Page 1 of 1

New member - possible new Dutch Shepherd owner

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:31 am
by CAHerder
Hi all,

I've been enjoying reading through these posts, learning a lot about the breed. Very good information!

A bit about my situation: I have a 5 acre property in the CA redwoods. A large portion of it is fenced, and I have three sturdy, large kennels. I have a 7 year old spayed female cattle dog, who is my little partner :D She goes most everywhere I can take her with me, however, she is dog reactive so we're somewhat limited. We have done a TON of behavioral training, allowing us to compete in AKC obedience (she has her CD, but is too unsure of herself to complete the out of sight sit/down stays for her CDX, but passed everything else three times!), herding, and AKC rally (RE). We have taken a few years of agility lessons, and still practice at home. I have two sheep and two goats also for herding practice. Until about 6 months ago, I also had a wonderful GSD from Schutzhund lines. He was a retired service dog, but tore his ACL and could no longer do the brace work required for his job. Long story short - the ex boyfriend took him when he moved out :( I miss him dearly, and miss his drive for obedience training! My little cattle dog would rather just hang out and play, herd some easy stock, or be social! She was a rescue, and is uncharacteristically friendly with everyone.

Anyway, I'm looking into getting a Dutch Shepherd that is at least 8 months old, for obedience/agility for fun/maybe Schutzhund. I would also like a more confidant dog that my ACD that I can take out into social situations where there are other dogs, and that would be more protective of me/the property.

However, I am a competitive cyclist, and spend 2-4 hours a day training, and need time to 'be lazy' to recover. Having 5 acres right out my front door through makes it pretty easy to exercise dogs. I haven't had a problem with my cattle dog, GSD or the dozens of fosters I've had. Big advantage - I can bring my dog to work with me, a big warehouse, where we play fetch while I work :D I also have a renter in a small studio on my property, whose part of their job is to watch the dogs when I'm out of town at races.

Any comments/suggestions on my situation? Sorry it is so long! But as someone who absolutely adores ACDs, I would want to have all the info when sharing my opinions on the breed...so figure with big time DS owners, it would be the same!

Also, has anyone heard anything about VonFalconer?

Thanks a million.


Heather

Central Coast, CA

Re: New member - possible new Dutch Shepherd owner

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:49 am
by Manstrom
I'm new here myself. My boy Harvey is an 8 month old rescue and is a complete sweetheart. I live in a studio apartment and he loves it (my rhodesian ridgeback, chance, back home in Illinois free roams a pasture of a couple acres but don't tell Harvey... we might get jelious). Out of all the dogs I've had he's one of the most stubborn but at the same time he has been way quicker at learning once he realizes he's not getting his way if that makes any sense. He has an awesome level of drive but due to his bad eye he's just going to be a trained up house pup.

I'm a cop in the air force and have "caught" my fair share of dutchies and malinois' and I'd argue that the dutchies even did better at bite/defensive work. On an unrelated note, I'm actually trying to go to K9 handler school and hope I can get a dutchie MWD if I do.

With that said this forum is full of knowledgeable people that can answer any question.

Re: New member - possible new Dutch Shepherd owner

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 am
by feraloup
Welcome! :)

Re: New member - possible new Dutch Shepherd owner

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome to the forum!

Re: New member - possible new Dutch Shepherd owner

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:05 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome :)

Re: New member - possible new Dutch Shepherd owner

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm
by alexis
welcome! I also have a rescue DS - I'd recommend checking out NADSR if you haven't already as they're a great organization to adopt through! I didn't go through them (Zane came from a gsd rescue), but many people here have adopted wonderful dogs through them.

Re: New member - possible new Dutch Shepherd owner

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:18 am
by KellaA+dog6
Hi, sounds like we may live not to far from each other. My dog is a "maybe DS mix". She has the brains, and some of the conformation, with a touch of brindle in her coat.( looks black in anything but very bright light)
Others have recomended NADSR for a rescue. If you havn't looked at the web site and Facebook page, you should. There have been quite a few rescues from CA in the short time I have been here
.
Also, during the year and a half of looking before finding Kella, there were a few other dogs at the San Martin, CA shelter that might have been DS or Mixes. ( before I knew much about them) If things go well, the right dog will find you at the right time.