Page 1 of 1

Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:51 am
by whitingh
Hello; my name is Heather and our family was given a three-month old puppy last week who was being starved and abused in the home he was in. I was told that he was half Boxer and half German Shepherd. We went to visit my sister tonight who has been working with local dog rescue groups for many years. She took one look at him and said, "Dutch Shepherd." Soo looking at the photos on the internet, I think she is right. I'm still uncertain whether there is any mix in him, but he definitely has the characteristics of many DSs.

For those wondering, he has totally come out of his shell in the past week and has put on weight. He is a doll. Very sweet and smart. Love him to pieces already.

Although we have good dog instincts and past experience, I'm a little nervous seeing just how intelligent they are. I think I will probably have to enrol in a dog obedience course to help us help my six-year-old maintain dominance over the puppy and frankly, to fill in training knowledge that I'm missing. Because from what I've been reading, it sounds like if there is a loophole, these dogs will find it! :)

Anyway - super happy to find out he is a dutch shepherd and super happy to find this forum!

Happy to find it!Image

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:19 am
by Olie
Welcome and congrats on your sweet looking puppy!

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:25 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome and what a cute pup!

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 pm
by felixone123
welcome and glad you now have him. I have zero tolerance for anyone abusing any animal.
What a sweet cute face - what's his name?

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:26 pm
by alspyce
Welcome!! I agree, Boxer & Shepherd, but heck he's got beautiful stripes!

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:57 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Heather! What a cutie you have there...

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:50 am
by whitingh
Thanks for the welcome! He came with the name Shadow. It's not my first choice but he knew it really well and my boys really like it too. I guess the sock does look like he has that boxer in him. Not the worst combo I guess. They are good family dogs. Looking forward to finding some training tips and other chat on the forum.

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:47 am
by roxanne
Aww....what a cutie! Welcome! Everyone seems very nice and helpful here!

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:32 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Heather and shadow. Thank you for rescuing 8-)

Re: Hello from Ottawa Canada

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:56 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome, cute looking pup!!