new person reply

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
ClaireAnnette
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have dog that I am seeking breed for.

new person reply

Post by ClaireAnnette »

I am posting here as I was asked to; I really do not know what to say.

Have a dog I believe is DS with floppy ear tips.

She is working and training to be a mobility service dog by me, for me.
I have a lot of lingering and annoying health issues. Without great detail involves post cancer treatments and autoimmue things.

That is about all.
ClaireAnnette
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: new person reply

Post by Christie M »

Thank you so much for posting. It is just nice for everyone to get a little background about everyone about how you came to have a Dutch Shepherd (or what looks like one), what your future plans are...etc. I know we will all be fascinated to hear about your training and the service work that you and your dog are doing. Such a valuable resource!

Last request - please click on the link at the upper left area of the page that says "User Control Panel." It is two lines under the picture of Odin in an orange bandana. There you can create a signature that includes your name so that you don't have to worry about signing future posts and we will always know who you are!!

Thanks again and looking forward to following your progress!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: new person reply

Post by leih merigian »

Hey ClaireAnnette!

I'm sure you'll do much more indepth service training with your DSish dog, but I also do service type stuff with my DS, Geyser. Some of it is just for fun and/or convenience, some of it is truly to assist me.

How did you come by your dog?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: new person reply

Post by vneerland »

Welcome. Sorry to hear of you need for a service dog. Wonderful that you are able to (still) do your own training.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
ClaireAnnette
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have dog that I am seeking breed for.

Re: new person reply

Post by ClaireAnnette »

There is a woman that trains service dogs and selects dogs from shelters. My other dog died about a year ago; and this dog was available as a puppy. She was in her kennel about 3 mos and she had not had much training. The woman prefers dogs to be a big more 'gregarious' than she was at the time; but she is fine with me spending a lot of time with her. II live about 2 hrs from where this woman teaches so I cannot really do her program. would like to get more tasks learned, but I recently broke some bones and it has slowed me down even more. Mostly I use sort of clicker like training except use word "yes" instead of clicker. It is constant constant showing her something; and sort of waiting on dog maturity:-) she knows quite a bit actually; but I need to work on some more advanced things; when I am up to it. If she could just run errands and grocery shop I would be fixed. But she pretty much goes everywhere with me. For better or worse:-) anyway, she is progressing. She knows when I tell her to 'get' something; but much more fun to play with it than to bring it to me. But we will get there. I also make a lot of it fun like play, so she likes doing whatever it is and thinks it is a fun game. At the same time; when she does something that 'helps' Mamma, she wags and is so proud. Key is her understanding what it is I want her to do.
ClaireAnnette
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: new person reply

Post by vneerland »

Always wondered if it took a calm(er) type of dog vs a more energetic one. I would have assumed that calm and more deliberate would be better. I have some wild ones that can drive a fully healthy person to :pint: and cannot imagine how they would fare as service dogs.
An acquaintance of mine is in a nursing home with one of her personal dogs (a gsd) using her as a kind of service dog. Not too good though, if the dog takes offense to a nurse helping the owner up out of bed, right? :oops: It would take a special kind of dog to be good at the intended job. I know many DS's that would not fit that job description.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: new person reply

Post by Schlussdibusti »

ClaireAnnette wrote:when she does something that 'helps' Mamma, she wags and is so proud. Key is her understanding what it is I want her to do.
When that bond developes and they "understand" what's needed, they are beyond amazing. :love:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
ClaireAnnette
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have dog that I am seeking breed for.

Re: new person reply

Post by ClaireAnnette »

Well, it depends on the task. A dog for a seeing eye situatioun would need to be calm and not at all distractable. A mobility dog would depend a lot on the individual. A quadraplegic would also need a calm dog. For me, I can control her; at least having started early. This is why I have personally chosen to have her learn verbal cues, I am not a strong person. She probably would be much for some, but she is pretty calm, except for puppiness. For example, something drops; she might look, but she does not jump and cower. You can touch her all over. As one place put it, you have to teach them some intelligent disobedience too. So if I ask her to do something she percieves not safe by training she will not do. I think there are as many ways to pick and train service dogs as there are dogs! The point is, safety and good behavior when out, and does the dog do things to help your quality of life in helping make things easier. Like anything, even people, during learning they are not that much help and more trouble. But once they learn, or at least learn to learn; it gets easier.
ClaireAnnette
ClaireAnnette
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have dog that I am seeking breed for.

Re: new person reply

Post by ClaireAnnette »

Also, forgot. Yes, as part of socialization too, she allows people to work "on" me medically. I had to ride in ambulance with her, go to ER, they gave me IV sedation and set my wrist, all with her present. Dr asked if it would be ok for her to stay in room; I said it did not bother me if it did not him; and off they went. BUT I had walked her around a 'live' ambulance at 4 mos. She goes to Dr appts with me. For example. I have taken her up to and on golf carts. I have loaded her on city bus. Elevators. Stairs. Bridges, garages. You name it! But again, I discourage behaviors that would negate this. And I think most would either ignore/not notice or even encourage these. As mentioned, one of our first tricks was learning 'settle'. She IS calmer than a lot but she is high energy.
ClaireAnnette
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: new person reply

Post by LyonsFamily »

vneerland wrote: I know many DS's that would not fit that job description.
**Odin raises his paw
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
ClaireAnnette
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have dog that I am seeking breed for.

Re: new person reply

Post by ClaireAnnette »

Funny; I bet he would do just fine had you started him in that direction.
ClaireAnnette
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: new person reply

Post by vneerland »

LyonsFamily wrote:
vneerland wrote: I know many DS's that would not fit that job description.
**Odin raises his paw
That's all right Odin! There is a full brindle pack at my house that would simply not be happy at all with such a sane job. Not as youngsters anyway. I don't fault them for it. They were selected for (heavy duty) work and tend to be full of mischief in their first year. I bet you know what I am talking about, though to those who have never seen that amount of foolishness in action might think it is just lack of guidance. I am glad to hear that there are DS's who can do service work. It's a great job that fills a great need, so yay! 8-) But not all dogs would fit that mold. No more than all dogs can/will/want to do protection work.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
ClaireAnnette
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have dog that I am seeking breed for.

Re: new person reply

Post by ClaireAnnette »

Oh, I did not mention the thievery; did I? Or the redecorating of items? Or sealing books off of book shelves, not to read them. Or how the food in the RV van has to be hung up in bags or it will meet the fate of some potato chip bags (individual ones mind you). And no cookie gets by her! And currently she MUST go out and chase the sprinklers. And she can wiggle out of a collar in a second. And sometimes she is so proud of how well she can 'up' she has to 'up' on everything. And when we go to do business rolling and bouncing in grass. And ANY object becomes a toy. Today she wanted to take a toy outside I did not want outside, so I played tug of war and hid it under my pillow, she bounced up and grabbed it, so I covered her eyes with my hand and put it under a blanket; she bounds back to look under the pillow; but where IS it now? Yes she has the dickens in her. If you need a grave plot dug, look no further. Oh yes, there is a wild sense of humor there too. She keeps me busy. But I prefer a dog with a personality and I encourage a sense of humor. Yes, she let's me know I have nothing on her in intelligence, and her ideas make a lot more sense than mine. I let her be a dog too, I just think it iss better for their mental health. As long as they can do what needs to be done when the time comes. This is my first female dog ever, and I believe there is a difference there too. But, she is learning, has done well when it needed to be done well, so I believe over many years it will work out fine. How many people grin in delight at such simple things as a belly rub? Or a hug? Yes, she keeps me going. She is my baby, my little girl, and my family. Each day would be dark without her. Actually, when you consider they have to be familiar with lots of different things and places; I do not think the dog finds it mundane at all. Plus, their own personal people 24-7? At their beckon call? It is a very perfect life for any dog:-)
ClaireAnnette
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: new person reply

Post by leih merigian »

I love your attitude, and agree much with your training philosophy. You have a find sense of humor to go along with your girl's, which of course, makes life so much more livable.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
ClaireAnnette
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have dog that I am seeking breed for.

Re: new person reply

Post by ClaireAnnette »

Oh yes, I often say I put up with a lot with her, BUT she puts up with me! You can be sure she hears constantly that she is loved. None of us are perfect. My favorite saying, I think I made up:
Dogs are love wrapped in fur.


There, now I will see that all over, just quote me as part of my legacy!
ClaireAnnette
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: new person reply

Post by LyonsFamily »

ClaireAnnette wrote:Funny; I bet he would do just fine had you started him in that direction.
Possibly, but it would have taken a lot more work than a different dog that's more reserved. He was a rescue, so I had no choice in how he was started, but I didn't choose him for laid back work. I got him strictly for agility and a few other dog sports. It takes a different personality to be driven for that. He lives to be crazy and work. He can do obedience, but it gets boring after a while. If only service dog work involved tunnels, jumps, and contact obstacles being maneuvered at top speeds!

I had a beagle growing up I did therapy work with. She was patient with the elderly and was a great demo dog at elementary schools, but we got DQ'd at more than a few agility trails for being over time. It just wasn't a priority for her to excel at sports.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
ClaireAnnette
Just Whelped
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have dog that I am seeking breed for.

Re: new person reply

Post by ClaireAnnette »

Oh yes, and this one is speedy fast and very agile/flexible. She can hop up about 4 feet from dead stop and spin plus place her paw on her leash so it will not strangle her! If I but had the energy, she would be killer at agility or even dog dancing and certainly have energy for it. Oh, there are some obsticles like learning to go under a table or chair is similar to a tunnel. Going across a ramp. Mine is getting more paw eye coordination. But, like I said, this is why I personally allow her times to be a dog. She would have too much pent up energy. It would not be fair. But yes, a dog obviously could be too energetic and need more activity. One looks for what suits themselves. Shepherds are just thinking dogs. You can see even the puppies the wheels are always turning. I love learning a dog's individuality.
ClaireAnnette
Post Reply