Page 1 of 1

New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:49 pm
by structural
Hello all,

My wife and I bought a Dutch Shepherd pup a couple months ago. I probably came across this site like most just looking for more information. We have a rescue shepherd mix that is going on 4 years old but we really don't know how old he is. They are both quite high energy dogs so they work well together and tire each other out all day long.

My wife is leery about training for bite work and having a "family" dog, so I think we'll stick with scent work and hunting training. I'm amazed at her intelligence and her drive to perform at the limited training she's done so far.

Heres some pictures since everybody likes pictures.

Holly's first day
Image

Sleepy
Image

Taking care of a stuffed frog
Image
Image

Playing with big bro Bandit
Image

Holly at about 4.5 months
Image

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:58 pm
by felixone123
Welcome!! Holly is just so adorable!! Congrats.

I felt the same way about bite work, but we have an excellent master trainer who knows what he is doing and that will make all the difference in the world. Getting the right trainer is key, in my opinion.

Where is your pup from?

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:09 pm
by feraloup
Ohhhhh my god, too adorable! :D

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:26 pm
by structural
We got her from a breeder in ontario called Strike Force K9. Nice lady who runs it, very knowledgable and helpful. But I think most of her dogs go to police / military type work. Both parents were on site (as well as 3-4 other dutch shepherds), really nice dispositions while being really driven for there work. Her dad had the first schutzhund designation and mom did bedbug and termite detection.

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:19 pm
by anniewang83
Welcome! Holly looks adorable - you are so lucky!!!
Where in Ontario are you? I used to live in Kingston, ON while I was young for 4 years and still have great memories... :mrgreen:

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:12 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Structural,

Very cute pup you have there! Glad you found us...

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:10 pm
by Schlussdibusti
welcome!

Very cute!

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:03 pm
by structural
We live a little north of Orillia on Sparrow Lake. I grew up around Hamilton though.

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm
by Choochi
AWWW she's so precious!! Welcome to the board! You will find this is a great place for information and sharing stories with other Dutchie lovers!

I know your breeder, we're good friends, I know your pup's parents (Zoe and Farve), and I have played with your pup and might have some pics of her when she was about 4/5wks old :D

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 pm
by structural
Small world! when we stopped by to check out the pups, Farve was going crazy because I think two females were in heat.

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:13 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome, nice pup, is the frog still alive?? :D