Page 1 of 1

Hello from Canada

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 am
by HeatherH
Hi my name is Heather. My husband I have a 4 1/2 month old ds. Named Dutch. I am more familiar with dalmatians, but understand that both breeds are hi-energy and can be a bit stubborn I will probably use this forum more the my husband. I am usually on my cell so forgive any spelling mistake please. Both my husband and I have had dogs over the years. This will be first dog together.

Thx

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 am
by icvanstra
Heather,

Welcome to the forum!

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 pm
by Choochi
Hi Heather!
Hello from Toronto :)

I certainly would not describe the Dutchies as being stubborn, if any thing they are extremely intelligent and can in some instances learn how to manipulate their in some cases less then bright human companions ;) Being high drive and determined to get what they want can probably add to creating the confused image of a stubborn dog. I think you will find your new boy/girl? to be a world of difference from your Dals.

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:29 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Heather!

Hope you and your spousal unit are good at being consistent with each other about your training and cues and such :mrgreen: .

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:35 pm
by LyonsFamily
Welcome. It's definitely different raising a dog with a spouse. Do you have any children already? I think I lucked out a bit because I grew up with at least 3 dogs in the house at all times and my husband never had one, but was in the military and understands these dogs, so he had a lot of initial questions about raising one and we're on the same page now.

Odin loves to play off each of us. He knows if he really has to go to the bathroom he'll ask me, but if he wants to play outside and smell everything, my husband is more likely to not be as strict about getting back in. He gave up on trying to wake me up for breakfast, but since my husband's an early riser, when that first alarm goes off, Odin is wide awake and asking for food.

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:19 am
by leih merigian
LyonsFamily wrote:Odin loves to play off each of us. He knows if he really has to go to the bathroom he'll ask me, but if he wants to play outside and smell everything, my husband is more likely to not be as strict about getting back in. He gave up on trying to wake me up for breakfast, but since my husband's an early riser, when that first alarm goes off, Odin is wide awake and asking for food.
It's totally different in our house. I do 100% of everything with my girl, so while Geyser loves her dad, she doesn't ask him for anything or look to him for anything. Well, she does ask him if she can get up on the bed with me once he's up :mrgreen: (at least she asks :lol: ).

I have clients who are couples where both do the training. It's generally caused issues with the dogs, alas. It always makes me nuts :mrgreen: .

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:44 am
by LyonsFamily
leih merigian wrote:
I have clients who are couples where both do the training. It's generally caused issues with the dogs, alas. It always makes me nuts :mrgreen: .
That is frustrating. My husband generally stays away from the training, but he helps reinforce the rules and I have him do some obedience run-thrus occasionally just to make sure we stay consistent if he ever takes him for walks or anything. Odin is very much my dog, but by husband works from home and I'm always running everywhere with training and grooming, so he steps in a lot. They have a very interesting bond.

My MIL always asks for training advice but has 4 kids still at home. After the first few sessions I told her we couldn't achieve what she wanted because it was the kids' dog and none of them were on the same page training wise. Their dog has a whole bunch of problems, but they took it to Petsmart for training so it sits if you shake a treat jar!

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:29 am
by Sugars Mom
leih merigian wrote: It's totally different in our house. I do 100% of everything with my girl, so while Geyser loves her dad, she doesn't ask him for anything or look to him for anything. Well, she does ask him if she can get up on the bed with me once he's up :mrgreen: (at least she asks :lol: ).
lol, thats just how it is in our house...right down to asking to go up on our bed. :lol:

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:18 am
by leih merigian
LyonsFamily wrote: Their dog has a whole bunch of problems, but they took it to Petsmart for training so it sits if you shake a treat jar!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week!!! Thanks :mrgreen:

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:09 pm
by vneerland
Welcome here Heather. Feel free to inundate us with pictures. :mrgreen:

Re: Hello from Canada

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:24 pm
by HeatherH
Pictures. I'm trying to cut them down so they will fit on the forum. Dutch may be my dog but he generally sticks with my husband. I love training and playing and long hikes, but I'm much more stricked then my husband. I was thinking flyball. But I need to read up more.