Page 1 of 1
Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:32 am
by masonbates
Hi.
We adopted a puppy a month ago that I assumed was some sort of GS mixed breed. She was one of eight and all the siblings were identical, which I thought would be unusual for a mixed breed. When I brought her home, our Dutch neighbor said we had a Dutch Shepherd (never heard of one). We looked up pictures and some do look like her but I'm not so sure. Her ears are straight up but the tips flop.
Anyway, if someone could go to the following link:
http://www.loracarr.com/blog/ and if you scroll down below the new picture of the half naked woman (if that offends you, please don't click on the link) you will see pictures of Cookie. Any help in identifying would be great. We get so many questions about her - I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo. Seriously. I don't think those animals would be so easy to train.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
masonbates
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:01 am
by Taz
Hi
I would say it's a Dutch Shepherd
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:54 am
by Choochi
masonbates wrote:I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo. Seriously.
Based on that alone, YES! further confirmed by the picture

Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:40 am
by Olie
masonbates wrote:Hi.
We get so many questions about her - I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo.
Only a couple of hours after I adopted Olaf, we had a cable guy coming to our house to install..well, cable tv. When I opened the door for him, he said "Whats that?! A hyena?!?" That was the first comment I got for him ever. Later some people also said he looks like a hyena. But as time passes by, I see he looks more like an african wild dog
Nice puppy you got there! And he sure looks like a DS

Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:57 am
by Dutchringgirl
Choochi wrote:masonbates wrote:I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo. Seriously.
Based on that alone, YES! further confirmed by the picture

I second that!! Thalie has been called all of the above as well.
Where in Ct are you??? Im in Ct too!!
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:04 pm
by felixone123
adorable puppy and glad that you adopted!!
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 pm
by Lauren
Looks Dutchie to me! What a beautiful pup. I think her ear tips may be a bit floppy if she is teething and could stand straight as she gets older (but there are many others on this forum that could tell you better).
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:58 pm
by masonbates
Hi. Thank you for the replies and conformation on breed. Also, thank you for going to the link. I don't have any pictures of her yet but my sister is a photographer and posted pics she took during a hike we took.
I thought it was strange that at the adoption fair there would be eight puppies that all looked exactly alike. I didn't think that was normal for mixed breed litters. The other puppies from a different litter all looked different. Unfortunately the rescue group didn't know what kind of dog she was (that being said, my vet has never heard of a ds) and after reading about Dutch Shepherds, I have to say I got a bit intimidated. Though she is very good. My trainer thinks she is great and she hasn't chewed anything, etc. She nipped a bit at first but I put a stop to that. My kids feed her and she waits until the command to go to her dish. She is great on the leash and we've already taught her a few tricks. She is currently passed out after almost two hours in the dog park.
I'm in Southern CT - near Stamford. Any suggestions would be great. I'm a complete DS newbie.
Thanks
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:55 pm
by Sugars Mom
Congrats on your new pup, and welcome to the forum!!
I agree with the others, sure looks like a (gorgeous!) DS, and yup, I get all the same comments with hyena, etc...in fact we didn't know what we had when we got ours from a mixed litter, and thats what we joked about with what she was. But in our case, Sugar was the only one that looked like her. Never heard of a DS either when we got her.
Anyway, super smart dogs, and I think you are lucky to have found her. Look forward to hearing stories and seeing more pics!
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:11 pm
by vneerland
Welcome to the forum person from CT with Dutch Shepherd Cookie.
Tell us a little more about yourself? Name, gender, that kind of stuff? If you could go to your user panel and create a 'signature' then we don't have to keep wondering who you are.

Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:39 pm
by Dutchringgirl
We are really close!! Im in Southbury. I dont have a trainer, I do the training, *cough* myself. I keep thinking of looking for another Ring trainer but then time goes by and ... well you know.
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 am
by leih merigian
Wow...your sister is a great photographer, and you have a very nice looking pup.
Used to live in Rowayton, not so far from you.
Have fun with Cookie!
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 am
by Sugars Mom
Looking at the pics again, I noticed Cookie has the same kind of stripe going down his leg as Sugar has.
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:43 pm
by masonbates
Hi. I brought in a trainer as I'm not sure I am an "experienced" dog owner. I never really know what that means. Anyway, it was worth it for me, it reinforced the fact that I need to be the alpha.
Rowayton is just five minutes away. They have a new dog park but the one in New Canaan, CT is really nice.
If anyone knows of anyone who is interested, one puppy from her litter is still in a foster home. I listed it under Rescues. I don't know if he is being fostered in CT or PA. His name is Holt and it is through Trails of Courage.
http://tailsofcourage.org/
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:49 pm
by Christie M
Just a reminder about creating a signature that includes your name. With so many new folks, its hard to keep track

Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:57 pm
by Marjolein
welcome
