Page 1 of 1
Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:09 am
by JasonHavens
Hello all,
My name is Jason. I live in Ohio (US). I was a regular 'ol police officer for a small local Police Dept. and I liked my job up until 1 1/2 yrs ago. That's when I met a 2 yr old female that changed my life. This 2 yr old moved into my place and started working with me and causing misery for many she came in contact with. She even made some stop leaving their homes while she was working (I know that for fact). She is now going on 3 1/2 and continues to be a nuisance for a select few. I no longer like my job, I love it. That 3 1/2 yr old is Dexi, she is a 53lb, 4 legged bundle of energy that goes non-stop from dawn to dusk (to be honest in the dark as well). If I don't feel up to dealing w/ the day to day numb-skulls, she is quick to get me up to the task. She is awesome and I look forward to many years w/ my girl.
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:20 am
by MeganBays
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:29 am
by Dutchringgirl
Hey Jason. Yeah, these girls will do it to ya!!!!
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:34 am
by Christie M
What a great intro!!!
Thanks for joining!! Tell us more about Dexi. Do you know where she originated from? Where in Ohio are you at? I lived in MI my whole life, but moved to TN 4 12 years ago. I still visit Ohio to train and judge quite a bit.
Of course, we all would love pictures!
If you can, please take a moment and visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. It helps us keep all you Ohio State people identified.......I mean, it helps us keep everyone straight

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:54 am
by MeganBays
Bc Jason refuses to take any good pics of her, despite his supposed mad camera skills...
You can see more about Dexi here:
http://www.kolemountainkennels.com/libe ... esdexi.htm
And more pics here:
http://www.kolemountainkennels.com/apps/photos/
And more video here:
http://www.kolemountainkennels.com/apps/videos/
Hopefully she'll be having a date with either Bor or Reppie sometime soon.......

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 am
by MeganBays
Some of my fav old pics of her...
IMG_1289 by
MeganBays, on Flickr
IMG_2875 by
MeganBays, on Flickr
IMG_2777 by
MeganBays, on Flickr
IMG_2780 by
MeganBays, on Flickr
Ok... I'll quit taking over your thread now... I'm just proud of my girl!

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:33 am
by Christie M
MeganBays wrote:Some of my fav old pics of her...
Ok... I'll quit taking over your thread now... I'm just proud of my girl!

Megan - is she single purpose just because that is what the department wanted out of her?
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:48 am
by Choochi
hehe I almost bought that dog when I first starred looking for a Dutchie
Cool intro! Welcome to the brindle board!
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:07 am
by MeganBays
Christie M wrote:MeganBays wrote:Some of my fav old pics of her...
Ok... I'll quit taking over your thread now... I'm just proud of my girl!

Megan - is she single purpose just because that is what the department wanted out of her?
She's single purpose bc that's all we sold her as. We sold her as a finished dog, and her bite work wasn't done. She would have made a kick ass French Ring dog! Jason has done an awesome job with her. They are a great team and I'm so proud

.
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:08 am
by MeganBays
Choochi wrote:hehe I almost bought that dog when I first starred looking for a Dutchie
Cool intro! Welcome to the brindle board!
If I remember right you didn't go with her bc you wanted a bigger dog... Heehee...

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 am
by Christie M
MeganBays wrote:
She's single purpose bc that's all we sold her as. We sold her as a finished dog, and her bite work wasn't done. She would have made a kick ass French Ring dog! Jason has done an awesome job with her. They are a great team and I'm so proud

.
Got it. We have many departments around here who don't want to deal with the management of a full patrol dog, so they end up being under utilized to their full potential. Its good to know when you have the full package! Awesome that you were the one who brought her up!
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 am
by JasonHavens
As Megan said, Dexi is certified as single purpose. However she can do it all rather well. When we train I work on narcs primarily but when I have willing participants Dexi (or "skinny" as I call her quite often) will track/trail, building search, protect my butt or whatever I ask of her. When I am able to finish her out I intend on certifying her for patrol as well.
On a different note a little back patting is in order...For those of you who already know Megan you are very fortunate. If you don't know her then get to know her. She is a great person to know and has been more than willing to help me through my and Dexi's growing pains we have had together.
Christie, I'm gonna get that signature thing taken care of before I post anything else. Thanks for having me.
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:36 pm
by Choochi
MeganBays wrote:Choochi wrote:hehe I almost bought that dog when I first starred looking for a Dutchie
Cool intro! Welcome to the brindle board!
If I remember right you didn't go with her bc you wanted a bigger dog... Heehee...

lol ya didn't quite work out that way! but at least I got puppy breath for a few weeks!
Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:03 am
by MeganBays
It takes a village, and we definitely had one with Dexi. Our friend Barry did an awesome job finishing Dexi's narc training and giving Jason a handler's course to get them off on the right foot

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:24 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 pm
by GSDNanny
Welcome Jason and Dexi! One of the best intro's yet. Glad Megan hyjacked your thread to post photos.
