Page 1 of 1

New to the forums.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:19 am
by 101N
Hi I just adopted a puppy from the city shelter about a month ago. The people there said she was some kind of mastiff mix (probably because of the brindle coloring) but aside from her fur she looks absolutely nothing like any mastiff I've ever seen. I had never heard of a dutch shepherd until the other night but people kept telling me she looked like some kind of shepherd because of her ears. I looked up pictures of shepherd breed dogs last night on the internet and found pictures of dutch shepherds and she looks very similar to them. I also read that they are extremely intelligent and this dog had almost all of her basic commands down within a matter of two days. Furthermore, she is almost impossible to tire out and can be extremely stubborn when she chooses to be.

I was just wondering based on her picture whether she might be some kind of dutch shepherd mix? Thanks so much =)

Re: New to the forums.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:38 am
by LyonsFamily
She could possibly be a Dutch mix, but it's hard to tell from that picture alone. Those ears look huge! and floppy, but it might be because she's upside down. Can you get a standing shot and a good profile of her head?

Re: New to the forums.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 pm
by felixone123
welcome!! She does look dutch - and yes, a standing pic could help. Thank you for getting her out of a shelter.
how old?

Re: New to the forums.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:05 pm
by 101N
Thanks for the quick replies =) She actually did start off with completely floppy ears kind of like a lab when we first got her (I have a picture which I posted) and at that point she didn't really look like a shepherd at all to me. Then, it seemed like overnight her ears started sticking up and that's when we noticed that yes they are absolutely gigantic! We also noticed she has a black face mask and recently her muzzle seems to be getting longer.

Right now her ears are in this kind of weird stage. Sometimes they're both up, sometimes they kind of fall over to the side, sometimes the tips flop over and sometimes one is completely up while the other is down. According to the shelter she is about 4.5 to 5 months right now but because she came in as a stray almost nothing is known about her.

Unfortunately I realized I don't have any standing pictures of her but I did post some more recent photos of her at least upright and sitting down.

Re: New to the forums.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 pm
by wahinelf
She's adorable, congrats.

Love the first pic you posted, looks really DS-ey to me, the flop makes me think mix though - I'm sure a lot of folks on the forum know more about ear standing up timing though.

Super cute!

Re: New to the forums.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:45 pm
by Marjolein
what a cute dog!
Hard to tell breed she is.
When I saw the ear shape in the first pic, they are rounded at the tip, not pointy, so I thought it wasn't DS. But the following pics...could be.
I am sure tho, that it is a ver cute looking pup! 8-)

Re: New to the forums.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Very cute! Thanks for rescueing. Time will tell about the ear thing.

Re: New to the forums.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:57 am
by vneerland
Welcome Anceline and Misty (?) Thank you for rescueing!
I don't see Mastiff at all. Maybe a dash of dane, since those are large (shaped) ears for a DS, but who knows?

Re: New to the forums.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:31 am
by leih merigian
Welcome! Very cute doggie!