Page 1 of 2
Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm
by HARNW76
Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie to this forum and to the breed. In fact this is the first forum that I've joined and I have yet to own a Dutch shepherd. I grew up a fan of the GSDs that I would watch on TV like Rin Tin Tin and Bullet. (Lassie finding Timmy in the well just didn't do much for me.) I've owned four GSDs since the late 70's. I knew nothing of working dog sports or training of any kind back then so my first GSD was a pet and someone to take with me when I ran. My next GSD had working blood lines on the top side but not a lot from his mother. He had lots of pray drive but little defense. His hips kept us from joining a SCH. club but we did a lot of obedience and bite work. (A great learning experience) Right now we have two GSD. One is a recently adopted female. She's a rescue dog who has found a permanent home where she will be loved and cared for. She is my wife's pet for life, a perfect fit. My GSD is a 11 1/2 year old male. He's out of some very good working Czech lines. A very serious dog from the day we picked him up at 7 weeks of age. I was looking for a hard protection dog that would handle real life pressure. One that I could trust to protect my wife and home. And when I think that both of my neighbors have had their homes broken into I feel like he has done his job. Again, putting a lot of control and bite work into this dog has been another great learning experience. Unfortunately at over a eleven years of age he is not long for this world and I am starting the process of finding my next dog. I'll be looking for the same dog that everyone else is looking for. The "perfect dog"! One that is stable between the ears, has all the right drives in the correct proportions for the sport or work we intend for them to do. Looks like a million bucks and is healthy,healthy,healthy. And that's why I'm considering getting a DS this next time. From what I've read and from my email conversations (from about a year ago) with Asheley Winters DVM (I think she's the same as Asheley Lane?) I can find all the positive traits of a great GSD in a DS but with a lower chance of genetically born health issue. So that's why I'm here. To learn as much as I can about the breed from all of you who have already gone to where I'm headed. I'm someone who likes to study whatever I'm interested in, so please don't hesitate to offer your insights or point me to someone who would be a great source of information. This includes helping me learn about the blood lines, health concerns, good nutrition, training insight and methods and finding a great breeder to work with. In other words, any help and support that you are willing to share will be put to good use and greatly appreciated. So that's my story in a nut shell. Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing from all of you who are willing to point me in the right direction. PS I'm looking to see a working DS in the ST.Louis Mo. USA area. And recommendations of who or where I can go to see one?
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:11 am
by felixone123
welcome!! what is your time plan on getting a dutch? you came to the right place to learn more about them.
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:43 am
by Choochi
Yes, you're in a good place, welcome! You will learn lots

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 am
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome to the forum !
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:05 am
by HARNW76
Hi Barbara,
My time line for a new dog depends on my 11 1/2 year old male. It's unlikely that I'll bring a third dog into the home while he's still with us. My thoughts are that he won't be with us a year from now, but of course that's only a guess. My plan is to spend whatever time he has left learning about DS's and looking for a breeder. I'm also looking for a club in which to work him in case I decide to go that route. I know from experience that once my dog is gone there will be a huge hole to fill in our home and hearts. So I'll be looking to do try and do that as soon as I can.
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:12 am
by HARNW76
Hi Eva & Marco and Choochi.
This seems to be a friendly group of people.
Thanks for the welcome.
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 am
by leih merigian
Hi Harold, and welcome.
I switched from GSDs to DS, myself, and would do it again.
Glad you found us, and good for you, doing lots of research up front.
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:08 am
by feraloup
Welcome! I'm also a longtime GSD person, and only just got my first DS a few weeks ago.

I've found this forum to be a huge help.
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 pm
by HARNW76
Leih & Antumn,
Thank you for the welcome. It's good to know that I'm not alone in this. What made you decide to go with a DS over another GSD? I like to hear your insights on this matter. I need all the help I can get. : )
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 am
by feraloup
Hey, Harold!
To answer your question, as I said, I've always loved GSDs. My first one I got as a puppy when I was 7. She was from a backyard breeder, neighbors down the way who had a male and a female and had a litter. Heidi was nothing spectacular as far as breed standard, but she had the intelligence and loyalty one would expect from a good dog. She was our family dog and I grew up with her.
My second girl, Cory, I acquired as a 3 year old when I was entering my senior year of college. She was amazing, incredible drive, scary intelligence, tireless and loyal and just so what had been missing in my life. She even helped train both other dogs who came into our lives at intervals of a few years. She passed away at 13 years old, a month before my son was born. With 2 other dogs, a baby on the way, and a disintegrating relationship, I wasn't going to be going out and getting another dog right away, but I always knew eventually I'd have another Shepherd someday. (No offense to the amazing Cedar, my blind rottie/pit who passed on at 12 3 years ago, and Maiyou, my Singer/pit who is still with us at 12, now, and going strong! Most people think I'm putting them on when I say how old she is. Both of them fully worthy life partners as well!)
Someday worked it's way around to becoming the present, and my fiancee and son and I have taked about getting a pup for a bit.
I know it's possible to still find good working lines of GSDs, but that it can be harder to find them and the incidences of congenital health flaws much higher, it breaks my heart to see what's happened to the breed overall.
In trying to research my options, I came across the DS. They seemed to be everything I loved about working GSDs, but without having yet been overbred into the ground and a bit more intense. (The intensity part didn't worry me after raising a Singer-mix. Her as a pup makes my new DS pup seem totally chill by comparison.) I was also very attracted to the brindle. I've always loved brindle coloring anyway, and Cedar had been a dark brindle with big white splashes, but an added bonus to the different coloration was that it doesn't "scream" GSD. As much as I love everything about them, my fiancee's Uncle has negative associations with the breed, but adored his old brindle mixed-breed girl, "Sheba" who passed away two years ago. We keep our livestock at his farm and spend lots of time there, I know if I got a GSD he'd soften to it, (Cory "rehabbed" more than one person who thought they didn't like GSDs at first.) but the DS being everything I'd like in a dog, plus less stereotype Shepherd-looking, plus a coat-look that he had positive associations with, 'cuz of his old Sheba-girl, well, it seemed a perfect fit.

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:37 pm
by HARNW76
Autumn, Thanks for sharing your story. I wish you all the best with your DS.
Tell me, did you use a breeder here in the States?
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:39 pm
by HARNW76
Marjolein wrote:Welcome

Thank you, I've only been here a few days and have learn a lot
already.
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:19 am
by Christie M
You will see various posts about breedings as you move through the year. If Asheley was your first contact, you couldn't have found a better one. She is exceptionally meticulous about the dogs that she breeds. Based on your other thread, about stateside vs. overseas dogs, I think you will eventually have to ask yourself "What kind of dog do I want to work and possible live with. What lifestyle do I envision that dog to have?"
There are some lines of DS here who are sharp as hell and will come up the leash in a heart beat. There are some that are just very forward, hard dogs....who may not be suited too well to living in the house during their working career, but will settle in as they mature. Some that love to work when they are asked, but will watch Sunday football all day (once they grow up

). And then some that are content to not do much at all. If competition is what you are after, I would ask competitors in the various sports. Their dogs tend to be raised, handled and selected differently.
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm
by HARNW76
Marjolein wrote:Welcome

Hi Marjolein.
Thank for the hello.
My family is from Germany so I hope you do great things with your dogs.
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:36 pm
by HARNW76
Christie M wrote:You will see various posts about breedings as you move through the year. If Asheley was your first contact, you couldn't have found a better one. She is exceptionally meticulous about the dogs that she breeds. Based on your other thread, about stateside vs. overseas dogs, I think you will eventually have to ask yourself "What kind of dog do I want to work and possible live with. What lifestyle do I envision that dog to have?"
There are some lines of DS here who are sharp as hell and will come up the leash in a heart beat. There are some that are just very forward, hard dogs....who may not be suited too well to living in the house during their working career, but will settle in as they mature. Some that love to work when they are asked, but will watch Sunday football all day (once they grow up

). And then some that are content to not do much at all. If competition is what you are after, I would ask competitors in the various sports. Their dogs tend to be raised, handled and selected differently.
Christie,
I'll be looking for a dog that when protecting our home or on the PSA field will take his bite work very seriously. But when not working is social and safe. He will also need to be a dog that is not bouncing off the walls with nervous energy when not working. A confident and stable dog. I've been encouraged from what I've seen of American breeders. Of course anyone can put up a web site with pretty picture and stories of great preforming dogs. This may be my last working dog, so I'm really hoping that I don't screw this decision up.

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:01 pm
by debmac
Harold,
I also was a long time GSD person, but worked with a DS in training years ago and aways wanted one. After my last search dog died this fall, I adopted a female DS and could not be happier. Now she will most likely not be a candidate for air scenting, but loves to track and do cadaver work. I find the DS to be extremely quick to pick up on training- Tess responds well to marker training and rarely requires more than once or twice to learn something new.
I am also planning for a pup this spring and am thinking a pup from this springs breeding of Asheley's Bonita to be the one!
Good luck with your search.
Deb
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:05 pm
by Christie M
debmac wrote:
I am also planning for a pup this spring and am thinking a pup from this springs breeding of Asheley's Bonita to be the one!
Shhhhhh, I have a secret. Because Bonita is taking an exceptionally long time to come into heat, Ash may be breeding her this winter since it will be a good 10ish months since her last one

Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:09 pm
by debmac
Now that would make me smile!! I'm afraid Dutch Shepherds are like potato chips- you can't have just one!
Deb
Re: Hi From the Gateway To The West
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:02 pm
by HARNW76
debmac wrote:Harold,
I also was a long time GSD person, but worked with a DS in training years ago and aways wanted one. After my last search dog died this fall, I adopted a female DS and could not be happier. Now she will most likely not be a candidate for air scenting, but loves to track and do cadaver work. I find the DS to be extremely quick to pick up on training- Tess responds well to marker training and rarely requires more than once or twice to learn something new.
I am also planning for a pup this spring and am thinking a pup from this springs breeding of Asheley's Bonita to be the one!
Good luck with your search.
Deb
Deb,
Years ago when I got my Czech GSD I was talking with a kennel owner, breeder of GSD's and long time sch. competitor about him. She told me Czech GSD's are very smart. And then she looked me up and down, with an odd look on her face. Like she was thinking to herself " Well Forrest Gump what are going to do with a dog that's smarter then you". And now I keep hearing about how super smart DS are. This is great timing... my next dog will be the smartest think on four feet and I'll be trying to train it with a method (marker training)that is new to me. Uugg. This poor dog has no chance and I have even less. Maybe I should just get a cat and call it a day.
