Page 1 of 1

First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:59 pm
by Childsey1
Hi
My name is Paul from the uk.
I'm the proud owner of a Dutch herder female pup who is now 18 weeks old.
Amber had joined my pack which consist of a neo x American bulldog bitch who is nearly 8, a male Boerboel who is 5 next month. So far she has fitted in well. Not sure how much false exercise she can have a day? My goal with her is iPo. I've only had her two weeks tomorrow
Paul

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:00 pm
by johninny
Hi Paul. Welcome. It sounds like you have a great canine household!

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:34 pm
by Childsey1
Thank you, they are good dogs, Tara my bitch is a rescue dog, bred for fighting,I won her over a game of pool on her second b day, she was very dog aggressive, which took me 2 yrs to sort put. Oscar my Boerboel is the first ever dog I've had as a pup, well he turns heads where ever he goes, never ever bitten a dog in his life, his so good. Well amber !! She is on fire!! I'm still going through our 30 day aprox bonding before I put her through vigorous training.
I've checked out your profile, you mentioned and correct me if I'm wrong, you have rescued a Mali and a ds ??
Trace dog turned out to be a ds?? How do you find them?

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm
by alspyce
Welcome!

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:29 am
by leih merigian
Hi Paul, and congrats on your new DS addition!
Childsey1 wrote:Not sure how much false exercise she can have a day? My goal with her is iPo.
What is false exercise?

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:58 am
by johninny
Tracedog was picked up by nyc police near my house in manhattan; i spotted him from afar, recognizing greater intelligence than i had ever seen in a dog; so i took him before he could be sent to the pound [where he would have been killed 24 hours later]. i knew nothing of the breed; i thought he was a fluke. he was, it turns out, a DS with a slight mix of something else, but his structure, size at 70#, personality, perseverance, protectiveness, agility, courage, analytical abilities and attachment to a single human were all 100% DS. so, yes, he was a rescue. my one and only dog, he died of a very rare liver cancer in july this year.
i have never had a Mal, but hope i will foster one soon. i did foster another DS [full breed] for a month in late summer who was rescued by NADSR from imminent death in a maryland pound. after TD died i signed up with naDSR and ABMalCR to be a foster home - something i think MANY people on this site do to help these noble dogs and to keep them from death or the destructive atmosphere of a pound. in addition to TD's youtube channel that i posted with my profile, my foster DS - now happily adopted by a couple and their MAL - has his own channel: http://www.youtube.com/caindoginny
you will find a different kind of and higher level of intelligence in your DS - even as a pup - that requires gentle guidance over harsh correction to get the enthusiastic, loyal, fast-learner response for which the DS is known. Good Luck with your new Pup.

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:27 am
by Raven
I can't help but ask about the pool game in which you won her. I don't want to ask any leading questions, but you offered the information--yet please don't think I have per-conceived notions. It's a curious thing, is all.

So...she was "bred for fighting" and it took you a long time to get beyond her DA. But was the dog's reaction to other dogs fear or fight-mode? How did you overcome it and what fall-out are you living with now?

And, yes...welcome! :D

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:25 pm
by Childsey1
Leigh,
False exercise is lead work, taking them our for walks, this is when the dog has no choice but to walk with his or her handler.
Free excise is normally when the dogs are at home, where they can play as along as they like but when they are tired they can rest.
With my Boerboel I was only allowed to walk him 5min to every month of his age until he was 12months but he can as much as he wants of free exercise

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:49 pm
by MeganBays
Hey Paul ;)

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 pm
by Childsey1
Raven,
No worries!!
I've always rescued dogs in the past, I was told about Tara from friend of a friend. She needed a home for 2 months while her owner went back to India to see family. I agreed to meet Tara, when I turned up she was in a tiny room living on scraps, I fell in love with her. I agreed to look after her and we went to a local bar for a drink, we played a game of pool, owner said " you win you can keep her" well it will be 7yrs this jan 2013 I've had her.
Her breeder was trying to breed a new type of fighting dog, she was the runt of the litter, she went to an Indian family and then on her 1st b day she went to another Indian family, where she was taught to bark at any passing dogs, not sure if she had been fighting,there was no scars to say she had just a few scraps!!
First thing I done is taught her the English language and back to basic ob. She was very dominant and dog aggressive not fear but fight, as this was not a innate behavior it was trained so it can be untrained, by redirecting her attention onto me. She is very good now, she don't take any stick from dogs, so I have to give her the no command at the right time and she will walk away.
I made the mistake walking my Boerboel with Tara when he was a pup now he has developed fear aggression towards strange dogs, his 5 next month and never bitten a dog but will bark at strange dogs until I say it's ok and then he wants to play.
I not making the same mistake with amber, i take her out on her own during the day and at night when no one is around she walks with the pack.

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:21 pm
by Childsey1
Hey Megan,
Hope you got the photo of amber ??
I was hoping to find a uk ds forum, wanting to meet ds handlers in the uk,
A lot of Mali but not much ds at this mo.
it's Amber's 2nd ob class tomorrow. Still trying work out her barking at every dog she sees ?? When she is off the lead she goes up to them when close, no problems just play, she won't run up to dogs that are too far away which is good. Not good with horses, there is 10 on my fields which I need to fence off, she goes wild!! That will soon stop, jake loves her, he says "amber sit amber sit" but from a 18month old boy it sound like amber s...t instead of sit lol

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:31 pm
by Childsey1
Johninny,
I did try and look to foster a ds but it's hard, I only know of 2 breeders in the uk certainly don't know of any ds needing a home. Fair play to you, I think you sometimes get a better companion from a rescue dog.
Ds are so quick at learning! My mastiff are very intelligent but so stubborn at times just hope I don't get lazy with Amber's training seeing how quick she learns

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:36 pm
by MeganBays
No I didn't get the pic :(

Kole did the same as Jake forever haha.

Re: First time Dutch herder owner

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07 am
by Christie M
Welcome to the group Paul!!

What a story! Wow. She is so lucky to have found herself in your home!!

Please take a moment and visit the User Control Panel to create a signature with your name. It just helps folks like me keep everyone straight!

We would love pictures here too!!