Page 1 of 1
Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:39 am
by Nico
Hi everyone,
My name is Nico. I am about to be a 1st time DS owner (next two weeks)and I have a slew of questions that keep cropping up. I grew up with Rhodesian Ridgebacks and an Irish Wolfhound, (not to mention some chickens and a goat). I am really excited to have a dog back in my life but am approaching the whole affair rigorously. I want Cola (that will be her name) to have a fulfilling life. I want to provide her with mental and physical activity to stimulate and challenge her. in all honesty that's the only way any of us grow and change isn't it? I work from home and set my own schedule for the most part so I will have time to spend with her. As well we live just steps from a big park where she can run around, play on the jungle gym, sprint with me etc etc. I am currently reading the "4H Guide" for Dog Training, for a refresher course in the basics and "From Puppy to Working, Sporting or Police Dog" by Dick Staal, for something more suited to the breed specifically. (i think i picked up the recommendation off this forum). I am looking forward to communicating with you guys and will give back what I can.
all the best,
Nico
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:28 am
by Dutchringgirl
Congratulations !!!! Cant wait to see pictures.
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:05 am
by vneerland
Welcome here Nico. Thank you for your intro. Where is your pup coming from? What made you want a Dutch Shepherd?

I assume your first brindle?

Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:39 pm
by Nico

Hi again,
dutchringgirl: Thanks! I will definitely be posting pictures as soon as I pick her up.
vneerland: Thank you for the nice welcome. My pup is coming from Northwoods/Thunderhawk Canine, she is part of the C litter that was recently announced (Tommy and Ziva pup). I got acquainted with and subsequently fascinated by the breed last year in California. I had been staying with a friend of mine in santa cruz. he has a cane corso who was attending k9 training courses, and I got to see some Mals at various stages of training over there. It was pretty impressive. Shortly there after I got the chance to meet a DS by the beach and was highly impressed. he was obviously aesthetically stunning, but what was more impressive was his composure and presence. i am sorry i didnt catch his name, (or the owner's for that matter) but it definitely planted a seed in my mind. Since then I have done a lot of research on the breed, all it's particularities, nuances, history, coats, breeding, disposition,etc. Soooo about a year later I am researching Schutzhund clubs in NY (cant find any in the 5 boroughs) Nj and Long Island, reading books on training, buying toys, researching foods, LOL.
in answer to your final question, Yes. This will be the first dog I have ever had with a brindle coat.

and I am really excited.
am sure you wil be hearing a lot from me on here. thanks again.
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:29 pm
by felixone123
welcome!!!
you will be getting an awesome beast from Christie!! Can't wait to see a pic of her. I have been following/seeing all of those puppies on their FB page - they are to die for!!

Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 am
by leih merigian
Welcome Nico and almost-Cola!
cool name for your pup! flows right off the tongue...
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 am
by Nico
Thanks Lieh and Felix, I appreciate the warm welcomes! I have been looking at facebook for the 1st time in my life to keep up with the development of these little ones. They really are beautiful.
lieh- glad you like the name, my wife named her. She liked the name and it ended up making sense on a number of levels, both color-wise and for the fact that it was the C litter.
all the best!
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm
by vneerland
I personally would have preferred to call my Dutch Shepherd "Nico" but Cola is nice too.
(One of my own DS's is Nico) I will be nice to see one of Christie's brindles grow up on this board.

Will she (?) be home for Christmas?
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 pm
by Nico
Hi. yeah she will def be home for x-mas. glad you like MY name. lol.
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm
by Choochi
Congratulations!

It's really nice to see some one who has done some researched into these dogs before getting one after an encounter. I love the name too! You know it is mandatory to post lots of puppy pics when you get her.
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:43 am
by Nico
Hi Choochi. Pleased to meet you! As much research as I do I still feel unprepared! Theory and practice I guess. Anyhow I am aware of and ready for the commitment. Headed to TN to pick her up next weekend! And yes, there will be plenty of pics.