Page 1 of 1

Mokume ornament

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:24 pm
by feraloup
Wanted to post this pic while I had the chance. I made an ornament out of one of my chicken eggs, (blown out, first, of course!) as a Thank-you gift to our vet to hang on the tree in their office. :) (We have a follow-up visit after school today.) I won't be near a real computer during the holiday vacation, so I won't be able to post pics until we come back, though I'll be able to do typed-only postings from my phone.

Haven't had much chance to post alot due to pre-vacation insanity at school. :P

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:40 pm
by Schlussdibusti
This is awesome!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm
by johninny
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that makes for a Merry Christmas!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:27 pm
by Sugars Mom
That IS so cool!!!!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:47 pm
by alspyce
Wonderful craft work! Have a nice holiday!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:51 pm
by alexis
that's gorgeous!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:23 pm
by centrop67
Very nice. What a beautiful ornament and dog.

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:33 pm
by Choochi
wow that's incredible! That is so thoughtful and beautiful. That brings back memories too :) I remember we used to make ornaments out of egg shells like this when I was a kid, although ours didn't look any where close as good.

You are very talented!

I almost want to ask if you would make some thing like that for any other doggies? :roll: That would be a really nice momento to have.

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:03 pm
by katm4110
Wow you're very talented! What a great gift!!!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:31 pm
by Brindle
Wow !
That is really beautiful !
I agree with the others, you are very talented.

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:25 am
by felixone123
wow, really,really beautiful!!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:35 am
by Dutchringgirl
wow, that is sooooo beautiful!!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:03 pm
by feraloup
Thank you all for the nice compliments! :D

Yes, fortunately, while I'm almost always broke, I can draw! I tend to hand-make most of my gifts, it's an enjoyable creative outlet, and it allows me to still give nice gifts that folks usually appreciate even though I never have any money to buy things with.

Actually part of how I paid for Moko was by bartering a bunch of custom artwork. I also paid for Maiyou's puppy classes 12 years ago by painting a portrait of my trainer-friend's deceased rottweiler from photos. I'm a huge fan of barter! I even do trades with farmer's market vendors for fresh produce and meat.

I also sell hand-drawn notecards and hand-painted jewelry and the like at a local farmer's market during the summer, and a portion of my meager profits goes to the rescue organanization that my old Cedar came from.

The egg ornaments are a new idea this year, the Moko-face one is only the second one I've made! I'm frantically scrambling to finish several more that are going to be my gifts to folks this year! :) This is our first year having laying chickens, we got them as wee hatchlings in the spring, and they've just really hit their stride! I've been trying to come up with creative uses for all the eggs and realized they'd make perfect ornaments! Nice smooth surface for drawing/painting, and when hollow, nice and lightweight for hanging! :) And as gifts, something I haven't done yet! (2 years ago it was shell-pendants, last year bottlecap earrings and/or magnets with custom mini-drawings inside, I try not to repeat too much...)

Again, thank you so much for the appreciation of my work!

Choochi, to answer your question, I'd be happy to consider doing one for you, or anyone else who is interested. I obviously couldn't get it to you for this holiday, (I could get it finished but not shipped to you, I work pretty fast, the Moko ornament I did between 4-6am Friday morning) but I'd be happy to make one. Email me privately if you want to talk further. :) I also have a good chunk of time this upcoming week to do such projects, as I work at a school and we are on vacation all this week. I often work a separate job during school breaks, as I can't afford to take that much time off, (I'm not a salaried teacher, just a para, I work one-on-one with special-needs children,) but this one I made an exception for! Life has been over-crazed of late and I needed the mental rest! :) I also wanted extra bonding/training time with Mokume.

Thank you again to all for the lovely compliments!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:14 pm
by Olie
Wow great work!!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:27 pm
by alspyce
Have you tried Duck eggs? Thinking they may be sturdier. I know they are lots harder to crack into the frying pan.

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 pm
by Choochi
I think you should consider setting up and Etsy account and selling these ;)

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:56 pm
by Sugars Mom
Choochi wrote:I think you should consider setting up and Etsy account and selling these ;)
I agree!!!!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:15 pm
by katm4110
Choochi wrote:I think you should consider setting up and Etsy account and selling these ;)

Definitely agree!!!

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:07 pm
by Marjolein
wow! You made that?! It is VERY nice :DScool:

Re: Mokume ornament

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:19 pm
by feraloup
Again, many thanks to all for the lovely compliments!

I'd dip a bow but my back is still locked up. *wry chuckle* Been convalescing and drugged up for the past couple days. At the moment killing time while waiting for a chiropractic appointment. Ugh. Not how I planned to spend several days of my winter break, but I suppose it's good that I'm not missing any work from it.

I haven't tried duck eggs but maybe sometime in the future, if I ever have ducks, I'll give it a go. I have chicken eggs aplenty, though, several of "our girls" are excellent winter layers, (Chanticlers, icelandics, and several other cold-hardy breeds) so it's cheap to experiment with! As I said, the Moko ornament egg is only my second attempt. I've also since done one of a friend's doberman, who is her service dog, and one of my horse to give to the barn owners where I board him.

I actually do have an etsy account, but I'm almost never on there or posting things, because as I've mentioned before, I don't have a working computer at home. Someday I'd like to be able to do so, but it's not in my finances at this time. So I mostly do word of mouth commissions here and there, because it's too much added time and effort to try and maintain something commercial online with my limited access. *shrugs* I'll get there someday though! :)

Thanks again for the bright ego-boost!

I hope everyone had a happy, festive, and healthy holiday!