Page 1 of 1

Hello from Cali!

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:20 pm
by Dutchie_17
My name is Liz and I’m currently in the process of getting my first Dutch Shepherd!! :love:
I have wanted one for the last 2 years now and at last I found a breeder in Cali! They only have selective breedings so I won’t have my dog until late spring/early summer. But that’s okay, it gives me plenty of time to get ready for this wonderful dog!
With that being said any preferences on collars for this breed? (what is the appropriate size for a puppy and a adult dog. I want to stalk up before he comes!! :] ) Recommendation for dog food and dog kennels/crates?
I just want to give this dog the best home he could possibly have :)

Re: Hello from Cali!

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:02 am
by LyonsFamily
Welcome to the forum! What kennel are you getting your puppy from? When he/she arrives, make sure you post lots of pictures. We love pictures here.

As for a collar, I prefer to order mine through gun dog supply. They include a riveted tag on the collar, so you don't hear the tags jiggling around, and the identification won't break off if the dog were to get stuck on something or run loose. I work with rescues and many animals come in with a collar and no tags and never get claimed because the owner can't be found.

I have this one for Odin with our names, city, and 2 phone numbers engraved. http://www.gundogsupply.com/-277-.html It would be too big for a puppy, but there are other nylon and leather ones on there in various sizes.

This is the page of puppy collars, they have a few for under $5. You don't want to spend a lot right off the bat with a puppy because they're constantly growing, but you could order a few at once in different sizes and save them until he/she is that size. Odin is 2 and wears a 21" collar, if that helps at all when thinking about the future. He's a big boy, so you might want to ask the breeder what size the parents wear.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/puppy-and-s ... llars.html

For crates, I got mine off craigslist for way less than brand new. For a puppy and potty training, you want to limit their room. If you want to buy a crate for his adult size, make sure it has a divider that can be moved as the puppy grows. One of the main features of potty training in a crate is that they prefer to not go where they sleep and begin to hold it. If the crate is too large for a puppy, they can go in one corner and sleep in another and it doesn't have the same affect. By using a divider, you can limit the amount of space he has access to. You can also keep buying bigger crates, but that can be a pain to store and expensive.

I also really like xpens, in addition to a crate, for indoor quite time. Leerburg has a good free video explaining xpen training. It becomes a place for bone and kong chewing and safe relaxing throughout the dog's life. Even at 2, Odin is sometimes too much for me and has a "pen" or "place" command where he goes to his xpen. There's a blanket inside, along with a bucket of antlers, kongs, and bones to chew on. He also goes in there when visitors come over until they get adjusted to one another, or when I'm cleaning and don't need a shadow following me around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-7e0ilBZc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQLfq7tpVE

I mentioned in anther thread that it also works for those that need a dog confined, yet able to protect the house. Once trained in an xpen, they'll not try to escape, but the open top lets a protective dog have an option to come out if need me, unlike in a crate.

For food, dogfoodadvisor.com does reviews on most of the popular foods. You want to stick with 4 and 5 stars. I feed Raw, but have used Orijen and Acana with good success on occasion. Fromm Classic is a good, small, American made, line if you're looking for something within a budget.

Re: Hello from Cali!

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:25 am
by feraloup
Well howdy back! :) Welcome to the forum, where in CA are you? I have family in southern CA, an Aunt in San Diego and cousins just outside of LA.

New to Dutch Shepherds, myself, but not new to dogs.

This forum has been a great source of info and camaraderie.

For collars, I'm a fan of Lupine collars... Particularly the greyhound-style slipcollars. I had a bullneck of a rottie/pit who broke buckles just playing around, and a crazy-clever houdini of a Singer mix who could get out of anything. These were the only collars that lasted on Cedar and that Maiyou couldn't wiggle out of. (Cedar died at 12 years old 3 years ago, and Maiyou, who is currently 12, is still wearing hers.) My 18 week old Dutch Shepherd pup, Mokume, pronounced "Moh-koo-meh" or "Moko" for short, is wearing one of Maiyou's old puppy collars but is getting his own Lupine tomorrow, (we got a gift card to a pet supply store for Christmas, yay!)

Lupine also guarantees their collars, if it breaks or even gets chewed up, they'll replace it! And they come in all kinds of fun patterns and designs. They can be found in lots of stores and online. :)

Re: Hello from Cali!

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm
by Dutchie_17
Hi! WOW thanks for all the amazing info!
I’m getting my pup from Von Falconer k9’s. It’s going to cost me well over a grand but whatever it’s worth it! Plus I get to hand pick out my pup and I don’t have to worry about having to ship one to me! 
I’m getting a male pup and his name is going to be “Titus”!! And trust me I’m going to take TONS of pictures! <3
Sweet I will make sure to check out the gun dog supply!! I went to pet co to find collars and I was so lost on what sizes to get. (all of the family dogs we have had, have been rescues so we never had them as puppies only as adults! And this is my 1st puppy of my own!  )
Okay so a wire crate would be best? Because that’s what I’m looking for! But I’m not sure if wire crates fits in cars like the plastic kennels do!
Thank you so much for the videos!! You rock!!
Thank you so much for the link on dog food as well! :D

Hello!
I’m up in Nor cal by the Sacramento area.
Oh wow those are some hard core collars! I will have to check them out as well! That’s for all the info!! :D

Re: Hello from Cali!

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:22 pm
by Christie M
Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

Congratulations on your upcoming new addition!

Please take a minute and visit the User Control Panel as well, and create a signature for yourself that includes your name. It helps us remember who is who, especially with all of the welcome new guests.