Page 1 of 1

Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:19 pm
by Nisa
Hi everyone!

I've been familiar with this forum for about a month now, but have only just now registered. I've been introduced to the Dutch Shepherd breed about a year ago, and have put a lot of time and research into making sure this is the breed I wanted to find my next canine companion from. I still have a lot to learn, and many questions to ask! I'm greatful for this resourceful community, and hope that I can learn much from all of you, as well as enjoy the company of others who are so passionate about their DS's.

About me: I currently reside in Oregon, in the Willamette Valley, and prior to this I have been studying outside the country for 10 years (5 yrs Canada, 5 yrs Norway). I've returned to the US in late 2009, and it seems like so much has changed! Currently, I'm a post-bacc student (already have a Bachelor's degree in Circumpolar Studies) studying towards a 2nd degree in Marine Biology, after which I plan to combine them in further graduate studies. I'm an avid hiker and beach comber, and I also enjoy scuba. I love to draw and oil paint animals and landscapes, and I have taken a few courses in photography as well.

My future plans as regards DS's: I am still in the learning stages, but I have always wanted to become involved in SAR and hope that the DS breed would make an ideal SAR candidate (based on the individual puppy's temperament, drive, stability, etc.). It's a long-time commitment to begin, take part in, and finish SAR Tech training, but it's something I've decided I really want to do, as long as my prospective DS that I may end up choosing one day, is also a good candidate. I really want to contribute in a positive way, and this seems up my alley with hard work, rough terrain, and the possibility of saving lives.

If I end up getting a DS that doesn't seem to mesh with the SAR program, I have already accepted that there are so many other happy alternatives that I'm perfectly ok with that.

I hope to learn: ANYTHING and EVERYTHING DS!! Both good and bad (though I don't think "bad" is ever an appropriate term I'd use). Whether or not they make ideal SAR candidates in general, and if anyone has experience with a DS in SAR work. What's the best food? What are the most common health problems, and what are the general characteristics that owners find would be helpful for new prospective DS owners to know about?

Phew... I'm asking a lot, I know. But I think that committing to a life long decision is not for the birds, and I intend to take this seriously.

So, without further ado... POST ON! :)

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:52 pm
by felixone123
hi and welcome!! Best place to be if you ask me :lol:

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:43 pm
by LyonsFamily
Welcome! There are a lot of questions, so you may want to split it up into seperate threads. There's a really long thread about food in the feeding section that may help you out as well. Personally, I think the best food is Raw, but if you're looking for a kibble, Orijen. My DS eats Orijen now, but we may go back to Raw some day.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, and what a great intro!

One thing you may want to consider is using the search function at the upper right area of the screen here; you'll find a lot of threats that cover most of what you're interested in. I'm sure others will be happy to address some of your questions, but depending on how eager you are, the search function will get you a lot.

You sure sound like a very likely DS kind of person. Some DS excell in SAR; as you say, it depends on the nature of the dog with whom you end up matched. I'm going to misspell her name, but Deb Krintsch runs SAR dogs and has a Yahoo DS group, so you may want to check that out, too (there are only a couple of yahoo DS groups, so it should be easy to find). I'm not sure if she's a member here; Christy will be along to tell you.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:55 am
by alspyce
Welcome!
You'll probably get hooked on this breed like we all have! Lots of great, knowledgeable people here, and the only ones who seem to bite are the dogs!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:43 am
by Nisa
Thanks for the greets!

I won't be evil and type another novel, so I'll try to keep my posts short in the future. :) Thanks for the tips to check other parts of the forum, such an obvious necessity that I don't think about it! I'll make sure I make good use of the info there.

My SAR instructor says I need a puppy between 8 months to a year in order to begin SAR training, but if I find one younger then I can focus on basic obedience, potty training, and daily bouts of extended exercise in the mean time. I know that from having a Border Collie before, my challenge will be to keep this breed mentally stimulated on a frequent basis.

Again thanks for the welcome! I'm going to dig around the other forum areas now... :P

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:17 pm
by MeganBays
Hi Nisa :)

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:19 pm
by Nisa
Hey Megan! Funny seeing you here. :lol:

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm
by icvanstra
Welcome!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:28 pm
by pdlucky
Welcome! I live in Newberg, OR so we might be neighbors. There is a ton of info on this site and it sounds to me like you have already fallen in love with the breed like the rest of us!

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:32 am
by Nisa
Hi! I'm about an hour south of you then, in Albany. I was wondering about other dutchie owners here in Oregon. :)

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 am
by Drizlaru
Welcome Nisa. :ds:

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:23 am
by Brindle
Hi Nisa,
I'm an hour and a half south of you :)
Not on the forum much ( too busy training my brindle monster LOL !!! )
Welcome to the forum and all the fun.
You're more than welcome to meet me and my DS "Force". Would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I don't have experience with SAR but my guy has an AMAZING nose. We do a lot of tracking ( Schutzhund ) and are now doing NoseWork too.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:46 am
by Brindle
Hi Nissa,
Well , just found out I'm only about an hour south of you :oops:
Drove I5 to Portland today and realized my travel estimate was a little off.
I train in Springfield a couple of times a week, so that's "about" 35 to 40 mins from you if you want to see a DS in action and chat sometime :D
Feel free to PM me for more details if you like.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:10 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Nisa.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:37 pm
by Frenchie85
Hi Nisa!

Welcome to my world! I've been lurking around this forum to learn more about DS and to figure out if a DS should be my next working partner in SAR.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 pm
by vneerland
Frenchie85 wrote:I've been lurking around this forum to learn more about DS and to figure out if a DS should be my next working partner in SAR.
Or COURSE it should! ;)
They can do very well, if you select the right candidate with the right factory installed drives. I know I have some DS's that were Fema certificied, working urban and wilderness SAR for Monterey county, CA, with some real finds. And Deb Krsnich, Foxtal training in Wisconsin, has Fema certified brindles too. I do believe that the endurance that one can expect out of a fit DS is a true plus over more traditional choices, like a GSD, but of course, all dogs are individuals, and no one size fits all.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:02 am
by Marjolein
Welcome :D