Page 1 of 1

Hello from PA!

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:50 pm
by lamie44
I'm new to the Dutch Shepherd forum, but not the Dutch Shepherd:) We have a 9 yo female Dutch Shepherd named Kali (pic below) and are so in love with the breed that we are currently looking for a reputable breeder to give her a "sister". We've been researching online, but any recommendations would be most appreciated!
Kali
Kali
Kali5.JPG (468.54 KiB) Viewed 17348 times

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 pm
by felixone123
wow - she is beautiful and welcome!!

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:38 am
by leih merigian
Welcome...and I second that...she's beautiful!

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:52 pm
by alspyce
Welcome! Kali is a real looker----where is she from?

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:38 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Welcome! Very pretty girl!

What are you looking for in your new puppy? That would help us recommend breeders.

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:28 pm
by lamie44
Thank you everyone for the nice welcome! A little more background on me & the family- we originally got Kali from a breeder in California, OJ Knighten. Kali was being trained for police work and I believe her temperment was too friendly for that work, so he was looking for a family to place her with. I suppose we got incredibly lucky on the timing. We got Kali at ~3 months and she joined us in downtown Philly where my husband and I lived. We had Kali for about 4 years before the birth of our first daughter and we are so amazed at how well Kali has responded to a new family member. We have since moved out to the suburbs and I joke that we bought our house specifically for Kali- it has a great open, flat backyard that we can play with her in. I don't fear her running off, but I do find it amusing she can clear (i.e. jump!) the split-rail fence in the back... Also, it's a great yard for her frisbee skills- clearly her favorite thing to do besides cuddling with her family. We've since had another daughter who turns 2 today:) So, our family consists of a husband & wife with 1 dog & 2 daughters (ages 2 & 5). Thanks for reading on the background, as in our search for a new DS puppy, we are clearly looking for a family dog who can become part of our family. Also, I would not describe Kali as an alpha female, hence our looking for a female puppy.

Below is the 2 yo playing frisbee with Kali- absolutely amazing how gentle Kali is with her- we LOVE her (both hers)!
Kali7.JPG
Kali7.JPG (392.37 KiB) Viewed 17329 times

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:31 pm
by CaroleBoaz
What a cute picture! Yes, they are quite good at jumping!

Have you considered a long-hair or rough-hair. They are all very good with children, and there will probably be some litters within the next year. Some rough-hair puppies were born recently, but only 2, so I expect they are both spoken for.

Here are some photos of the different dogs, and some with kids.

http://clgoetz.8m.com/rescue/

Sorry, some of the photos are rather large. The web page was set up for voting purposes.

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:54 pm
by lamie44
Carole,
Thank you for the link & reply- BEAUTIFUL dogs! I think our preference is for a short-haired DS (I feel some days we could collect enough of Kali's fur in our house to make another puppy though!). Also, we're quite eager to get a puppy this summer, if possible. But...we want to make sure we get the right dog, so she's the worth the wait if we have to.

Thanks again,
Amy

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:02 pm
by CaroleBoaz
It's good to be patient and find the right dog. I was looking for two years before I finally got Boaz from The Netherlands. He's a sweetheart!

Of course, he's shedding right now, but he normally sheds very little, just in the spring and fall. I use a shedding blade during those times and it's amazing what comes off of him.

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Dual-Shedd ... B004LOBKIW

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:58 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome! Nice looking dog :)

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:45 am
by Dutchringgirl
welcome, she is beautiful!!!!

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:22 pm
by k9katet
Hi Amy,

I think Asheley might have a pup or two left from her N litter (Vrijheid’s Borius x Rommel’s Krumel) that are still available. And females. :) She is a great breeder. Both of my girls are from her (A and H litters). I'm not sure if that litter would produce some pet dogs but contact her and she what she has and tell her what you are looking for and she'll tell you if she thinks either pup would be a good match for your home.

http://www.dutchshepherds.us

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:46 pm
by GSDNanny
Welcome and Wow! Kali is a real looker, gorgeous DS. Good luck in your quest for a pup.

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 pm
by Olie
Welcome! Kali is very cute!

Re: Hello from PA!

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 pm
by Christie M
k9katet wrote:Hi Amy,

I think Asheley might have a pup or two left from her N litter (Vrijheid’s Borius x Rommel’s Krumel) that are still available. And females. :) She is a great breeder. Both of my girls are from her (A and H litters). I'm not sure if that litter would produce some pet dogs but contact her and she what she has and tell her what you are looking for and she'll tell you if she thinks either pup would be a good match for your home.

http://www.dutchshepherds.us
Ditto what Heather said!! Ash works hard and breeds stable dogs of exceptional temperament. She also is meticulous about her health standards. There are very few breeders I recommend here, and most haven't had a litter in a few years - because they are breeding for a purpose instead of a dollar.

If you are looking soon, contact Asheley Winters at www.dutchshepherds.us. If you are looking for a pup later this year, that may open up some other options.

Also, take a moment to go through some back threads about breeding. It will be insightful on who to avoid.