Page 1 of 1

Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 pm
by wildyamms
Hi All,

I've been browsing this forum every now and then for the past three months, and decided that I have nothing to lose by joining. I recently rescued my lil guy, Zeppelin, from a high kill shelter in South Carolina. He was 12 weeks old, had worms and mange, and didn't even weigh 10 pounds. I'm happy to report that he is now a very happy and very healthy 6 month old. Anyway, because I literally picked him up from the kill shelter where he only had an ID#, I really don't know a lot about him. The vet says he's almost positive that he's mainly Dutch, but he says there could be a mix due to his size (although I think he's on track with the growth of a Dutch Shepherd). So I just have questions and want to learn about the breed and get feedback on my lil man. I suppose that's all. Thanks for providing this forum, and thanks in advance for any tips/advice you guys may provide!

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:36 am
by felixone123
welcome!! thanks for saving your boy. Post some pics so we can see :angel:

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:24 am
by Dutchringgirl
Thanks for saving a life ! Welome and yes.......we need pictures.

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 am
by wildyamms
Here's the lil man, Zeppelin!

This was taken after treatment for worms & mange:
Image

He loves the car..
Image

When we first noticed his flipped out fur
Image

Playing at the dog park
Image

Guarding the house
Image

The day my ears finally stood up
Image

King of the couch
Image

And a close-up
Image

I haven't had the chance to upload any recent photos, but he just turned 6 months. He's 40 pounds and 22 inches in height (haven't measured length yet). Seems to be on track with a Dutch, although he is extremely slender; there's not a bit of muscle on this guy as of yet. But that's my lil cutie. Not sure what else he could be, vet suggested whippet, but I don't see it.

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:24 pm
by TexasMedy
He's a good looking boy. And such expressive eyes! he looks very Dutch Shepherd to me. Thanks for rescuing him. He's a lucky guy.

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:17 pm
by Sugars Mom
Awww, he is soooo cute!

Welcome to the forum :cool:

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:19 am
by felixone123
love the day his ears stood up pic!!!

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:51 am
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome and thanks for saving a life!

WHIPPET??? :shock: Looks very Dutch to me.

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 pm
by Marjolein
welcome!
Nice looking dog! Love the ears :)
The white on the mouth throws me off a bit, shepherd with akita? I see no mask... that is what is confusing me, as long as he is a nice dog, no problems :D

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:50 pm
by wildyamms
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to upload some more pics in a few (I've noticed you guys love being spammed with pics lol :D ) . He's definitely a great dog, extremely intelligent, eager to please, and an overall love bug...not to mention, absolutely adorable! Also, we recently visited the vet's office, and he informed me that he believes the shelter in SC fudged his age. He determined this based on his teeth; he's estimating that Zeppelin is somewhere between 4 and 5 months.

I think I'll head to the general discussion area to post pics, to get opinions on what exactly my lil man is. As far as I can tell, he's only missing the black mask and ears (but they stand up every now and again, so I'm sure they'll be up in due time).

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 pm
by jjohnsice
i wouldn't trade that dog for a million dollars.... you have had the good fortune of having adopted one the greatest treasures you will ever know in life.. lucky you.