Dutch, USA
Southernmost Dutch, USA
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
-
CaroleBoaz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
- Contact:
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from the Florida Keys...
Southernmost is right! I think most DS's are key-less. But yours sure won't be.
Welcome Tony and (soon) Duke.
Welcome Tony and (soon) Duke.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hello from the Florida Keys...
Welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- lisaanne
- Puppy
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
- Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
- Location: kenosha
Re: Hello from the Florida Keys...
The Keys are just about my favorite place in the US. I went there several times as a youngster and never forgot it....especially the second and third degree burns I received as a result of being in the direct sun for 10-12 hours a day without sunscreen....(being a fair skinned, freckly redhead doesn't help!) My eyes were blistered shut and I spent much of the 2 week vacation indoors... I'd love to go back...with sunscreen....and my dogs!
Best of luck with Duke, I bet you are so excited!
Best of luck with Duke, I bet you are so excited!
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan
Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan
Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
-
Southernmost Dutch
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Retired firefighter/flight paramedic and now nursing student in the Florida Keys. I will be a proud owner of an eight week old Dutch in the next twelve days and counting. I have previously owned Dobermans, Rotts, and Retrievers in the past. I intend on training the Dutch in both protection work and SAR. I'm looking forward to gaining some insight on the breed through this forum to supplement my research.
Re: Hello from the Florida Keys...
Well thanks Lisa, Chris, Eva, Judith, Carole, Barbara, and Sue. I’m looking forward to exchanging stories. Lisa, I feel your pain. I’ve lived in the Florida Keys for over 25 years and am originally from Chicago. Just the other day I used the last of the sunscreen on my twin seven year olds. Mine had come off in the Atlantic and they didn’t want to leave the reef. Four hours later without a hat or sunscreen...and I was cooked. The new skin is gradually coming back...lol.
Cher Car posted new pics today and some people get their pups Monday. I have to wait an extra week until my pup is eight weeks so that he can to fly.
I can hardly stand it I’m so excited.
Regards,
Tony
Cher Car posted new pics today and some people get their pups Monday. I have to wait an extra week until my pup is eight weeks so that he can to fly.
I can hardly stand it I’m so excited.
Regards,
Tony
Tony & the "Duke of Delgado"
Southernmost Dutch, USA
Southernmost Dutch, USA
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Hello from the Florida Keys...
I know the excitement you are feeling!! Our Odin is an adopted rescued dutch from NADSR and my husband and I thought we were going to go crazy waiting for him to get transported from MI to NYS. He arrived on Dec 27th and was the best Christmas gift ever!!
Wishing you all the best with your new guy and must post pics of him as he is growing up.
Wishing you all the best with your new guy and must post pics of him as he is growing up.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Hello from the Florida Keys...
Welcome, Tony! Dying to see pics of your pup, Duke. Been to the Keys before on a long vacation touring south Florida. Love the Keys, was so laid back and the fresh seafood was delicious!
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana


Facebook page.
