Page 1 of 1
Hi from Arizona!
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:57 am
by Gemkatz

This is Emma and we live in Arizona.

Emma is almost 4 years old and I got her when she was just about a year old. She loves to run and bounce around (like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh) - then she goes for my knees. This dog is really quite beguiling. I have had an extremely rough time trying to teach her the leash. No matter what I do, as soon the leash is on, boom - instant locomotive. But boy, does she love to jump and climb - onto boulders, up embankments, anywhere I tell her to climb. And she loves the water - as long as it doesn't come from the hose.
I have tried everything within my means and physical capability to teach things to her correctly, but I truly don't see the light come on in her eyes. Emma is a super sweetheart, but I need to bring her down a notch or two so that we are able to enjoy more of each other's company. There are bad habits to be broken; the first one being that she believes she is my shadow. She waits outside the bathroom door (or tries to push her way in with me), stands right behind me when I'm washing dishes, etc., etc. Definitely OCD like. Not that I'm griping, but.... I just don't think she retains anything well.
I had a lot of ideas for us when I first brought her home, but now I just hope to make it through our next walk without her dumping or dragging me into a cactus. (She weighs about 70lbs - but built like a brick house!)
I'm still working my way through the many topics in this forum. I'm sure that I'll find some answers or new ideas soon. Thanks for having us and I look forward to reading all of your stories!
Regards,
Gemkatz and Emma in Arizona
Re: Hi from Arizona!
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:50 am
by alspyce
Welcome! Emma is a very pretty girl! Something about her head is making me think Akita may be in the mix somewhere.
Re: Hi from Arizona!
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:19 pm
by Gemkatz
Actually the guy that I got her from told that she is a purebred that he had her pedigree documents. Unfortunately he has since moved (which is why he had to find a new home for her) and I have no idea where to. This picture might help a bit more though.

Re: Hi from Arizona!
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:29 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome!
Nice dog, blue tongue?
Does she have a real short upperlip, or is she just being silly bitng it in that first pic

Re: Hi from Arizona!
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 pm
by Gemkatz
The poor girl has been dealt one of the worst things in my opinion. Emma has a very crooked bottom jaw. I guess you could almost say that it has rotated around. But because of it's position, she is unable to bite down and actually hold on to something. She has instigated a couple of confrontations with other dogs and then not been able to defend herself. Emma and I, unfortunately, have not been very successful with socializing her. I haven't been able to figure out a way to help her become more "friendly" towards other dogs. She loves people to death, but has a major issue with other dogs. And now I am somewhat reluctant to introduce her to other dogs in case there is another confrontation. Here are a couple of pics that show her bottom jaw a bit better.
You know, I was curious about the tongue color as well. So I did a little research on that and what I found was that any dog can have a black or a partial black tongue. It's the blue tongue that belongs to the Chow and the Shar Pei (and maybe others too?). But I guess I could have read in wrong too. Anyone have any info on that?
And now for the good news! Emma and I had a very fun day today... building her very own obstacle course in her yard. She loves it! (But now she is completely conked out and sleeping like a log. Silly girl!)
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Keri (Gemkatz) and Emma
Re: Hi from Arizona!
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:18 am
by LyonsFamily
IMO, I think it's time to get a trainer in there ASAP. If she's pulling you down during walks or knocking into you AND is possibly dog aggressive, then things are getting too far out of control for you to handle alone.
A lot of trainers have reactive dog classes and after a set of private consultations or lessons, you can work on slowly allowing her to adjust to a room of other dogs. A muzzle would probably be necessary for a while, and getting basic groundwork down should be done first. Private lessons first would probably be the best option.
Re: Hi from Arizona!
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:29 am
by wahinelf
I second private/group training. My dog is reactive to other dogs for different reasons, and working her in a room full of dogs improved her behavior all around. Also, those walks don't sound fun. I know a lot of people use prong collars for their DS's with some success - its good to talk to a trainer/someone experienced before trying those out - for fit an technique. I like gentle leaders myself, gives you nice control over your dog's head. But, its nice to talk to a trainer in real life and seeing what they recommend for your situation.
Welcome, I hope you find these boards as useful as I do!! Emma is a cutie!!!
Re: Hi from Arizona!
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm
by Marjolein
considering the built of the dog, and underbite etc. I could see a chow(-mix) in there. Not sure how a blue tongue is transferred actually

Maybe Judith knows more about that?