Page 1 of 1

Hello from Texas

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 pm
by raven07
Moved to DFW area recently and interested in getting a Dutch Shepherd. Not interested in showing just want a pet, something to be my active buddy on my horse farm and going to horse shows as well as hiking and agility for fun. Just trying to find out more about the breed, admire them for their intelligence. Had a Rottweiler for 13 years who passed from old age recently. Feel that another Rottweiler would not do well here in the Texas heat.Also wondering how Dutch Shepherds do in fenced yards after watching videos of them being able to go over any obstacle? Or do you stay outside with them while you let them out?

Re: Hello from Texas

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:07 pm
by icvanstra
Welcome to the forum Joanna!

Keeping your dog in the yard I think is more of an individual issue than breed.

Cino is more than capable of leaping over the fence and not touch it ... but he doesn't. His preference is to squeeze through the space between the gate pole and the garage.

I'm drawing a blank on the rescue's name, but she would leap my fence run into the neighbors yard and then scale their neighbors six foot fence.

Other rescues were super content to just chill in the back yard.

Re: Hello from Texas

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:32 am
by jjohnsice
My dutch jsut became a neighborhood dog, would never stay in the fence, but she got along so well with everyone nobody complained.. in fact she would door knock and vist with our neighbor friends on her own.. i sure miss my baby girl.

Re: Hello from Texas

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:08 am
by raven07
I am just worried because I live in a ranching community so people tend to shoot dogs that are loose unfortunately because they are worried about their livestock. I guess just something I would have to keep a watch on when not in the house.

Re: Hello from Texas

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:22 pm
by vneerland
raven07 wrote:I am just worried because I live in a ranching community so people tend to shoot dogs that are loose unfortunately because they are worried about their livestock. I guess just something I would have to keep a watch on when not in the house.
Welcome Johanna.
I do not believe in letting dogs just hang around and if they stay in the yard, great, if not oops. That's too rural a way of thinking for me, even though I do live in the (TX) sticks. Way too many thing for a high drive dog to be able to get into. I would shudder to think what many of mine would do if someone kicked at them, wanting to run them off. I feel confident my liability insurance would not cover the results. :shock:
So, I keep an eye on them, even the old pro's who make excellent companions in a loose setting. Nobody gets allowed to roam with me not out there as well, and I see no reason for them to either. I maintain control, by means of adequately fenced enclosure or my presence, and me counting noses too, calling the ones that may have strayed off even when I walk them (loose) in the woods.

Re: Hello from Texas

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:34 pm
by vneerland
jjohnsice wrote:My dutch jsut became a neighborhood dog, would never stay in the fence, but she got along so well with everyone nobody complained.. in fact she would door knock and vist with our neighbor friends on her own.. i sure miss my baby girl.
JJohn. I don't believe you have introduced yourself yet? Would you be kind enough to do so in a new subject in this new member section?

Re: Hello from Texas

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:12 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome :dssmile:

Re: Hello from Texas

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:36 pm
by alspyce
Welcome.
I believe that leashes, fences, and training make for good neighbor relationships.
Most good breeders are going to ask if you have a secure yard, and I believe the rescue folks also require it.

Re: Hello from Texas

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 pm
by leih merigian
Welcome, and I have to vote with those who believe in supervising their dogs. Stray dogs that show up on my property is one of my pet peeves :twisted: ...and I'd never leave my dog up to any kind of chance.

I used to know a woman in TN who had a bunch of dogs, all untrained hooligans. They were allowed free range on her large rural property. When one of them would get hit on the road (two lane highway, with 55 MPH speed limit), she'd get pissed at the drivers, not her dogs or herself. She'd even put signs up telling people to slow down and not hit her dogs. :yernuts: